Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

Siri and Google Voice

I've tried Siri a handful of times since it became available on the iPad. It's nice, I guess, but nothing that I can't easily live without. I find myself naturally not using it, instinctively doing things manually (launching apps, typing messages, etc.).
I imagine it is far more useful in mobile environments, but I rarely use my iDevices when I'm moving around, so it's not really for me (I use Voice Control when driving to dial, but that's about it).
In any event, I've been reading that Google App's voice capability has been updated/upgraded so that it's now a (somewhat) competitor to Siri.
My questions are...is anyone using the voice aspect of Google App and if so, does it do anything that Siri can't (anything better)? In non-mobile environments is anyone using voice productively, or is it only... a gimmick to show off to friends?
Thanks!

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

Just try the Google app and see, it's free. It's better than Siri. It's faster than typing. But, it's just a search app.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

yea, agreed...it is just "different"...Siri can do more, but the google search voice is decent too...i do like the Google voice sound better though...she sounds more natural and less "robotic".

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to haroldo

A comparison review:
»www.tuaw.com/2012/11/01/siri-vs-···per-win/
--
Impeach Obama and tie up government for next 2 yrs

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to haroldo

try it, its free.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by mromero:

try it, its free.

Besides, using one doesn't prevent using the other. Both reside on the same device without problems.

I find using Siri on my iPad that it does a poor job of speech recognition, often getting what I am saying wrong. But Google search voice does a much better job and it return results much quicker.

--
Impeach Obama and tie up government for next 2 yrs

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by FFH:

said by mromero:

try it, its free.

Besides, using one doesn't prevent using the other. Both reside on the same device without problems.

I find using Siri on my iPad that it does a poor job of speech recognition, often getting what I am saying wrong. But Google search voice does a much better job and it return results much quicker.

Agreed. Siri has a terrible time understanding me. I would guess it gets things about 70% right. Google is more like 95% and very fast.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to haroldo

These voice assistants need alot more to be "mainstream"
--