join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

graniterock to Cloneman

Premium Member

to Cloneman

Re: Teksavvy forbids running servers

said by Cloneman:

no one ever gets kicked off their ISP for running servers... anywhere...

especially because many normal desktop apps run in server mode.

is there are reason for this pedantic thread?

The first rule of running a home server is that no one talks about the home server. Questions can only give the rules more teeth. ;-p

More seriously perhaps the wording can be changed a bit to differentiate between personal use and "harmful" use.

waiting
@opera-mini.net

waiting to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Legal answer: "Some incumbent AUPs prevent the use of servers. You asked me which ones and I still have to check."

I'll follow up once I find the references in the tariffs...

this goes back a bit
Bell filed during both the throttle hearings and speed match that tsi's customers are subject to bells ToS.

so this is where this comes from.

There has been topics or disussions of this in the Cdn broadband forum

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
I have had my server running for years now without a problem...
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

2 edits

mlord to TSILiz

to TSILiz
said by TSILiz:

The title of this thread is misleading.

No, the AUP is very clear about it, and it says the title of this thread is 100% accurate. It has only been that way since 2011, though. Prior to that there was no such clause, and the lack of the clause is what has driven a lot of us to sign up with Teksavvy: The "home server friendly ISP".

If that will no longer be the case, I'll be moving along thanks.
I'm not hosting "p0rn" or anything unusual. Just running a very low bandwidth personal web server, personal email, and a spattering of other things including ssh and inbound vpn for when I'm away from the house.

Those are all very clearly "servers", and very clearly forbidden in the new AUP (2011).

Cheers

waiting
@videotron.ca

waiting to waiting

Anon

to waiting
Forgot to add;

the Bell ToS (or AUP) that all TSI customers are bound by is on the CRTC's website. I do believe I copy/pasted it some place in the Cdn broadband forum back when it happened.

TSI is going by the book, which is cool. Many other ISP's out there are not and pretend this never happened. So every Bell reseller has this same ToS. Whether they show it or not. TSI is just more upfront on this part.

Back then we suggested that they include in their ToS that this is forced on them by Bell. But they didn't.

Anyhow, now you know the history of this.
waiting

waiting to rodjames

Anon

to rodjames
said by rodjames:

I have had my server running for years now without a problem...

Well yeah. Bell would have to punish all their customers before anyone else's or it would break the CRTC rule on discrimination.

In addition to this, if Bell started making files on people in relation to "captured" protocols and so forth and putting this under people names, I'm sure there would be a privacy issue that would come out of it.
waiting

waiting to waiting

Anon

to waiting
Here is the last know link to the CRTC filed ToS. For some reason the CRTC removed the original link from their site... maybe to pretend it never existed while they approved it.

»/r0 ··· /aup.pdf

So the server thing applies to bell resold DSL. As far as I can recall, Videotron, Rogers et al did not impose this (that I can recall). So if this is correct, TSI should state that ToS is for DSL only (at the time they didn't resell cable that I can recall).

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TSI Marc:

No intention of doing anything like that.... This has been there for a long time.. Nothing new here.

The road to hell is paved with the best intentions.

If you have no intent to use it then simply remove it.

If you don't then it clearly communicates that you do have intentions to use it.

I knew what Rocky's intent was and he committed to remove it. What/who stopped him?

What's your intent, Marc? Just askin' "for the record".

Surely a clause like "We reserve the right to terminate service to any customer who by any means causes data traffic sufficient to disrupt our network to occur" would be a strong enough catch-all condition to indirectly cover (ab)use of servers.

= = = = = = = = = =

BTW, Marc, I'm available if your legal department needs a fresh face and PoV.

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
said by mlord:

said by TSILiz:

The title of this thread is misleading.

No, the AUP is very clear about it, and it says the title of this thread is 100% accurate. It has only been that way since 2011, though. Prior to that there was no such clause, and the lack of the clause is what has driven a lot of us to sign up with Teksavvy: The "home server friendly ISP".

If that will no longer be the case, I'll be moving along thanks.
I'm not hosting "p0rn" or anything unusual. Just running a very low bandwidth personal web server, personal email, and a spattering of other things including ssh and inbound vpn for when I'm away from the house.

Those are all very clearly "servers", and very clearly forbidden in the new AUP (2011).

Cheers

There's a problem with that, if the incumbent ISPs have gotten this approved in the tariffs (which multiple people, including TekSavvy legal via Marc have confirmed) then there's no ISP for you to switch to. I don't think you can do much better than multiple TSI staff saying they have intention of enforcing it. Any other independent who doesn't put it in their AUP hasn't changed the fact you're using a tariffed service where servers are prohibited.
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

If the ISP expressly forbids it (teksavvy), they can terminate service at any time without notice, and therefore without leaving time for the subscriber to seek alternatives. So suddenly no internet at all, requiring about 10 days to get reconnected elsewhere.

If they don't expressly forbid it (start.ca), or do explicitly allow it (ncf.ca), then one can reasonably expect advance notice from them if they decide they no longer want to allow it. Giving time to move services elsewhere, or to simply comply with the change in AUP by stopping the servers. Without losing internet connectivity completely.

That's an important difference.
Important enough to factor into ISP selection.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Not trying to stoke the fire.. but, if this were to ever happen... odds are that it would be coming from the incumbent. in that case, they would have the right to just cut off also.. in either case.

