spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rhinobit
@bellsouth.net

rhinobit

Anon

[Speed Problem] Anybody ever seen this? Each connection limited

My ~2.8 Mbps DSL connection is suddenly limiting each connection to about 25 KBps. For instance, if I start up 1 single download, it's speed will be around 25 KBps. If I start another download it's speed will also be about 25 KBps. If I use a downloading software that makes multiple connections per download, say 4 connections, the speed of that download will be around 100 KBps.

It just started doing this. It hasn't lost sync or reconnected in any way between the time it was fine and started doing this.

Would ATT be throttling it?
rhinobit

rhinobit

Anon

Re: [Speed Problem] Anybody ever seen this? Each connection limi

It looked like it was allowing about 50 KBps per connection for a short while, and now it's allowing up to around 100 KBps per connection. It still hasn't lost sync, reconnected, or anything of that nature.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to rhinobit

MVM

to rhinobit
The last time I had a download issue which looked like AT&T throttling, it wasn't. My download app lost its configuration after an upgrade. I am not aware that AT&T throttles downloads; I never had a problem that I couldn't fix locally. And the forums a strangely quiet, considering how many users would be adversely affected by such a policy.

dandeman
MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC

1 edit

dandeman to rhinobit

MVM

to rhinobit
I've gone through periods of time (like most people) where throughput is significantly down, and involving pretty much the same AT&T router with excessive packet loss.

If you had software that could analyze your performance over an extended period of time, showing the IP path taken and the respective packet loss of the routers in that path , you might see upstream AT&T routers with heavy packet loss, during the periods you are experiencing bad performance...

assuming of course that your last mile connection is solid...and your configuration is correct..

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by dandeman:

If you had software that could analyze your performance over an extended period of time, showing the IP path taken and the respective packet loss of the routers in that path , you might see upstream AT&T routers with heavy packet loss, during the periods you are experiencing bad performance...

Did this upstream packet hold to the destination?

Of course, I spent the better part of my ten years on SBC routing, which, unlike Bellsouth, did not traverse the AT&T tier 1 backbone. I don't recall seeing such issues with Level 3.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to rhinobit

Premium Member

to rhinobit
A poorly in sync dsl line can throttle as well as the cells between the modem and the DSLAM might be lost in transit. So essentially if the cell is lost it has to be retransmitted. Good place to start would be to check your DSL stats in the modem and make sure they are good. If they are not, I would start checking into that problem first. a poorly in sync DSL line can throttle because it is struggling to maintain a good sync rate in which will determine your throughput rate.
upb
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Carriere, MS

upb to rhinobit

Premium Member

to rhinobit
said by rhinobit :

Would ATT be throttling it?

You may be encountering the same problem that has been vexing me for about a week. It appears that some of the new equipment AT&T Southeast is installing suffers from so-called "buffer bloat" — a condition that can lead degraded performance. You can test for that problem (and many others) by connecting to »netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ and following the on screen directions. After several minutes have elapsed, you'll be shown a plain English, comprehensive report on the status of your connection. Any problem areas will be highlighted. In my case, the report indicated that buffer bloat was a problem.

Good luck.