Search similar:

uniqs

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

1 edit

Morac

They are only allowing FaceTime on the iPhone 5.

quote:
In the meantime, we are announcing today that we will support FaceTime, not only on our Mobile Share plans, but also on all of our tiered data plans with an LTE device.

The only LTE device is the iPhone 5 (and technically the iPad). So people with iPhone 4 or 4S won't be getting this, even if they are on a tiered plan. They'll still need to get the mobile share plan.

Even iPhone 5 users could end up not getting this. It requires being in an area with LTE.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

I wonder who uses facetime? Who is most common user? couples? My friend has iphone but we rarely even talk on the phone, most of the time we exchange text messages. And when this happens where I can't text (like on road) then I use Siri. Its still too dangerous hassle to use when driving and only use it when I am on complete stop (like at stoplight), otherwise I call back hands free or don't respond at all.

I have never used video chat except a few years ago with my sister on MSN messenger. We used it so my parents could see grandchildren. But now that we live close to each other we no longer need it.

I noticed now more companies are willing to make job interviews over conference calls. I haven't yet come across that does video over Skype but I heard a few already do that.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

I think people like grandparent's and people who travel overseas and the like.

Two examples:

1. My Mom bought an iPhone so she could FaceTime with my brother and his wife to see her recently born grandchild.

2. She FaceTimed me from her vacation in Europe since it didn't cost here anything (hotel had Wifi).

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Morac

Premium Member

to Morac
said by Morac:

quote:
In the meantime, we are announcing today that we will support FaceTime, not only on our Mobile Share plans, but also on all of our tiered data plans with an LTE device.

The only LTE device is the iPhone 5 (and technically the iPad). So people with iPhone 4 or 4S won't be getting this, even if they are on a tiered plan. They'll still need to get the mobile share plan.

Even iPhone 5 users could end up not getting this. It requires being in an area with LTE.

You are full of crap. Countless Androids on AT&T support LTE, including mine, and have since way before the iphone5 came out. I purchased my Pantech Burst in February 2012. Great phone at a good price. Sure, Facetime is an Apple thing, but there are countless ways to video chat on Android. SIP clients and Yahoo Messenger, just to name a couple. There are many more, but those 2 I personally use and can verify work nicely, even over HSPA+.
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01

said by Selenia:

said by Morac:

quote:

You are full of crap. Countless Androids on AT&T support LTE, including mine, and have since way before the iphone5 came out. I purchased my Pantech Burst in February 2012. Great phone at a good price. Sure, Facetime is an Apple thing, but there are countless ways to video chat on Android. SIP clients and Yahoo Messenger, just to name a couple. There are many more, but those 2 I personally use and can verify work nicely, even over HSPA+.

this is a discussion concerning facetime and use on the netwrok - last time I looked a android was not capable of running facetime, LTE or not - in the context of the subject matter, the iphone 5 IS the only LTE device that would qualify for utilizing FACETIME over a tieredplan

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day

ff1324 to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99
said by chgo_man99:

I wonder who uses facetime? Who is most common user? couples?

Anyone who travels or spends the night away from home that has kids.
sam64
join:2006-07-31
Newtown, PA

sam64 to Morac

to Morac
Who needs FaceTime.....I will continue to use Skype for all my video chats. It works well over WiFi and 3G and I do not have to think about the person on the other side having an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Regarding who uses video calling/chat -- people who travel overseas and want to be more than just a voice over the phone with their significant other/kids, parents, grandparents, tutors,...
I am sure there are others.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac to Selenia

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

Fandroid much?

This is a discussion about AT&T allowing FaceTime over LTE. Which of the many Android LTE phones support FaceTime?
Morac

Morac to sam64

to sam64
said by sam64:

Who needs FaceTime.....I will continue to use Skype for all my video chats. It works well over WiFi and 3G and I do not have to think about the person on the other side having an iPhone/iPod Touch.

The problem with Skype is it needs to be manually installed and setup (need an account, etc). FaceTime comes pre-installed on every iOS device as such if I want to contact someone who has an iPhone, iPad, etc, I don't need to call them up first and explain to them how to install Skype and set it up. FaceTime just works.

Not to mention that Skype on the iPhone,et al, drains the battery a lot more than FaceTime does since FaceTime uses Apple's push notifications to set up "calls", while Skype uses Apple's VOIP background service so it needs to be "running" to take calls. In other words Skype drains the battery even when you aren't using it. FaceTime does not.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Morac

Premium Member

to Morac
said by Morac:

said by Selenia:

Fandroid much?

This is a discussion about AT&T allowing FaceTime over LTE. Which of the many Android LTE phones support FaceTime?

As if Facetime is the only way to do video. If the iPhone block is over the network(sounds like it since people been using it over wifi), a vpn will take care of that. I doubt apple would let AT&T disable the ability within the phone, unlike several stock Androids with mobile hotspots(bypassable via external tethering app+Openvpn(for those nasty DPI spies at your telco) or custom ROM+Openvpn). Failing that, there are a million alternatives, even on iphone. Only iSheep can not see that. Not saying what AT&T is doing is right. Just saying easy to thwart and not the end of the world, yet.
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

get off your high horse i-wolf (as u seem to think all iphone fans are isheeple), have u owned iphone yourself? on att network? Att doesn't block anything over the air, they simply push OTA upgrade that either enables/disables functionality on your phone depending on which plan you subscribe too.

For tethering, etc jailbreak is a good remedy but its not available yet for iphone 5.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Only iPhone fans that think Apple invented everything are iSheepie, not all iPhone fans. Does jailbreaking automatically enable tethering or do you have to do 1 of the 2 things that can be done about AT&T disabling it on Android, which is root(sorta like jailbreaking, but more akin to root under nix, which Android is based upon but does not need hacks to access on a nix PC) then install an app that invokes masquerade, iptables, and dhcpd to provide a virtulal nat and bypasses the blocked native feature altogether? Or does it actually unblock the native feature? Just curious. Since there are no custom roms like Android(unmolested by AT&T though I tend to slowly mod a rooted stock to avoid unforseen issues these days). I am rather surprised Apple would give anyone(even AT&T) direct control over any of their OS features. Android, not so surprising as Google left it up for others to modify, including manufacturers, modders, and carriers(a double edged sword that gave us some beautiful ROMS, but many ridiculously locked down phones by default, some with horrible API implementations). As a power user, I am unimpressed with the iPhone. But, it is a good consumer device that I have bought for a couple family members and sold mine to a friend. Those that want some conveniences of a smartphone, but does not want to tear at its guts and push it to its limits. The iPhone is more friendly for them die to the lack of Android's fragmentation issue touched upon above.
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

TetherMe app on Cydia unlocks tethering functionality on all carriers and it also lets you change APN settings. But other apps like PDANet mywii only just turns your wi-fi into broadcast AP.

phones are not only devices where manufacturers give control over them to service providers that use them, for example cable providers can lock/unlock dvr in your set up box, cable/dsl modems get pushed config files that set max speed parameters, siriusXM radios will have some channels unavailable if you switch to a cheaper plan, etc