join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

Re: [Lore] Klaxxi, sha, spoilers, speculation

Know Your Lore TFH: Flesh of the Makers

by Matthew Rossi Nov 7th 2012 at 12:00PM

The World of Warcraft is an expansive universe. You're playing the game, you're fighting the bosses, you know the how -- but do you know the why? Each week, Matthew Rossi and Anne Stickney make sure you Know Your Lore by covering the history of the story behind World of Warcraft.

Spoilers for Mists of Pandaria and Patch 5.1 in this post

This post is a Tinfoil Hat continuing off of concepts found in that previous post, so be warned.

Okay, now we jump off from there. Because this all started when discussing the recent patch 5.1 sound files, one of which includes a voice file of a certain king reading aloud a description of the Divine Bell. What's the Divine Bell? Well, according to said voice files, it was a device crafted by the ancient mogu which, when struck, resounded with a sound that caused fury and chaos, and drove the mogu armies into a state of frenzy and rage that made them unbeatable in combat. And it was supposedly "cast from the Makers' flesh, shaped by star's fire, and bound by the breath of darkest shadow." As you might expect, the first question I asked was, what does cast from the Makers' flesh mean?

Throughout Pandaria we've seen evidence of the Titans presence and their work in reshaping Azeroth. Both Mogu'shan Palace and Vaults as well as the yet unexplored Terrace of Endless Spring hold hints of being constructed by the Titans or their servants, just as Ulduar and Uldum and Uldaman were. The discs that create Elegon remind us of the discs of Norgannon left behind in Uldaman, although warped by the Mogu. And we've repeatedly been told that the mogu were themselves once a race of brutes exposed to the waters of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, uplifted by its waters just as the ancient silithid became the Qiraji before being warped by the Old Gods, just as the night elves were. But all of that doesn't quite answer one question - where did the mogu get the flesh of a Maker? And more importantly, if the Divine Bell is merely the greatest creation of the mogu, does that mean they were working with such rare materials before they cast the Bell?

The flesh of the maker is not flesh

What we know of the Titans is fragmentary at best. In fact, we don't know much at all outside of some names and a vague history told to us by servants. What they're like, what they do, these are things we have very little understanding of. We know that they left enormous installations on the surface of Azeroth, but even then, we have no idea if the Titans themselves ever walked those halls or if they were crafted for their servitors and creations to inhabit. Ulduar, for instance, is enormous and populated by Watchers and giants, but we could fairly easily assume that the Titans themselves are many times larger than those we encountered in the complex. It was strongly hinted during the War of the Ancients that Sargeras required almost all the power of the Well of Eternity merely to enter Azeroth, and the avatar of Sargeras used to deceive Aegwynn was itself massive. It may seem foolish to belabor that the Titans were big - of course they were big, you might be shouting, they're called Titans - but here one needs to consider that it may not be merely size that's the issue.

The Titans are entities of vast power. We know of the Pantheon, the council that leads and directs its efforts, again mostly from the evocations and invocations of their servants such as Freya in Ulduar calling upon Eonar for aid. The Pantheon is said to be the leadership of the Titans as a race, however, which implies there are many, many more of them. Furthermore, the fall of Sargeras shows us that the Titans embody ideals and personify cosmic forces, and when a Titan's mind or beliefs change, so too does their body. Before his fall, Sargeras is said to have been a mighty bronze skinned warrior, but as he began to doubt the wisdom of the Titans' mission his form began to shift and crack, and as his anger and resentment grew, Sargeras' body melted and exploded outward in a shower of flame, warping him into a seething demonic presence.

The dream embodied

What this implies is staggering. The Titans are conceptual beings, entities who so embody and personify ideas that their very flesh can and does change if the ideals they hold are changed. When Sargeras went from Defender to Destroyer, he didn't just change his mind about the wisdom of his people's effort to shape the cosmos, he changed what he was. So, too, for Aggramar. Becoming the Avenger didn't mean what it would for a mortal being, it was a literal transformation and transfiguration, a shift in not merely identity but being as well, because the two aspects of existence are one for a Titan. Who you are is what you are made of, and to change the one is to alter the other. The soul of a Titan shapes its flesh.

