how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

saeedb

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Martin

Re: [DSL] How to Setup a Static IP to My computer

I already have " 1 IP Address $4.00 / month ". Do you mean I need to order "/30 2 IP Addresses $5.00 / month". So what is the point for having first "1 IP address"?

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2

Are you sure you know what you need the static IP for?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to saeedb

as MFido See Profile said... Maybe understanding your use for the Static IP, may help understand what needs to be asked or said to you.

saeedb

@teksavvy.com
reply to MFido

said by MFido:

Are you sure you know what you need the static IP for?

Yes
I need to host a small application on a computer for test purpose.
The application is ruining with Apache+ Tomcat.

Thanks.

freesupport

@bell.ca

if your doing remote access to your pc and you need to ask this sort of question your probably writing off your internet connection in some way already. just pay someone to pay for your setup

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to saeedb

Well you could simply do a port forwarding rule on the router to the Box hosting your services. Then only the static IP received from the PPPoE connection would be required.

If you want to have a static IP for that Machine specifically, then that when a /30 or /29 could be usefull. The router would get a static IP & then you can set a gateway/static IP for the box you want online.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

saeedb

@teksavvy.com

Thank you.
I will go with port forwarding for now. Will order /30 or /29 later.

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

said by saeedb :

Thank you.
I will go with port forwarding for now. Will order /30 or /29 later.

I doubt you'll ever need them, that's only for situations where you need multiple IPs. Unless you end up running multiple servers with port conflicts that won't be an issue. I use my router to forward ports to multiple servers within my network. 8080 goes to one, 8022 to another, etc.
--
Taylor Byrnes

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to saeedb

You don't need more than 1 static IP unless you have more than 1 server and you want them to have different IP addresses on the web. Or if you want your server to have an IP address that's distinct from all the other computers on your network.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, port forwarding is the way to go, and it's simple to setup. You probably want to assign a static (LAN) IP address for your server (e.g. 192.168.1.2), but that doesn't require an extra public static IP address.