share rss forum feed

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

bad upload speeds; some websites not resolving

My OOL connection is something I rarely think about. I always get consistent speeds. I have the "regular" OOL. Anyway, this morning it is taking forever to reach websites. Some just time out. I did a speedtest and my download is fine but my upload is bad. Is there anything I can check to see if it is on my end? Or a temporary issue with Optimum?

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
I think all you can really do it check signals and reboot your router and modem.

You could try a direct connect to the modem, but unlikely the router is the issue. Sometimes this fixes it by getting a new IP address, fooling you into thinking it is a router problem. You might try changing the MAC address of your router to force a new IP and see if that helps.

I don't know why a new IP would make a difference, but people have reported getting an address in a completely different range and fixing their speeds.

Other than that, call them (if you can get through) so at least they have a report of the problem.

Good luck!
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Well, I reset my modem and router. After everything came back up, I did a speed test and it was normal. Five minutes after that, I noticed the slowdown and did another speedtest and it was similar to the one I posted above. It's funny. After the storm and my power cam back up my connection was fine. Now all of a sudden. I will see how it is when I get home from work. If still not working, then I will call them.

wirewehere

@optonline.net
Speed issues are generally caused by an outside noise source getting mixed into the cable signal that the data rides on. The noise, if bad enough, will corrupt the data, rendering it unusable, and it will have to be re-sent until clean data gets through. Every time it has to resend, it adds to the amount of time to get the request completed. Upstream signals are particularly susceptible to noise when connections are not tight, not only at the modem, but within your entire house, and, possibly your neighbors house. You obviously can't control your neighborhood's connections, but you can start by making sure yours are good and hand tight on all devices and splitters, especially if you have moved or changed something in your house recently. If that doesn't fix the issue, it's likely that the problem lies on the line to the house or is on the main line to which you will need a tech to come out, but try tightening things first. You might not only fix your problem but maybe your neighbor's too.

ansky08

join:2005-07-11
North Brunswick, NJ
reply to obeythelaw
I'm getting terrible upload speeds at night as well. Sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes for the upload portion of speedtest to connect, and then it sputters under 0.2 Mb/s.

During the day it's fine... been having this problem since shortly after the hurricane. Is this something Cablevision is aware of?

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to obeythelaw
I was going to repost here and state that my speeds, over the last couple of days have been consistent and like they have been in the past. Coincidentally, two different optimum trucks on two differnt days were out in the front of my house working on the line. I didn't call them but apparently other people may have been having an issue. Could be that whatever the techs did outside helped me as well.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to obeythelaw

wirewehere

@optonline.net
reply to ansky08
said by ansky08:

I'm getting terrible upload speeds at night as well. Sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes for the upload portion of speedtest to connect, and then it sputters under 0.2 Mb/s.

During the day it's fine... been having this problem since shortly after the hurricane. Is this something Cablevision is aware of?

Cracks in the main line from being struck by tree limbs can cause noise in the cable system just as a loose connector in the house can. Thermal conditions (warm days, cold nights) can greatly effect those cracks, opening and closing them with the changing temps and creating noise issues at very particular times of the day. Schedule an appointment for a time when the problem is likely to happen. Of course, check that all possible connections in the home are tightened prior to calling.

broadband412

join:2003-06-17
Brooklyn, NY
reply to obeythelaw
Been having this same issue for abut two weeks now. So far had two different techs come out and a modem replacement. The modem was replaced this past Tuesday and today a tech came out because the issue was reoccurring as of Friday night and continuing until yesterday night. Today it's been working great but when there are issues, the upload test either fails or comes back much lower than normal. Pages take forever to load or just time out and ping and traceroutes tests show timeouts and packet loss. I am on regular OOL.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DownTheShore
Go figure....

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to broadband412
Well I've had my 2 drops to my house replaced this past week, but I've been getting connection loss once a day still along with a corresponding T3 timeout in the modem log. Most of the T3 timeouts occur between 9:20 PM and 5:30 AM with one exception being at 1:33 PM. Had a RCS Partial Service and T3 timeout overnight between 12:30 and 5:30 AM on the 17th. Plus by Upstream has jumped between 51 and 53 dBmV on one of the drops while the other has 46.5 on the upstream. Makes no sense if both were replaced.

There must still be issues out there with the lines unless it's still somehow repair related.

HoundNJ

join:2010-10-08
Denville, NJ
reply to obeythelaw
I'm having RCS Partial Service and T3 timeout's also. Plus the last few nights after midnight DHCP Renew Warning's. There must still be alot of OSP issues. Also my SA 4200 rebooted 11/18, SA 8300HD on 11/13 and my Samsungs on 11/15 all around 4:30 am. So it appears CV is doing something.

wirewehere

@optonline.net
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Well I've had my 2 drops to my house replaced this past week, but I've been getting connection loss once a day still along with a corresponding T3 timeout in the modem log. Most of the T3 timeouts occur between 9:20 PM and 5:30 AM with one exception being at 1:33 PM. Had a RCS Partial Service and T3 timeout overnight between 12:30 and 5:30 AM on the 17th. Plus by Upstream has jumped between 51 and 53 dBmV on one of the drops while the other has 46.5 on the upstream. Makes no sense if both were replaced.

There must still be issues out there with the lines unless it's still somehow repair related.

If you're getting different transmit values at the modem when you swap the drops there is a good chance there is water in the tap at the pole effecting only one of the output ports. Use the drop that gives you the lowest value (46.5), then when you get another tech out there, inform him of the discrepancy.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to obeythelaw
My cable boxes rebooted several times last week also. Don't know what time, but noticed that it was off in the morning and I never turn the things off...

Last night and this morning I was having trouble resolving websites.. it was around 6am. Seemed to be running kind of slow too.

Maybe they are doing work?

sputrader

join:2008-02-15
Monsey, NY
reply to obeythelaw

Been horrible the last few days, marginally better during daytime hours. Ironically things were fine for the first week after the storm.