Search similar:

uniqs

thud
@statcan.ca

thud

Anon

[Cable] Cable Installation experience

Hi Everybody,

After doing extensive research about switching from Rogers to a TPIA, and finding mostly horror stories, I figured it would be nice to show the other side!

I ended up choosing TekSavvy based primarily on their Support reputation.... 12 years with Rogers and never called support once, but that one time you need to call, its nice to have someone there!

Anyway, I chose Teksavvy and placed an order on Nov 1st for the Cable 28/1 plan. I plan on keeping Rogers for a short while, so the installation was to "run another cable to the house", which is the "official" answer when running two services.My first installation window was Nov 8th, between 5:00 and 8:00 PM, and was confirmed by Teksavvy. I bought my own Thomson DCM476 modem, so I actually had the modem hooked up early on my existing line.....bonded up and down, operational, unrecognized MAC (normal Rogers activation page).

The Tech showed up from SC360 at 5:45ish (no phone call, which was fine), and I showed him the signals on the two modems....they were marginal, running -9.0 to -10.6 (he said specs were +10 to -10). He replaced a couple of splitters in the house, but no significant difference. He checked the roadside box, which had a massive signal, and then checked the signal at the house demarcation point, which was miserable....meaning my underground cable was toast. He ran another line, replaced ALL endpoints, the external grounding block, and the hydro ground tap. The technician was amazing...very competent. I now have -3 to -4 for all channels on both modems.

He said that the activation should occur when he closed off the work order, and gave some instructions on what to do if it didn't activate....no worries.....it was up within 10 minutes of him leaving (at 6:30). I did a reboot of the modem just in case.

My initial Speedtest confirmed 28/1. I tried to torrent some TV shows for a test, and was getting approx 700Kbs....not too shabby!. I performed a test later in the evening, but consistently got 5Mbs on speedtest (compared to the initial 32Mbs+). First night....not too concerned....yet!

My Speedtest at 5:30AM this morning was 32Mbs+, with torrents running at 1.7M (very short test.....and no, I didn't run them at the same time . Yay!

So all in all, the installation was very painless and delivered as promised. I will run additional Speedtests during the next week to see if I'm running into bandwidth contention at peak times.....that's my only real concern.

One question though: The Teksavvy Service comes with 3 email addresses; is there a request "page" to set those up, or is it a phone call? It would seem a shame to have to bother a live human being to do this.

Thanks!

Co-ords: Barrhaven (Ottawa)

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

TSI Support1

Premium Member

Hey there,

Thank you for making the time to share your install experience - great to see that your installation has gone smoothly, and that your speeds are looking good.

You can either post on DSLr direct with the requested username/password, or you can add them on this form: »secure.teksavvy.com/tool ··· ormb.asp

Welcome to TekSavvy, and don't hestitate to contact us if you are ever in need of assistance.

Best regards,
TSI-Ashley

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to thud

Premium Member

to thud
+1 to what Ashley said...

As for the email part, the best thing to do is to post in the direct and we will get you setup.

We are aiming for eventual integration within the customer portal

Cheers,

Andre