All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jace26
join:2012-11-07

jace26

Moto SB6120 help pls!

I just signed up for Comcast after our move and am trying to use my Motorola SB6120 cable modem for Blast internet. I have previously used this modem with Midcontinent Communications internet. The modem powers and the send and receive lights are steady with a flashing online light. Phone tech was no help, a technician came out and said signal to the house was good, and his modem connected just fine. Modem is currently connected with one splitter in line.

Here is what the modem's page says about signal:
Channel ID 2
Frequency 585000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
1 dBmV
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 7
Frequency 36000000 Hz
Ranging Service ID n/a
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level 39 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success
Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2
Total Unerrored Codewords 7843248
Total Correctable Codewords 0
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 1437

Here is the address:
Serial Number: 186901901700599305020011
HFC MAC Address: 00-22-10-39-24-E8
Customer S/N: 09gw168hk9z8

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross

MVM

You should remove the HFC MAC address from your post.

What is the firmware version? It's on the HELP page. There was an issue where some older firmware would no longer allow a connection. Since the only way to update the firmware is through a connection, you end up with a Catch-22 situation. One fix was to connect the modem in an area that had a CMTS that was still compatible with the old firmware.

Normally, it should eventually connect, and do a firmware update if needed. You then end up in the walled garden until it is provisioned.

Also, have you tried the "Reset All Defaults" button on the Configuration screen, then rebooting?

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

So what's your problem? Take out the splitter and see what you get. Your upstream power level is a bit low. Should be in the 40's. Hook it up without a splitter and check your levels again.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by not :

So what's your problem? Take out the splitter and see what you get. Your upstream power level is a bit low. Should be in the 40's. Hook it up without a splitter and check your levels again.

FWIW, that will make the upstream power even lower..

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

Also, have you tried the "Reset All Defaults" button on the Configuration screen, then rebooting?

that plus a full powercycle, SHOULD be all you need.
If the techs modem worked on YOUR computer, and the powercycle sequence above doesn't work, you should check with Motorola.
DCLocal
join:2000-12-25
Citrus Heights, CA

DCLocal to jace26

to jace26
As already mentioned, reset the modem, power cycle it and then let it sit overnight. Eventually it will receive a firmware update and you should be in business. I had hassles with my 6120 at first to; it kept rebooting on it's own. I finally did a reset, rebooted it and left it overnight and from then on it has bee rock solid.

not
@comcast.net

not to EG

Anon

to EG
said by EG:

Taking out a splitter doesn't lower the values. The values are off by a bit and not perfect. Making sure he's not splitting off ten thousand times and he's got a good run from the feed should be his first test. If even that doesn't work, then it's a Comcast issue he needs to call and check on.... first being if they have the right MAC in the system and second to make sure it's not been blacklisted for some reason.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by not :

said by EG:

Taking out a splitter doesn't lower the values.

Yes it will lower the upstream power and raise the downstream power, sorry. Removing attenuation will lower the upstream power because the modem doesn't have to shout as loudly to be heard by the CMTS. Attenuation affects the upstream and downstream power levels in opposite ways....