spc
Search similar:

uniqs

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

stet

HBO Go is nice for content, but quality is not as good.

I have HBO Go on my Xbox 360. While I appreciate the content available on it, I am disappointed with the lower quality of the image and sound when compared to watching live (or
DVR recorded) HBO HD. HBO Go is only 720p and 2 channel stereo sound (on the Xbox 360) while true HBO HD is 1080i with 5.1 sound.

Will they ever increase it to the same level as live HBO HD? I doubt it since they will want to keep bandwidth usage somewhat low, especially with some customers having to deal with bandwidth caps.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

they could let you choose what quality you use. Some of us don't have caps and will never have caps.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to stet

Premium Member

to stet
They probably will at some point. Bandwidth is relatively cheap when you are a major company like Time Warner. The demand for higher quality streaming is probably just not that high and offering it now will have an insignificant impact on subscriber totals.
silbaco

silbaco to stet

Premium Member

to stet

Stand alone...

It is a stand alone service in some countries currently in Europe.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to stet

to stet

Re: HBO Go is nice for content, but quality is not as good.

I dont know if it depends on the device you use HBO go on or the content you're watch but i've watch HBO Go using the app on my TV (Samsung) and it was in 5.1 surround sound (was watching Game of Thrones) coming through my receiver.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to stet

to stet
The problem you are having is with the Xbox not HBO GO. I use it with the Roku and the video and sound is much better then the live HD channels. I never watch the live channels anymore due to the far superior quality of the video and sound on HBO GO.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to ArrayList

Anon

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

they could let you choose what quality you use. Some of us don't have caps and will never have caps.

I doubt it. Because it's not about your available bandwidth or caps, it's about their available bandwidth and how much they pay for it.

They probably want to keep a consistent quality level and using ABR to downgrade the quality when bandwidth is lower on the customer end, and keeping their bandwidth costs down.