uniqs

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.260

»www.asus.com/Networks/Wi ··· /RTN56U/

2012.11.08 update

1. After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.260 and restarting your router, please press the reset button for more than 5 seconds to reset the system to the default settings.

2. The original download master is not compatible with new firmware. Please uninstall the download master utility in computer and remove the "Complete", "InComplete" folder in the hard drive plugged in RT-N56U usb port.

3. Upgrade to the latest ASUSWRT user interface

4. Enhanced QoS feature

5. Web based download master

6. PPTP VPN server

7. Flexible on-line time control for different client

sbconslt

sbconslt

I've updated successfully. It's the newer, grey-colored UI theme that was already available on the RT-N16. The TX Power control seems to have been removed.

Bogart
@cox.net

Bogart to sbconslt

Anon

to sbconslt
I was skeptical at first because everything had to be reset but I jumped the gun and did it anyways. Its good to at least revisit my router's configuration.
They fixed the "Time of Day to Enable Radio" bug. Also its easier now to assign manual IP assignment. All in all, decent improvement but still day and night difference between dd-wrt.

IanG
@comcast.net

IanG

Anon

I downloaded and installed the new firmware, deleted the current master files, but cannot find where to download the new master from - can you help direct me? Thanks
Ian

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

I believe click "USB Application" in the left nav and scroll down to find the "Install" link.

Iang
@Stanford.EDU

Iang

Anon

Thanks - of course I deleted the RT-N56U software from my computer, following their instructions, and now cannot access the router, even though my internet is working :-(

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

With defaults, it's accessed at »192.168.1.1/

IanG
@comcast.net

IanG

Anon

Thanks - it was trying to do 192.168.1.1 - accessed now....
IanG

IanG

Anon

oops, sorry - I meant was trying to do 192.168.2.1 ... all is well now, thanks!

Bobbbo
@comcast.net

Bobbbo

Anon

Are people having any problems with wifi and this fw version?

I was having disconnects every 10 mins after upgrading, turns out the 'auto' channel was switching constantly.

I've set that to channel 1, and things are a lot more smooth now, but the router still goes unresponsive every 20 mins or so for about 10 seconds. Nothing in the logs...

Rich
@sccoast.net

Rich

Anon

I too am having problems. It seems to be with the wireless transmission.

kayakj
@150.148.218.x

kayakj to Bobbbo

Anon

to Bobbbo
I have been having issues too, and ended up switching to another custom firmware that works a lot better. I highly suggest trying it out. »code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/ ( if the link doesn't work for some reason just do a google search for Asus rtn56u firmware and then it should be hosted under google)

civilion
@chello.nl

civilion to Bobbbo

Anon

to Bobbbo
i two had some problems. actually no 2.4Ghz devices could find my network. it did once , but very briefly(did not manage to connect though). i did however fix this by going to the wireless settings and turn the radiobox "enable radio" to "on" in the professional tab(turning this on wil give you options to manage when your radio is turned on with time and date setting, i left these to the standard values because those are set to leave it on 7 days a weak from 12-12). i think the problem just might be that the 2.4GHz radio is turned off by default ??????????? weard

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to sbconslt

Premium Member

to sbconslt
These issues sort of spook me with this new firmware so I have not upgraded yet. I really want this firmware for the VPN server capability.

If I download a copy of my routers config. before the update, can I apply it after the new firmware version in place or will it not work?

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

I'm not having any problems since upgrading.

You can export / import your config using a facility in the firmware if you want, yes. However, particularly if you're paranoid about problems, it's always a surer approach to factory reset settings and reestablish your configuration manually. That way you avoid the possibility (regardless of whether you consider it likely or unlikely) of introducing some issue via the config import. I always factory reset and reconfigure by hand after flashing.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Googling shows a fair amount of WiFi related issues with this firmware. I guess the only thing to do is jump into it and see what happens.

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

You can always roll back.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Just tried this new firmware and it had huge wireless issues for me. Didnt seem to affect my Windows 7 laptop but my XP desktop was lucky to maintain a connection for more than 10 seconds...actually it appeared the connection was active, just no traffic was passed. Tried the custom firmware noted above and it also had the same problems. Went back to the previous stick version and all is well. Really weird.

guy
@wind.ca

guy

Anon

hey, try using a different encryption method for your router. I noticed my xp laptop couldnt maintain a connection with wpa2, when i switched it to just wpa, there were no problems (using n56u)

Rarsa
@rogers.com

Rarsa

Anon

I found that the upgrade set the default to WPA2/AES

It seems that the RT2500 wireless card drivers under Windows 7 didn't like WPA2/AES.

On the same computer I had Linux and it didn't have a problem connecting. Other devices on my network didn't have issues either.

So, I had to change the authentication/Encryption to WPA/TKIP and the windows computer and all other devices connect properly.

Thanks guy