North Richland Hills, TX

1 edit

SOLVED [OS X] Random crash when viewing Yahoo! videos

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Good Morning,

Have a customer at work, has the only OSX unit due to being a photographer, he updated his system to Mountain Lion and is now having issues viewing Adobe Flash videos and problems with his AD account being locked out.

At random times when viewing a video his sound will start repeating, get a white screen to press any key to reboot. His dual screens will be swapped, and the above reports show.

Bit stumped, Windows dump files I can debug, lost when it comes to OSX.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
--
Avatar by: dandelion | Tell me, tell me what you're after. I just want to get there faster.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [OS X] Random crash when viewing Yahoo! videos

Take the machine off the domain.

85% of your problems will be fixed. 10.8 AD plugin is, for a lack of better term, utterly fucked. There are all sorts of broken permission things (unfixable because nework account) and will make OS X look it's possessed.

Do a local account, test it out, see the difference.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

If anyone is wondering, the OP is dealing with an early 2009 Mac Pro.
My first thought was that it is hardware related, like a flaky graphics processor that is overheating. Running Flash video on some Macs really taxes the GPU. I had a similar problem with an older MacBook Pro. But now that I see it is a tower Mac, I'm not so sure.

Nsane_iceman
Premium
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

Take the machine off the domain.

85% of your problems will be fixed. 10.8 AD plugin is, for a lack of better term, utterly fucked. There are all sorts of broken permission things (unfixable because nework account) and will make OS X look it's possessed.

Do a local account, test it out, see the difference.

Not able to take the unit off the domain.

Another tech swapped which monitor was going to the graphics cards, and he hasn't had an issue.

Rather odd.

Thanks for the replies!
--
Avatar by: dandelion | Tell me, tell me what you're after. I just want to get there faster.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Does this machine have 2 video cards? I think there was a bug with Mac Pros and two video cards in 10.8 - though I have that setup on my Mac Pro and have never had an issue... YMMV....

Nsane_iceman
Premium
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX

said by Count Zero:

Does this machine have 2 video cards? I think there was a bug with Mac Pros and two video cards in 10.8 - though I have that setup on my Mac Pro and have never had an issue... YMMV....

It does. Checked with him this morning, hasn't had an issue.

Odd stuff...
--