Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Deo85

Re: Old space game

said by Deo85:

wait how does one classify a "old game" when a gamer can have been playing video games as early as in the 80's some of us were born then others of us were old enough to game then... hell some of us on here can be in there 50's + and gamed back then...

I suppose if you speak of PC gaming specifically and use the birth of the 386 and 486 processors to set a beginning timeline, then you could start with DOS games as being the oldest?

I was a child when I got my first PC but Windows 3.1 wasn't out yet and I could only play games in DOS. I did have a 5.25 floppy on my first PC.

First CD Drive was such an awesome moment too.

In any case, X3 is a very modern and still new franchise since expansions are coming out every 2 years or so at the most. And now, X Rebirth is a total game redesign, and is set to go out this year.

Anyone remember playing Wing Commander III and IV? Luke Skywalker was in those games!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

I'll admit using old as an adjective is too qualitative, that being said, to me, X3 from '05 is an old game.
So to clarify, my own opinion is that any game that came out when 4:3 monitors were the standard, and win'98/2000 were used is an old game.
I'm glad there are patches/expansions etc to bring X into the present, with all the bells and whistles that are now available, and am looking forward to the new standalone rebirth.
I wish they would do that with the original Homeworld, still the best (IMHO) rts space game ever made. Best use of the z-axis I have ever seen.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Deo85

join:2012-10-19

what about sins of the solar empire? that was so fare the best rts for space games to me so fare.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

I love sins, but it is no Homeworld.
There is no z-axis in sins.
Nor is there any way for me to hide salvage corvettes far above (or below) a baited dreadnaught, then use them to steal it away (while it was busy battling the destroyers I set on it).
At one point my whole fleet was made up of stolen carriers, destroyers, dreadnaughts, crazy ion-shooting white ships.....
Good times, good times.
--
~ Project Hope ~

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to EUS

Homeworld is a gem of a game, Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 even more so.

Homeworld 3 is apparently in development.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

I'm shocked to see that you enjoyed Cataclysm & HW2 better!
I couldn't finish, couldn't even go 5 chapters with HW2, it was such a disappointing departure from HW.
--
~ Project Hope ~