spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

missgrits

@wildblue.net

Help!

Looked @ Millenicom a number of times, the site always said good for the Advanced plan but we always deferred. I already had a 760 and a UMW 190 Modem from Verizon, using them at a previous address. Here, when I tried them my signal Bars showed 1, sometimes rarely 2 more often than not none, hence I put off the Millenicom choice.

Today, I checked Verizon's coverage map, I do it every 6 months or so and found that now I'm in the 4G LTE Extended area, the main coverage stopping at the "T" Junction at the end of our road, but going down the other side opposite me about 75 to 100' away at most.

Haha says I, straight to Millenicon site to do a coverage check, still 3G which I know is no good. They are still offering the Basic, Advanced and Hotspot 3G only, 4G No. Now 3G is still out, signal strength still low. Plugged in my old modems to find out. My question is, will something boost my signal enough to give me 4G, how do I check before 1), spending a bundle to find it doesn't work 2). do it all b4 my husband gets back from overseas, I have about a month.

So experts out there, please. Suggestions. Thankyou

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by missgrits :

how do I check before 1), spending a bundle to find it doesn't work 2). do it all b4 my husband gets back from overseas, I have about a month.

Have a party, invite friends with verizon and sprint phones, run speed tests, jot down results, get a mcom plan on the one that works best

Make sure you invite friends with LTE phones

uptospeed

join:2012-10-28
North Collins, NY

They give you 24 hours to try it out, no good just return.
They showed no service in my area but when I checked version I was in 4G, maybe they have not updated the maps. Go by the verizon maps. They are upgrading and adding towers all the time.

/bp

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to missgrits

Keep in mind that you should invite your friends over. If you and they can't do it on Verizon Millenicom will be the exact same as it's exactly the same equipment.

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA
reply to missgrits

You could also buy a cell phone at wal-mart or something and return it after running a test

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1

said by boondockEVDO:

You could also buy a cell phone at wal-mart or something and return it after running a test

Um, walmart has stopped taking back phones etc from what i'm told..

Bosgarage57

join:2010-09-02
Sevierville, TN
reply to missgrits

why not going to your local VZW, signing up for a hotspot, trying it and then returning it within 14 days? I think you will have to pay a small fee ($35 or so), but that way you know for sure or not.

Radar_oiiio

@futuremoldcorp.com

Getting a hotspot from Verizon dealer is how I tested, they gave me one to try for three days, didn't have to sign up for plan or anything

twilitezoe

join:2012-08-22
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to missgrits

My setup is 3G by Millenicom/Sprint with Sierra 598U 3G modem. I am using a mobile antenna near a window on second floor. It works, however, I am also using a dual band signal amp since I want best possible connection. It looks like your UMW190 can accept external antenna.
Your modems are 3G only, correct?
It sounds like you're close enough to 4G that it might work with antenna system. If you know someone that has a 4G Verizon smartphone there are some apps that can help pinpoint the towers used. If it's safe, I'd even try the phone on the roof to see what kind of 4G signal/data performance it gets.

Other possibilities:

See what the neighbors/business use other than satellite. (I used to have Hughes)

There might be a wireless ISP that could work with line of sight system. They offer decent speed (Tall antenna may be needed, WISP companies may offer a survey for a small fee. They may also know if your area will work ahead of time.)

You could check with Verizon store if one is not too far for 4G. Check their return policy.

T-Mobile also offers a unlimited data package but it is pricey and may be limited to certain devices.

CLEAR offers WiMaX 4G but only near metros and they're not expanding coverage as far as I know.

There is a company called unlimited 4G. Somewhat like Millenicom. About all you can do is contact them to see if service is available.

I'm going to guess you're far enough away from DSL or Cable.

lunanox315

join:2012-09-27
Martinsburg, WV
reply to missgrits

2 weeks ago I went to to the local Verizon store and they loaned me the Hotspot modem for a night completely free to test out my 4g coverage at my home. I would definately give this a try - completely free and tell you alot. I even drove around my neighborhood area to see what areas had better signal and where the signal was coming from.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to decifal

15 days now.... SOL after that.

said by decifal:

said by boondockEVDO:

Um, walmart has stopped taking back phones etc from what i'm told..

missgrits

@wildblue.net

Finally got someone over who has Verizon and Motorola Smartphone ran something to check speed got 2713 and 1517 from the front porch, happened to be a delivery guy. Is this good or bad? What to do

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

That is excellent for 3G, not so good for LTE

missgrits

@wildblue.net

One further question if I may.

Do smartphones have a better antenna incorporated than a USB 3G adapter?

The reason I ask is that the UPS guy that checked his speeds for me said he was getting "all" bars on the porch. We had a friend for dinner yesterday who had his laptop with usb and he was only getting 2 bars and only half the speed.