dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0

Canada: sharing 6gb DATA w/other device without tethering?

• Handset model SGH-i747 Samsung Galaxy S3

• Service provider Fido Rogers (Canada)

• Type of service (GSM)

• Canada

Hey Guys I was thinking about how I could use my 6gb more easily with other devices in the household. I find tethering is ok but I remembered that there used to be a procedure where shady individuals used to clone sim cards.

Would it be possible to use the same cloning technique to use data on a secondary sim in a ipad. So two sim cards 1 account with 6gb data?

seems like a good way to use my data
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

cloning unique identifiers

First of all, it would probably be illegal.

Second, even if you do manage to clone a SIM card, what makes you think that it would be possible for two different devices to connect to the very same network all at once using the exact same identifiers?

Try using the same IP address, or the same MAC address, for multiple devices on your home network at the same time, and see if you get anywhere with such a setup.
ConstantineM

ConstantineM

tethering for a home network

The best approach I can advise is to tether the phone with a router, and then use your devices connected to the router as if it was just a regular internet connection (and you'll obviously run out of your 6GB in no time!).

For example, my buggy ZyXEL NBG4615 can have its "Sys OP Mode" changed from "Router Mode" to something like "WISP + UR Mode".
said by »192.168.1.1/local/advanc ··· ame.html »192.168.26.1/local/advan ··· Mode.asp :
WISP + UR Mode: In this mode, the device acts as both access point and wireless client and also maintains router function. The wireless connection is treated as WAN, while the LAN broadcast as Wi-Fi signals for other wireless client devices to connect to.

Not every router supports these features, though. I think most Netgear routers don't.

Such a setup is especially very convenient if you're travelling with all your portable devices, and, depending on where you are, can either tether them all to an Ethernet port at the place, a public WiFi, or WiFi from your own phone, without changing any settings on your laptops/tablets/settopboxes etc. And should the place require a captive login, only one such login would be required, since your Router will only acquire one IP address from their Public WiFi, and use local addressing on your LAN, doing a NAT between LAN and WAN.
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0

Re: Canada: sharing 6gb DATA w/other device without tethering?

I was considering this as an option because sometimes I like to use my ipad without necessarily having my phone on me in some instances. So having no secondary wireless link seemed logical also this would mean that I would not use two devices at the same time. Why do you say that the IP address would be the same? Is it attributed by the sim card?