uniqs

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to catbrat909

to catbrat909

Re: Windows 8 Mail Issue Road Runner

WRONG! Windows 8's default "Windows Live Mail" esque program doesn't support POP, you made it sound like the OS it self doesn't support POP. You have to bear in mind, W8 is Microsoft Account focused. So sign up for a free Outlook.com account, and configure that to check RR, you can even create a folder for the RR email and send from the RR email address (from outlook.com or outlook program for the From RR feature).
catbrat909
join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

OSUGoose The mail program that comes installed in the comuter does not support POP. I do not and ever liked third party internet and email applications I have always have had issues with them. Microsoft did remove pop functality in their program. You can get it back by installing a third party app like discoused in the forum. By the way OSUGoose Road Runner would be forced to upgrade to IMAP becuase majority of the people use microsoft computers and most use the default applications like Internet Explorer and Windows Live mail. But their are some that will install other browsers and mail applications. It is just how slow they choose to upgrade their servers.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

No RR would NOT be forced to upgrade. They will say they still offer access via webmail.

You do know that the installed default program is designed for you to use THEIR service, not a 3rd party's. You can use another MICROSOFT program called Outlook if POP is that drastically needed. Or Microsoft will suggest you create a FREE Outlook.com account, if you don't already have a Windows LIVE ID or Microsoft Account, and use the "Connect to 3rd Party POP" feature to have that check RR and even sort it into its own folder.

You said yourself that Microsoft dominates this market, thus they don't need to do anything about adding POP to Metro Mail. You will either do what I've suggested twice or blow twice the money on Apple either way Microsoft wins. As you'll end up buying Office for Mac to use their stuff your familiar with.
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

If Road Runner does not upgrade their servers than I might actually have to consider switching to mac. I hope they do because macs cost a lot of money.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

Or you could download the free program already mentioned (Thunderbird) and quit blaming RR who has nothing to do with Microsoft's POP support or lack thereof.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to OSUGoose

Premium Member

to OSUGoose
My new computer with Win 8 Pro (UGH- couldn't order a Win 7 Pro computer with the hardware I wanted) will be here next week. It is a desktop and Microsoft was crazy to put Metro on desktops (athough I think it is fine for tablets and even laptops). Anyways, it comes with a mandatory OEM trial of Office for Home and Students. That has Outlook that supports POP but Outlook, unlike Outlook Express that I have used since 1999, does NOT support Multiple Identities. I think one reason Microsoft didn't include POP support in Metro email client is because the the OEMs are putting Office for Home and Student as a trial on almost all new Win 8 computers and Microsoft and the OEMs probably figure more will buy the software ($115) if it has POP 3 support. I don't think Microsoft just forgot POP 3 on Metro...this was deliberate to sell more Office software...especially to those of us coming from XP Pro because our versions of Word will not work on Win 8).

Thunderbird supports Multiple Identities (I have 6 RR email accounts and 3 others). SeaMonkey builtin mail client does also. I just asked in Sea Monkey News Group if SM supports Windows 8 because it doesn't mention Windows 8 on its hardware requirements page. I was met with some hostility (only an ass would get Windows 8 and why should us developers support that awful OS) but then others said it works fine on Win 8 which means it's builtin mail client, which is very nice, should also work on Win 8 (Desktop...not Metro).

There is also Claws and Postbox3 that work on Windows 8 and are popular mail clients. I may try both of them. I know a lot of folks like Claws. Postbox3 is probably too socially oriented for my taste but some might really like it.

