uniqs
share rss forum feed

AntBee
Premium
join:2002-12-06
Moncton, NB

[OS X] Help! Computer Won't Boot Up, Says It Needs to Restore

Hi Guys:
My computer started acting up all of a sudden. I am on Mountain Lion, 10.8.1, 4 gigs of RAM
Whenever I restart my computer, it wants me to do a restore. I have time machine backups, and I can choose the disk where the backups are stored. The problem is, I can't choose my internal disk that needs to be restored. I was able to see it once, started the restore, then the restore said there was a problem and had to restart. I haven't been able to see my internal disk since, just the external where the backups are, plus another external where I keep a lot of music.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do?
Thanks for any help!
--
-Poor little Tink Tink-
Kat Williams

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Re: [OS X] Help! Computer Won't Boot Up, Says It Needs to Resto

When the computer starts up from the Restore partition, select the option to open Disk Utility.

Find your computer's main volume (usually Macintosh HD), select erase, and format it. If you just see a drive without any partitions listed in the left pane, then you will have to erase the entire disk (select the entire disk, go to Erase and so on). This will also erase your restore partition, so it's a bit more dangerous - don't reboot until you've restored your OS from the backups.

Standard warning: erasing will ... erase.. all the data on your internal drive. If your backups are good, there shouldn't be any issue doing this.

Also, make sure you don't erase your backup drive!
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to AntBee

If I'm correct, even if you follow Thinkdiff See Profile's recommendations, you still won't see the disk. Seeing it once and then not seeing it again is the hallmark of a dead disk. If you can't find it under Disk Utility, it's dead.

What model computer do you have? How old is it? Presuming it's more than a year old and doesn't use flash storage, like the mac book air, your best bet to fix the dead drive is to buy a new drive from amazon, install it, then choose it as the drive to restore to (following Thinkdiff See Profile's instructions for formatting the disk first)

The Momentus XT drives have an SSD cache in them, similar to (but different from) how the FusionDrive in the new iMacs work. It's not as fast as an SSD, but it will be leaps faster than the hard drive you have in your mac now.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by Daemon:

If I'm correct, even if you follow Thinkdiff See Profile's recommendations, you still won't see the disk. Seeing it once and then not seeing it again is the hallmark of a dead disk. If you can't find it under Disk Utility, it's dead.

Sounds to me that he's not seeing the partition listed in the OS X Installer / Time Machine Restore section. In my experience, this usually means the partition table is corrupt or there are so many FS errors that fsck fails and the disk is unmountable. Reformatting usually works. It can also be the case that the disk is dying - in which case, the format and installation will probably fail at some point.

I've only seen an entire disk completely disappear from Disk Utility when there were very serious hardware issues.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

AntBee
Premium
join:2002-12-06
Moncton, NB
reply to AntBee

Thank you, Thinkdiff and Daemon! I think my disk is dead. I can hear it trying to work, but it just makes a plinking noise. I can get to a point where it will allow me to choose to restore, but then it stops at less than 3%, saying the disk cannot be restored. I figured I would have to get a new HD, but I can't install it myself, because I have a 2008 model iMac, so I will take it to an authorized repair shop. I hope it doesn't cost a lot.
Thanks again!
--
-Poor little Tink Tink-
Kat Williams