Now, consider the mogu again. We're told that they were changed and shaped by the waters of the vale, just as the Well of Eternity itself changed and shaped other species and life itself. Why would it do that? How does it do that? Because that is what a Titan is. The Titans are seen by us as creatures of Order because they seem driven to shape and mold, but what if that's a necessity for them? Imagine a being whose very physical substance changes as their thoughts do, wouldn't they by necessity have to find a way to maintain a baseline, to preserve a coherent identity? The Titans impose order upon the chaos of existence externally as a means to impose it internally, because the Titans are themselves ultimate chaos. The Old Gods? Pretenders. They can't make anything, they merely corrupt and take pleasure in the corruption. They impose chaos, as they did upon Azeroth, because they are stagnant, ultimately leading only to destruction and ultimately, the orderly progression of nothingness.

Thieves who stole divine fire

When considering the mogu, we're struck on the one hand by their constant displays of short sightedness (the pandaren describe them as thugs, and we see them clearly unable to conceive of anyone ever defeating them) and their astonishing magical secrets. Their ability shape flesh and twist souls to animate unliving stone is astonishing. But we're told repeatedly that they also gained great knowledge from places like Mogu'shan Vaults, stealing and building upon Titan secrets. And one of the things that's been haunting me is how the Elegon chamber reminds me of several places I've seen before, such as the chamber just past the Assembly of Iron, or even more the Tribunal of Ages. We know that each complex seems to have been built with a specific purpose in mind - Uldaman as a data storage facility keeping the location of the Discs of Norgannon and pointing towards Uldum, Ulduar as a complex meant to monitor the progression of Azeroth, Uldum itself as the home to the means to Re-Originate the world should its development be imperiled - so what purpose do the Titan facilities in Pandaria serve? What were they for? Why are they there? What purpose did the Forge of the Endless originally fulfill? We're told the mogu repurposed the facility, so what was it originally intended to do? We know from Ulduar that there were similar forges that created iron vrykul and dwarves... did the mogu alter such a creation engine to make more of themselves, and what does that say about them?

And all of this makes me wonder about the Divine Bell, 'cast from the flesh of the Makers" - so let us suppose for a moment that the postulation is true, that a Titan died and its 'blood' is the Well of Eternity, the waters of the Vale. What does it mean to kill a Titan, whose body changes to match its mind? I postulate to you that the Titans are enfleshed thought. They are concepts incarnated in matter. Look at how Sargeras twisted and warped as his thoughts did. The Titans seek to promote order throughout the cosmos to tame the writhing incoherent chaos of their own natures - they themselves are pure chaos, pure power given form. They deform reality wherever they go because they have no choice, and shape worlds to be orderly as a defense against their own chaos seeking to render them spiritually amorphous. They take on obsessions and become these obsessions - Eonar embodies life and its preservation, Norgannon becomes a keeper of secrets and magic, Aman'thul time itself - because these are limits they impose upon themselves. They need limits, because without them, there would be no definition, they would be everything and if you're everything at once you're effectively nothing at all. We've seen repeatedly in the Warcraft universe the concept of opposites providing each other with such definition - the naaru life cycle, as an example. Without boundaries, the Titans become what?

To mold that which molded you

Well, if we're right, then the dead Titan shows us. In order to kill a Titan, a being whose form changes and shifts with her or his belief, then you first have to convince it that it is dead. Once it dies, it releases that hold it maintain on itself, that series of obsessions and concepts that provided it with a definition, a limitation to believe itself to be. In death, the Titan goes from embodied concept to disembodied potential - it can be anything, because it no longer is specifically anything. Thus the rush of raw, wild, chaotic energy untainted by good or evil, fel or arcane - the Well simply is. But what happens to the body when the spirit is released?