The one thing I will NOT do is use RR webmail which is HORRIBLE for many reasons. A major one is who wants to have to type their user name and password for 6 accounts MANY TIMES A DAY? That is crazy. Web mail is for when you travel. Otherwise, you need a real mail client. Plus, why should I look at crappy ads? I have always, since I got RR in 2001, hated RR webmail. It is not even needed as one can check all mail accounts (including non RR ones) from mail2web.com for free when traveling.
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909 to Fleeced

to Fleeced
jmruss Most providers have an IMAP Server including Cincinnati Bell which does not nearly make as much money as Time Warner Cable. Microsoft also releases information about their product to vendors so they can make adjustments or new software before it comes out to the consumer market so in a way I do blame Time Warner Cable but most of my frustration is aimed at Microsoft.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to Mele20

to Mele20
Clarify what you mean by Multiple Identities. As I've configured Outlook to check several POPs before.
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to catbrat909

to catbrat909
Microsoft doesn't give a shit how other email providers work. They have their own email (Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com) and email services (EAS). No one bitches that Google makes you create a gMail account on their Androids, and the POP support of Android blows too.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Mele20. Haven't you heard of adblocking extensions ? I see no ads. Anywhere.

I only use my RR e mail account for one thing. That is for official Time Warner business (bill paying confirmation) and communication. So I use their webmail for that. Otherwise, I am using a combination of Hotmail and Outlook.com addresses. I configured Windows Mail from Vista to run on my Windows 7 for a couple accounts. Hey...I like it ! For the other accounts I use the webmail for Outlook and Hotmail. I see no ads there also. I also have Yahoo mail account that I have had for years. Need that for all of the junk I register for on the net.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Clarify what you mean by Multiple Identities. As I've configured Outlook to check several POPs before.

Outlook Express from many years ago allowed you to set up what was called "Identities" in the client that kept each mail account inbox separate.. You would go under file > switch identity and could switch to say your "wife's mailbox" she would have her own inbox/sent/etc.. separate from the other identity setup so the mail does not come into one screen.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Um, a lot simpler. Separate User Account to log into the PC. Your complaining about things that the OS isn't designed to do.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by OSUGoose:

Um, a lot simpler. Separate User Account to log into the PC. Your complaining about things that the OS isn't designed to do.

Excuse me but it is my impression that XP is a Microsoft OS and it is set up BY MICROSOFT to do Multiple Identities in Oulook Express which is a PART OF THE OS. A Microsoft MVP specializing in OE set up a free OETool years ago to switch identities (and do many other things in OE) much faster than File/Identities/Switch Identities.

I'm pissed because I couldn't buy a Win 7 Pro machine so I would have OE in XP that is part of Win 7 Pro. Thunderbird has always had Multiple Identities like OE. I had Thunderbird years ago but it insisted then on using a garish blue font when you went to reply instead of black for text of the email you were replying to. It also insisted on italicizing that text so it was irritating and difficult to read. Opera Mail is the same way since Opera 12...Horrible garish blue font that can't be changed. Maybe Thunderbird now allows all black font with normal font for the text of the email you are replying to...I don't know. I hated those colors even if I could changed the garish blue to a nice green. I want all black, no italicizing.

Why would you suggest that I set up SIX USER ACCOUNTS for the OS so I could keep my email Identities separate? How could you possibly fathom for even one second that would be easier? Geeez....
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to OSUGoose

Premium Member

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Microsoft doesn't give a shit how other email providers work. They have their own email (Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com) and email services (EAS). No one bitches that Google makes you create a gMail account on their Androids, and the POP support of Android blows too.

What about REAL Outlook in Microsoft Office? That is not some crap, junk, garbage in the cloud email designed solely for the purpose of spying on you and anyone you correspond with (like GMail and Yahoo do). Real Outlook is an email client that resides on your computer. That is what I want. I know young people spit on privacy but I value it and, luckily, I won't be around when that spitting on privacy that is in vogue now comes back BIG TIME to turn everyone in the USA into slaves.

As for RR webmail, besides having to log into 6 accounts repeatedly every day, there is no way to do list servs or News Groups. I need an email client that isn't some crappy webmail thing with no abilities! I have a COMPUTER. Most of you guys hate computers and don't want to utilize them! You want a toaster that accesses the internet.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to Mele20

to Mele20
Gee that's how every business does it, they don't have one master login to the work computer that all the employees share and then "switch" identities in Outlook. No each user logs in separately, and boom has their own email access. Reality is your resistant to change and thus are tossing a hissy fit despite myself and others telling you there are workarounds that work better.
Expand your moderator at work