All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to Morac

to Morac

Re: They are only allowing FaceTime on the iPhone 5.

I wonder who uses facetime? Who is most common user? couples? My friend has iphone but we rarely even talk on the phone, most of the time we exchange text messages. And when this happens where I can't text (like on road) then I use Siri. Its still too dangerous hassle to use when driving and only use it when I am on complete stop (like at stoplight), otherwise I call back hands free or don't respond at all.

I have never used video chat except a few years ago with my sister on MSN messenger. We used it so my parents could see grandchildren. But now that we live close to each other we no longer need it.

I noticed now more companies are willing to make job interviews over conference calls. I haven't yet come across that does video over Skype but I heard a few already do that.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

I think people like grandparent's and people who travel overseas and the like.

Two examples:

1. My Mom bought an iPhone so she could FaceTime with my brother and his wife to see her recently born grandchild.

2. She FaceTimed me from her vacation in Europe since it didn't cost here anything (hotel had Wifi).

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day

ff1324 to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99
said by chgo_man99:

I wonder who uses facetime? Who is most common user? couples?

Anyone who travels or spends the night away from home that has kids.
sam64
join:2006-07-31
Newtown, PA

sam64 to Morac

to Morac
Who needs FaceTime.....I will continue to use Skype for all my video chats. It works well over WiFi and 3G and I do not have to think about the person on the other side having an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Regarding who uses video calling/chat -- people who travel overseas and want to be more than just a voice over the phone with their significant other/kids, parents, grandparents, tutors,...
I am sure there are others.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by sam64:

Who needs FaceTime.....I will continue to use Skype for all my video chats. It works well over WiFi and 3G and I do not have to think about the person on the other side having an iPhone/iPod Touch.

The problem with Skype is it needs to be manually installed and setup (need an account, etc). FaceTime comes pre-installed on every iOS device as such if I want to contact someone who has an iPhone, iPad, etc, I don't need to call them up first and explain to them how to install Skype and set it up. FaceTime just works.

Not to mention that Skype on the iPhone,et al, drains the battery a lot more than FaceTime does since FaceTime uses Apple's push notifications to set up "calls", while Skype uses Apple's VOIP background service so it needs to be "running" to take calls. In other words Skype drains the battery even when you aren't using it. FaceTime does not.