Azeroth as it exists today exists after the battle between the Old Gods and the Titans that slew an Old God, and seems to have slain a Titan as well. If we accept that the Well was the manifestation of the 'blood' of the Titan, its pure potential power leading forth like blood from a wound, then what of its body? The body of a Titan reflects what it believes itself to be. If the Titan believes itself to be dead, then the body would no longer have belief to direct its transformation. Yet it would still be that body, still be composed of material that was shapeable, directable by sufficient essential energy. Imagine, therefore, that the purpose of the installations was to house that body, and the mogu stumbled upon it. What secrets could it teach them? This would be a flesh that once contained a soul unlike anything ever seen. Even if imperfectly understood, even if much of the data from the discs was corrupted, and even if it was misapplied by the grasping hands of those with more arrogance than sense, this alone could have catapulted them to power.

From what source comes the clay that shapes the terracotta warriors? Our own flesh is often called clay, or dust - can so be said of the flesh of a maker? Did the mogu trade their mortal flesh for that of a fallen Titan, carve new homes for their soulds from the bones of a being whose body changes to reflect what it houses? And for that matter, do we know what Azeroth itself is made of? The Titans are often depicted as metallic, and the Titans are often divided into entities of storm and entities of fire, beings of the natural forces that shape our world. Did the death of a Titan unleash the beginning of Azeroth's current existence? Did it reshape the world? Did it Re-Originate the world? Is the world itself made of the flesh of a Maker?

In the end, we don't know. We know only that the mogu, despite their flaws, somehow learned secrets that allowed them to do what no other race on Azeroth can, to bind the souls of their own people and others into stone and make it live. And they learned this secret from ancient Titan ruins. And during the reign of the Thunder King, they shaped the flesh of a Maker, or so they claimed. The rest is conjecture.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I think the old God that died didn't exacly die but more of split into 7 Sha, and at some point the Sha will reform.

BTW notice the Sha of anger says "you will not bury me again"

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

said by DarkLogix:

BTW notice the Sha of anger says "you will not bury me again"

I mean, he does spawn out of the dirt...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Also I think that as the sha are feed by anger, doubt, hate, Despair, Violence, Fear, and such negative emotions that as the war grows and those emotions grow the Sha will get stronger till they manage to reform into the old god.

And maybe the Titan will some how come back.

Ok our new leader the Sha of Happiness is like the red headed step child of the sha family. (lets call him #8)
Aeo
join:2008-10-10
Tahlequah, OK

Aeo

said by DarkLogix:

Ok our new leader the Sha of Happiness is like the red headed step child of the sha family. (lets call him #8)

On ESPN 8 "The Ocho" right?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Immer there's another "know your lore TFHE" about the sha

they speculate the 7th might be the sha of shame.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Know Your Lore: The Sha :
There's the Sha of Anger in Kun-Lai, the Sha of Despair that haunts the temple of Chi-Ji. There's the Sha of Doubt that wreaked havoc in the Jade Forest, and the Sha of Violence in Shado-Pan Monastary. And then we have the Sha of Hatred in the Townlong Steppes, and of course the Sha of Fear that we will eventually see in the Terrace of Endless Spring, the Sha that haunted the Grand Empress of the mantid.

That would be six Sha. We're missing one. Where is it, and what does it represent? What negative emotion are we missing? The one that immediately springs to mind is guilt or shame -- something that we as Alliance and Horde are experiencing in small doses right now. But that doesn't seem to be enough to invoke a Sha, does it? I guess we'd really have to mess up huge for a Sha of Shame to show up. I mean, it'd probably take entire armies of Alliance and Horde ripping the continent apart in their haze of hatred and violence.

Oh wait, aren't those forces arriving in a future patch?

I'm really enjoying reading those "know your lore" articles again. Cool stuff.

