share rss forum feed

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Wolfie00

Re: Anti-microbial soap recalled over microbial contamination

said by Wolfie00:

The fact that you've apparently never heard of systemic absorption doesn't make it any less real.

The fact you have no evidence whatsoever of systemic absorption of Triclosan causing ANY kind of effect on humans DOES make it unreal.

said by Wolfie00:

There is a huge difference between lack of positively conclusive evidence and proof of safety.

And there is a huge difference between actual risk and alarmist propaganda.

Pure water CAN be toxic to humans, yet it's not a toxic product and there's no real safety concern about it's use.

said by Wolfie00:

In fact because of the conservative nature of scientific conclusions, lack of conclusive evidence of health risk is almost meaningless as it can persist for decades even as the evidence builds -- as was the case for many years with tobacco. Even now some claim that there's not enough "evidence" for the health risks of tobacco, while in other circles the argument has moved to the defense of second-hand smoke. There is plenty of evidence for the potential risks of Triclosan and many related phenols, and both the FDA and Health Canada are monitoring the evidence.

...and there is plenty of evidence for the absence of risk of Triclosan in the form of the numerous tests that have been done to assess precisely those risks.

said by Wolfie00:

I'm not trying to claim that it's any kind of great immediate hazard, based on what we currently know, but it's grossly irresponsible to make a public post suggesting that there's nothing to worry about.

I'm sure you know better than Health Canada and the FDA.

said by Wolfie00:

Antibiotics are regulated for just that reason. Polychlorinated phenoxy phenols are not.

The EPA disagrees with you. It's regulated as a pesticide:
»www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsh···n_fs.htm

said by Wolfie00:

You must be confusing hand sanitizers with soap.

You must be experiencing difficulties understanding simple English. I specifically mentioned soap in my statement and the fact soap is not always a practical or available solution.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by IamGimli:

said by Wolfie00:

You must be confusing hand sanitizers with soap.

You must be experiencing difficulties understanding simple English. I specifically mentioned soap in my statement and the fact soap is not always a practical or available solution.

The stuff that's being recalled is soap... If regular soap isn't practical in a situation, neither is this stuff.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
said by bt:

The stuff that's being recalled is soap... If regular soap isn't practical in a situation, neither is this stuff.

Correct. On the other subject, there are documented risks with systemic absorption of all PCPP's. How big the risk is, and how that should govern its use, is an evolving issue on which each individual can make his/her own decision, until and unless the FDA or HC steps in with an outright ban. I'm not going to waste my time engaging in yet another pointless Internet debate with the previous poster.