|reply to guyw |
Re: CenturyLink DSL speeds dropped in the last week
I have notices a similar pattern here in rural Southern Oregon.
My effective transfer rate has varied from a low of 0.35Mbps to 2.1Mbps over the course of the evening. I've been resetting equipment and re-testing all night, and have even disconnected the phone line as I am using 3.0Mbps ADSL (G.dmt), when I started looking for some explanation for the dismal rate.
I watched the rate increase fairly steadily all evening so now it seems that the "jam-up" occurred during times when I suppose that home utilization is high. Perhaps my ISP has a bottleneck at the backbone connection? I am going to watch for the next few days to see if the pattern holds.
Remember though that there are physical changes in the physical media (twisted pair wire) which could have affected the DSL loop, but my equipment consistently connected at 2816 / 288 Kbps every time I reset, so I believe the DSL link is pretty stable and not a factor.
So what do I do other than spend my time collecting more evidence of the problem? Is there any software which would automate the task of periodically checking network bandwidth, and make a chart?
Century link (Central Florida) DSL for the past week running at 10% of subscribed speed. The 6 Mbps service, at best is .6 Mbps and only when it connect because of long latency. Seems like the same old, same old, same old Embarque slam dunk. What a shame !
I'm going to post a series of speed test screen shots. Here's a test taken today, Nov 9th at 10:02am.
These are the typical numbers I used to always get. Now I get these numbers during the daytime generally. This evening I will post another.
Irish SharkPlay Like A Champion TodayPremium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
What speed tier are you on?
|reply to guyw |
Our team would like to help resolve the service issues you are experiencing. Please send account & contact info via the link here
»t.co/lm5JYoPO or email email@example.com please include the screen name from this post so we may identify you properly.
|reply to ICit2 |
I had a problem almost like yours and it took six calls to correct. After they switched the pair my speed dropped from the 2945/600 sync rate the modem was at. Finally I called so much that a supervisor called the plant operations manager for my area, and they sent out their lead DSL tech. Before the tech came out tech support noticed that DSLExpress had turned down my speed automatically to make the line more stable, so they raised my speed profile back up... you have to beg to get this done because engineering does not like to in a fear that your DSL connection will drop every 5-10 min. Back to the tech that came out... he (lead DSl tech) found that the first tech overlooked a bridge-tap that was on the line, and he also found a second bridge-tap even though engineering said there was only one bridge-tap on our pair. My issue was resolved with numerous calls, engineering raising my speed profile in the DSLAM and turning DSLExpress off of my line, and the lead DSL tech, checking every stat of my pair and tracing the line all the way back to the CO removing any bridge-taps that were on it. My line will now sync at 3520/736 and my downloads/uploads are always between 3.05/640 or 3.10/650.