Got my new Pandaren Monk through the starter quests. Interesting how "equally" they presented the choice of Alliance or Horde... really put a shine on the "nobility" of the Horde. Only those of us who have seen Thrall be replaced by Garrosh would know better.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by Immer:

said by Know Your Lore: The Sha :
There's the Sha of Anger in Kun-Lai, the Sha of Despair that haunts the temple of Chi-Ji. There's the Sha of Doubt that wreaked havoc in the Jade Forest, and the Sha of Violence in Shado-Pan Monastary. And then we have the Sha of Hatred in the Townlong Steppes, and of course the Sha of Fear that we will eventually see in the Terrace of Endless Spring, the Sha that haunted the Grand Empress of the mantid.

That would be six Sha. We're missing one. Where is it, and what does it represent? What negative emotion are we missing? The one that immediately springs to mind is guilt or shame -- something that we as Alliance and Horde are experiencing in small doses right now. But that doesn't seem to be enough to invoke a Sha, does it? I guess we'd really have to mess up huge for a Sha of Shame to show up. I mean, it'd probably take entire armies of Alliance and Horde ripping the continent apart in their haze of hatred and violence.

Oh wait, aren't those forces arriving in a future patch?

I'm really enjoying reading those "know your lore" articles again. Cool stuff.

Got my new Pandaren Monk through the starter quests. Interesting how "equally" they presented the choice of Alliance or Horde... really put a shine on the "nobility" of the Horde. Only those of us who have seen Thrall be replaced by Garrosh would know better.

Regardless of Garrosh (and the whole demon blood thing) the Orcs have the highest honor standards in the whole lore.

See Broxigar.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

that's one orc. I'd entertain a vote for the tauren or trolls over the orcs.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Here's another good one

»wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/ ··· ndering/

might whitepeddle lake really be the well of eternity?

and might that mean that when doing dailies we're some days swimming in titan blood?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Thrall, Durotan his father, Ogrim Doomhammer even Grom Hellscream were highly honorable Orcs.

. The whole demon blood and Guldan messed things up

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Jobbie:

The whole demon blood and Guldan messed things up

It did... and that's the point. You can't maintain that the Orcs are an honorable race right now... just because they were during the war of the Ancients. Thrall became great, but had to re-connect with his ancestry... and had to renounce the Warchief in order to do so. Broxigar was a great warrior, and the embodiment of honor. But that's it. The Orcs of today... have sullied themselves for empty glory and vein conquest. Even Saurfang was a good leader. They are a mess right now. I respect Eitregg... but he stands set-apart from the orcs. Those who resist in secret are put to death by the Kor'kron. What honor and glory they once had was stamped out when Garrosh decided to get in league with Blackrock orcs.

Thrall brought honor back to the Orcs... Garrosh is trading that Honor for what he considers to be Glory.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

And Garrosh stole from the blue dragons to attack the only one that wanted peace so badly that she risked everything, and lost everything.

Personally I hope Jaina shows up at some point and plays an important role in MoP.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

said by Jobbie:

The whole demon blood and Guldan messed things up

The Orcs of today... have sullied themselves for empty glory and vein conquest.

You mean Garrosh, he is dragging the Orcs as a race and the whole Horde to what you say. That doesn't mean that the Orcs have no nobility.
jofos
join:2008-02-14
Irvington, AL

jofos to Jobbie

to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

Thrall, Durotan his father, Ogrim Doomhammer even Grom Hellscream were highly honorable Orcs.

. The whole demon blood and Guldan messed things up

Orcs must die!!!! oh wait, wrong game. carry on.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

...the Orcs have the highest honor standards in the whole lore.

This is what I'm currently arguing against. Thanks to Garrosh, the Blackrocks, and all those who cheer Garrosh... this statement cannot be made of the orcs of today. Like I said... if we were talking about Tauren or Trolls, I'd entertain that notion more readily.

The Orcs had great ancestors... they need great contemporaries to rise up.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

1 recommendation

Jobbie

Premium Member

On that I can agree for sure.