spc
Search similar:

uniqs

guyw
@embarqhsd.net

guyw

Anon

CenturyLink DSL speeds dropped in the last week

I've had Centruy Link DSL for the passed year roughly and it's been great but in the last week the speeds have dropped significantly.

When I do a speed test at the centurylink website I will regularly get speeds that range from .95 to 2.0Mbps when I used to get between 8.0 and 9.0Mbps. The problelm seems to be somewhat intermittent, during the day for example it's usually faster, around 4.0 to 6.0Mbps and then after 5pm it drops to the slow speeds.

I had a technician out and he said he changed some wires outside or something, but he was here during the day and was seeing 6.0Mbps speeds when he tested and claimed that was as good as it was going to get and left.

Now I just did a speed test and it's .93Mbps... What casn I do?
guyw

guyw

Anon

I forgot to mention this was in SW Florida, North Naples area.

ICit2
@centurytel.net

ICit2

Anon

I have notices a similar pattern here in rural Southern Oregon.

My effective transfer rate has varied from a low of 0.35Mbps to 2.1Mbps over the course of the evening. I've been resetting equipment and re-testing all night, and have even disconnected the phone line as I am using 3.0Mbps ADSL (G.dmt), when I started looking for some explanation for the dismal rate.

I watched the rate increase fairly steadily all evening so now it seems that the "jam-up" occurred during times when I suppose that home utilization is high. Perhaps my ISP has a bottleneck at the backbone connection? I am going to watch for the next few days to see if the pattern holds.

Remember though that there are physical changes in the physical media (twisted pair wire) which could have affected the DSL loop, but my equipment consistently connected at 2816 / 288 Kbps every time I reset, so I believe the DSL link is pretty stable and not a factor.

So what do I do other than spend my time collecting more evidence of the problem? Is there any software which would automate the task of periodically checking network bandwidth, and make a chart?

HTRCF
@embarqhsd.net

HTRCF

Anon

Century link (Central Florida) DSL for the past week running at 10% of subscribed speed. The 6 Mbps service, at best is .6 Mbps and only when it connect because of long latency. Seems like the same old, same old, same old Embarque slam dunk. What a shame !

guyw
@embarqhsd.net

guyw

Anon

I'm going to post a series of speed test screen shots. Here's a test taken today, Nov 9th at 10:02am.

»i49.tinypic.com/11kwaix.jpg

8057kbps down
860kbps up
31ms latency

These are the typical numbers I used to always get. Now I get these numbers during the daytime generally. This evening I will post another.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

What speed tier are you on?

qwestuser
@qwest.net

qwestuser to guyw

Anon

to guyw
I've had qwest now cent... for almost 10 years and never had such bad service as the last 1-2wks. Constant drops and reconnects and my 7megabit is constantly getting closer to zero. Use to get 90-95% which is superb of my 7megabit, right now I'm at 2.5megabit and sure it will keep going down. I have someone coming out so hope it will help, but not holding my breath! If it keeps up I don't know what to do. I think there is maybe one other carrier in my small town, guess I will go there.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to guyw

to guyw
Hello,

Our team would like to help resolve the service issues you are experiencing. Please send account & contact info via the link here
»t.co/lm5JYoPO or email talktous@centurylink.com please include the screen name from this post so we may identify you properly.

Regards,
Patti
CenturyLink Help

qwestuser
@qwest.net

qwestuser to qwestuser

Anon

to qwestuser
So, someone came out today and I am back at 7megabit, hope it stays that way! Wish you luck with your problem!

rstrickland
join:2001-06-22
Clinton, NC

rstrickland to ICit2

to ICit2
I had a problem almost like yours and it took six calls to correct. After they switched the pair my speed dropped from the 2945/600 sync rate the modem was at. Finally I called so much that a supervisor called the plant operations manager for my area, and they sent out their lead DSL tech. Before the tech came out tech support noticed that DSLExpress had turned down my speed automatically to make the line more stable, so they raised my speed profile back up... you have to beg to get this done because engineering does not like to in a fear that your DSL connection will drop every 5-10 min. Back to the tech that came out... he (lead DSl tech) found that the first tech overlooked a bridge-tap that was on the line, and he also found a second bridge-tap even though engineering said there was only one bridge-tap on our pair. My issue was resolved with numerous calls, engineering raising my speed profile in the DSLAM and turning DSLExpress off of my line, and the lead DSL tech, checking every stat of my pair and tracing the line all the way back to the CO removing any bridge-taps that were on it. My line will now sync at 3520/736 and my downloads/uploads are always between 3.05/640 or 3.10/650.
usshelena6
join:2010-07-03
Layton, UT

