Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

You Don't Have To Pay Rogers Your Last 1 Month Bill

(This is from another forum in another website)

With the many recent posts about the smaller guys (Wind Mobile / Mobilicity), I'm sure many of you are porting numbers.
I recently got charged with 30 days of billing because Rogers claims you need to give them 30 days cancellation notice.

So you are paying Rogers/Fido (probably Bell/Telus too) 1 month of services you are NOT receiving (since another company is providing them now).

This is ILLEGAL.

File a complaint with the CCTS
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/guide

And you will get your money back. It's all done online and very painless. For 2 lines I got back about ~$100. Not bad for a few minutes of filling out a form.

Take your money back from those Robbers!

EDIT:
I should clarify. You fill out form all online.
CCTS emails saying it received complaint and will forward to Rogers to give them a chance to remedy the complaint.
About a month later Rogers called about the complaint.
He knows about your entire history (knows when you called last, etc).

Keep firm. State it's unfair to charge for services that was impossible for me to use (since number already ported), and if we agree to disagree I'll just bring issue back to CCTS.

They caved and gave the credit. Money is returned via cheque in 4-6 weeks.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

I'm not sure how it's illegal from what you wrote. Rogers has a 30 day cancellation clause. You want to port your number? Ensure that the port day is 30 days from when you call.

I suspect this was a move of "goodwill" not legality.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Don't they do the same thing that Bell does though; If you give them notice, they'll return it to their pool of numbers, and you're SOL for porting that number out?
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

I'm not sure how it's illegal from what you wrote. Rogers has a 30 day cancellation clause. You want to port your number? Ensure that the port day is 30 days from when you call.

The problem is that when you port out you can't give 30 days notice to Rogers. When you port out your Rogers account just gets cancelled right away and you just get charged for 30 days of service you can't use. When you cancel your Rogers account without porting you can actually use your Rogers wireless services for those 30 days.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Don't they do the same thing that Bell does though; If you give them notice, they'll return it to their pool of numbers, and you're SOL for porting that number out?

Not immediately. But if you do give them 30 days notice to cancel without porting your account would be marked when that happen any port requests would be denied. Your number isn't put back in the pool as it is still yours for 30 days after which it goes to aging before being released back into the wild.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Can you post the law that says it is illegal for you to pay what you agreed to pay by using the service?

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
reply to sbrook

So why should the customer pay for non-service when Rogers is the one who chooses the FOC date? Also, if Rogers really wants to continue providing service for 30 days then it can supply a temporary number for the remainder of the contract.

read it

@videotron.ca
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

Read it in this years CCTS report.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Xstar_Lumini

OK, since they actually terminate service as soon as they get the port request then yeah, Rogers are actually terminating service, not you, and therefore 30 day cancellation cannot apply. It may or may not be "illegal" (have to pore through CRTC regs for that), but it certainly violates the contract and that's a civil matter.

rogellio

@rogers.com

im not sure what the problem is, but i gave 30 day notice to PORT my number, theyre system support this, why are people NOT doing this is beyond my mind? but i never get charge extra month,

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Xstar_Lumini

If I am with Rogers on a month to month, why do I need to give them 30 days notice to cancel?

When I signed up with them, did I have to wait 30 days to get service? No! So why does it take them so bloody long to cancel you? Its because they want to try to pillage you for one more month of service.

lonon

@rogers.com

said by Poser:

If I am with Rogers on a month to month, why do I need to give them 30 days notice to cancel?

When I signed up with them, did I have to wait 30 days to get service? No! So why does it take them so bloody long to cancel you? Its because they want to try to pillage you for one more month of service.

I'm with you. Economic theory states utilities are supposed to be regulated because they are de facto monopolies. 30-day cancellation clauses should be illegal.

Just because there's a 30-day cancellation clause doesn't mean it's ok or even valid. Contracts are not set in stone and judges can rule parts of a contract invalid.

Does this apply to cable and internet?

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to rogersmogers

said by rogersmogers :

Can you post the law that says it is illegal for you to pay what you agreed to pay by using the service?

Agreed? Me? Who the hell told you that I agreed to be ripped off for a month of non-service when I'm already with another provider (Wind)?

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to lonon

If I am month to month, I'm not on a contract. Its a "company policy" that they blindly enforce. When I cancelled my cell phone service after being with them for 6 years, I asked the CSR why I would continue to pay for service 30 days after I port out. He said, thats the policy and I said it doesn't make sense because I am month to month and if I port out I am no longer receiving the service you are charging me for. I even told them that I would file with CCTS to get my money back. I should receive a cheque from Rogers this week.

I can confirm this also applies to internet. I called to cancel and they said 30 days, and your cancellation date is December 5th. Its bullshit.

I received numerous calls from Rogers this past week, no doubt its some drone trying to get me to rethink my decision. Thats what the 30 days is for, time for them to win you back and 1 last chance for them to take a shot at your wallet.

lonon

@rogers.com

What I meant was if the refund and complaint process applies to cable or Internet. I'm well aware that those services are charged for 30 extra days. I have personal experience with that.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

They aren't charged for 30 extra days. You aren't billed extra if you call to cancel on the 1st of November for termination on the 30th of November.

If you call on the 15th of November for termination on the 30th, then you are billed for 30 days and you aren't using 15 of them.

If you call on the 30th of November for termination that day, then you are billed for 30 days and you aren't using any of them.

As long as you give them 30 days notice or more, you are not out of pocket at all ... there's not extra days billed. If you don't give them 30 days then it's your own problem. Most people know they're moving 30 days before they go!

I don't agree with the requirement ... it is an attempt to suck in money for nothing, but it's easy enough to avoid.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Poser

said by Poser:

If I am month to month, I'm not on a contract.

Yes, you are. It's still a contract, no matter if it's called a "service agreement", "user agreement" or anything else. It will have different terms and conditions than a fixed term (ie: 3 year) contract, but it's still a contract.