I don't think it's us that's really the issue...

Once I know more, I'll post. I think it's pretty straight forward what I personally think... having to live within the confines of the box that's been defined for us is just an entirely different thing.
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean to Cloneman

to Cloneman
"no one ever gets kicked off their ISP for running servers... anywhere..."

Ah! So you think! Back in the early days of cable internet (Rogers @home service), I got my service suspended when they found out I was running an email server at home. I don't think even Rogers suspends accounts for running servers anymore though.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
Running a server? Huh? Wha?

I have no recollection of the events to which you are referring.

Mike
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to TSILiz

MVM

to TSILiz
said by TSILiz:

Our customers can and do run personal use servers.

Elizabeth is exactly right: I've been running a web server since 2005. I used to run an email server as well but I finally switched to using Google Applications.

Cheers,
-pablo

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

It seems things have changed drastically from '05 when if memory serves in '05 the TOU allowed servers. It's sad the incumbent can now dictate what TS customers can and cannot do on their network.
That being said, even with the TOU change, who here really thinks that TS is going to start punting people off the network?
pablo
MVM

pablo

MVM

Hi,

As I said, I'm still running the web server ... seven years later.
Nemo888
join:2005-12-25
Canada

Nemo888 to mlord

to mlord
It's rather all encompassing and draconian.

A server is a physical computer dedicated to serve the needs of other computers on the network.

Hell I do that every time I fire up a Bit Torrent client. I run a server 24/7 sometimes to get my ratio back up. It's a very convenient rule to ban file sharers.

I miss Rocky.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to mlord

to mlord
I run 2 servers at home (testing purposes), 1 of them is linux and the other is windows.

Runs perfectly fine, except port 25 for outgoing mail is blocked, but that's fine. There is no way for Rogers/TSI to block these servers.As long as I don't exceed my monthly bandwidth, "servers" only refer to a specific kind of hardware (that ultimately serves a particular purpose) so unless Marc is at my house....He has no way to tell what is running off a server and what is running off a laptop.

We have nothing to worry about, even if it is an official policy.

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to mlord

to mlord
In a context where TSI is paying $20 000 per Gbps to Bhell & sons I think it's only fair that they have such terms.
pablo
MVM

pablo to d4m1r

MVM

to d4m1r
Howdy,

I'm going to guess port 25 is blocked because you don't have a static IP. I have a static IP and all ports are wide open.

Cheers,
-pablo

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

So, yeah. I Double checked quickly and that provision has to stay there as is.
pablo
MVM

pablo

MVM

said by TSI Marc:

Of course, it's sensible. That's how you hold people accountable. Sure, you might be able to goof around with chasing the DHCPD's log but it's far easier to make it mandatory that all ports are open /only/ if you have a static IP.

I need my static IP because some clients prefer it when remotely accessing their servers.

Cheers,
-pablo

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

And why is that? Mandate by Rogers? Was it a recent addition to the AUP or has it been there for a while?
d4m1r

d4m1r to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Sorry for double post but I would think start.ca would also have to have it in their AUP then but they don't
Aens
join:2012-11-09

Aens to pablo

to pablo
It wouldn't matter if it were rogers or anybody else. It makes good business sense to have it in a AUP/TOS agreement. Think about this from the other point of view. If someone were abusing their service in a way that impacted other customers, you need legal cover in order to deal with the problem.

It is like saying, why have a law about no bicycles on sidewalks and yet no cop does anything about it? It's there so that if/when some moron plows into a bunch of small kids, there is a framework in place to prosecute. Saying they can terminate service for certain activities doesn't mean they will do it on every occasion.

Or another example. Say you are renting your basement out and the tenant doesn't believe in using toilets. If you don't have a clause in your agreement about the tenant having to act like a human being, then you would be stuck. The tenant can come back at you in small claims for unilaterally terminating the contract or some other bs.

Bottom line is, it is there to protect teksavvy from abusive customers, but it's existence does not correlate to enforcement. As we've clearly seen from testimonials in this thread, they don't care unless it becomes a problem!

ArthurWinslo
@rogers.com

ArthurWinslo to mlord

Anon

to mlord
Port 25 is only blocked by ip filters. If any of you have a diagnostic based modem you can turn off those filters and go about your business.
Expand your moderator at work
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: Teksavvy forbids running servers

said by TSI Marc:

Very unfortunate, that point of view.
You guys have already taken some massive hits in goodwill.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

It's not a point of view mlord, it's a fact of life.

It's pretty simple ... no AUP clause forbidding servers, incumbent can terminate TPIA services for ALL that TPIA's customers ... not just the infringer.

The reality is that as long as nobody pushes the envelope by saying running a full blown NNTP server on their connection, nobody's gonna raise a ruckus at Rogers or the TPIA. If they did, chances are Rogers will ask the TPIA to deal with it ... who will enforce the term in the agreement.

It's been several years now since Rogers has been seen to actually enforce many of the clauses in their AUP, including the Notice and Notice of copyright infringement.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to mlord

to mlord
said by mlord:

If the ISP expressly forbids it (teksavvy), they can terminate service at any time without notice, and therefore without leaving time for the subscriber to seek alternatives. So suddenly no internet at all, requiring about 10 days to get reconnected elsewhere.

Any ISP can do that anyway with or without said allowance.