Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to mike82346

Re: [Voip.ms] is voip.ms clueless about porting cell numbers?

I don't mean to pile on, Mike ... but you are overreacting a tad and not entirely correct in your understanding of the process. I have ported probably 20 or so numbers over the last several years ... from PSTN to Cellular, Cellular to PSTN, Cellular to VoIP, VoIP to Cellular, and PSTN to VoIP ... but was never successful in porting any numbers to PSTN.

For most providers, not just Voip.ms, I was required to submit a non-electronic signed LOA (Letter of Authorization) for the port ... because the CLECs that actually lease/control the DIDs mandated this. In many cases, not just for Voip.ms, I also had to supply the last four digits of my SSN ... because PINs are not always used with some providers. I was always asked for a copy of the bill (or an online printout of the account information) to confirm the legitimacy of my right to port the DID.

Please don't holler at me ... but the porting system has been in effect for several years. The new (winning) VoIP provider must ask its CLEC (the company that has a presence in the Rate Center for your existing DID) to contact the losing VoIP provider's CLEC (or whatever entity currently controls your DID). The losing CLEC demands documentation, almost always calling for a non-electronic signature on the LOA, to avoid "slamming" (stealing of DIDs by nefarious individuals).

Generally, VoIP providers themselves only initiate your request for the port ... and at that point they are no longer involved. In fact, very often the losing VoIP provider is not aware of the port ... and may continue to list the DID in their in-house routing tables ... which results in failure of calls to the DID from people who are using the losing provider's service ... because calls are being routed internally.

In my experience with an occasional failed port, my monies were always returned.