Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to catbrat909

Premium Member

to catbrat909

Re: Windows 8 Mail Issue Road Runner

Mozilla Thunderbird works with POP accounts in Windows 8, no problem. Of course, official development on it has ceased, but it's still my email client of choice. Thunderbird 16 is perfectly compatible with Windows 8; of course it runs in the Classic Desktop environment but that's where you'll probably be spending most of your time on a desktop PC anyway, unless you're new to this whole computer thing.

The built-in "Metro Mail" in Windows 8 works in a pinch but is really half-baked. You can't even right-click on a link in an email to copy the shortcut and paste it into your brower of choice (it always opens in Metro IE) nor can you see where a link is going to go before you click it. The interface is also maddening to use with a mouse and keyboard -- though on a Surface it feels fine. (Are you noticing a trend here?)
catbrat909
join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

It sounds like Mozilla Thunderbird is the best choice for now. Until either Time Warner Cable gets an IMAP server or Microsoft releases an update to put POP back in the email program. Thanks for the response's.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to banditws6

to banditws6
Yea but a nice feature Metro Mail adds is EAS, since its tablet-centric OS. I can finally now sync my school's email/contacts/calendar on my personal laptop. Tho they are going to be migrating to Live @ EDU/ Office 365 soon, but their "soon" is as bad as AT&T's or VZ's "soon".

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by OSUGoose:

Yea but a nice feature Metro Mail adds is EAS, since its tablet-centric OS. I can finally now sync my school's email/contacts/calendar on my personal laptop. Tho they are going to be migrating to Live @ EDU/ Office 365 soon, but their "soon" is as bad as AT&T's or VZ's "soon".

Yeah, EAS was a critical feature-add to Metro Mail since on the Surface RT there is no ARM-compatible version of Outlook available. Once I get a Surface I'll surely be using Metro Mail for that reason alone if nothing else.

I will say that Metro Mail got me to see the writing on the wall for POP and switch my email server to IMAP; can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I still use T-Bird but I like having Metro Mail hooked into my account so I can utilize the Windows 8 notification system.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

Yea I was surprised when I could add a EAS, as its been one of my biggest gripes as I could never get any hack to get Outlook to talk to the EAS. I don't think RR will ever move to IMAP, tho it would be a lot more secure and useful for their subs, thus bad for them ,lol.