spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Siri and Google Voice

I've tried Siri a handful of times since it became available on the iPad. It's nice, I guess, but nothing that I can't easily live without. I find myself naturally not using it, instinctively doing things manually (launching apps, typing messages, etc.).
I imagine it is far more useful in mobile environments, but I rarely use my iDevices when I'm moving around, so it's not really for me (I use Voice Control when driving to dial, but that's about it).
In any event, I've been reading that Google App's voice capability has been updated/upgraded so that it's now a (somewhat) competitor to Siri.
My questions are...is anyone using the voice aspect of Google App and if so, does it do anything that Siri can't (anything better)? In non-mobile environments is anyone using voice productively, or is it only... a gimmick to show off to friends?
Thanks!

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal

Premium Member

Just try the Google app and see, it's free. It's better than Siri. It's faster than typing. But, it's just a search app.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

yea, agreed...it is just "different"...Siri can do more, but the google search voice is decent too...i do like the Google voice sound better though...she sounds more natural and less "robotic".

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
A comparison review:
»www.tuaw.com/2012/11/01/ ··· per-win/

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
try it, its free.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by mromero:

try it, its free.

Besides, using one doesn't prevent using the other. Both reside on the same device without problems.

I find using Siri on my iPad that it does a poor job of speech recognition, often getting what I am saying wrong. But Google search voice does a much better job and it return results much quicker.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by FFH5:

said by mromero:

try it, its free.

Besides, using one doesn't prevent using the other. Both reside on the same device without problems.

I find using Siri on my iPad that it does a poor job of speech recognition, often getting what I am saying wrong. But Google search voice does a much better job and it return results much quicker.

Agreed. Siri has a terrible time understanding me. I would guess it gets things about 70% right. Google is more like 95% and very fast.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
These voice assistants need alot more to be "mainstream"