usshelena6 to guyw

to guyw
My 12Mbps service has dropped so low on the speed tests, I cannot stream anything above SD. I used to be able to stream at HD or HDX. Of late, I have have buffering issues and latency issues despite having a dual band router pushing 600Mbps on two channels, 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz.

Why has my DSL dropped so low that I cannot get anything above SD at any time of the day.

Last speed test at dslreports.com/stest was 4Mbps down and I am paying for 12Mbps down. That was to a Denver, CO, server.

Next test using Megapath in San Francisco, CA, did not even register.

Third test using Comcast server in Washington DC was under 3Mbps.

Either find the solution and get my speeds back up to what I am paying for or I will find another provider like COMCAST.

usshelena
@qwest.net

usshelena to guyw

Anon

to guyw
My 12Mbps service has dropped so low on the speed tests, I cannot stream anything above SD. I used to be able to stream at HD or HDX. Of late, I have have buffering issues and latency issues despite having a dual band router pushing 600Mbps on two channels, 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz.

Why has my DSL dropped so low that I cannot get anything above SD at any time of the day.

Last speed test at dslreports.com/stest was 4Mbps down and I am paying for 12Mbps down. That was to a Denver, CO, server.

Next test using Megapath in San Francisco, CA, did not even register.

Third test using Comcast server in Washington DC was under 3Mbps.

Either find the solution and get my speeds back up to what I am paying for or I will find another provider like COMCAST.

esteban96
join:2012-11-14
Layton, UT

esteban96 to guyw

to guyw
I would like to put some input in, I have noticed since around 2nd week of november to today speeds are down severely. I finally spoke to Luke yesterday at Centurylink, Boise, ID who suggested to try different radio settings. I found it odd but tried it anyway even though it's been working for just over 1 year with no issues. Sure enough it was a waste of time as today the issues are at it again. I am waiting on a new router which should be here in two days. We will see, also I've been disconnecting the router and getting varied results. Seems like this is a delivery problem possibly... network instability.
usshelena6
join:2010-07-03
Layton, UT

usshelena6 to guyw

to guyw
So I called tech support for Century Link and got a tech who could not answer my questions and could only read the script he had in front of him or on the computer. I told him I am using a Belkin 600 Dual Band Router pushing 600Mbps on two channels of 2.5Ghz and 5.0Ghz. The router is connected to a netgear dsl modem which picks up the signal from CenturyLink. I use a Nexus 7 and two Galaxy phones via the wifi and like to stream from Vudu by way of a Netgear wi fi extender which has a CAT5e cable to my dvd player.

The first month of so, I was able to stream HDx from VuDu and my tablet and phones rocked. But just in the last week or so, tablet and phones have been dragging and my VuDu streaming is barely SD quality with buffering errors and network errors. So I decided to track my DSL signal. I pay for 12Mbps and know I will only get about 10Mbps and that is what I get when I ping a server in the state of Utah. But any server outside of Utah on Comcast, Megapath or the like is pinging around 3-4Mbps. When I explained this to the tech at Centurylink, he said, "Well, if you surf outside your home state, your speeds will always drop." I was dumbfounded and had no idea what to say except to try and explain to him that the Internet is global, hence the WWW acronym. He said Centurylink was pinging 10.4Mbps on their local server in my area and it must be my equipment.

So unless my speeds increase, I am heading to Comcast and will glady pay the money to have them connect it, lease a cable modem from them and anything else.

esteban96
join:2012-11-14
Layton, UT

3 edits

esteban96 to guyw

to guyw
I'm in Utah who else in Utah is having this problem? I'm talking to tech support now.

lostu6
@qwest.net

lostu6

Anon

I am in Park City, Utah experiencing very slow speeds.