Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to urbanriot

Re: Anti-microbial soap recalled over microbial contamination

said by urbanriot:

So the burning I feel on my hands when using alcohol, that's a psychological placebo effect? Innnteresting.

Let's look at the entire line:

said by graniterock:
One point against the anti-microbial soaps is that their residue can encourage increased microbial resistance. Alcohol hand sanitizers don't because they evaporate.
I think the point he was making is that alcohol kills germs and then evaporates before it has the chance to be systemically absorbed and possibly promote resistance.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Ahh, thanks, you're probably right, the period disrupted me from connecting the two sentences.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
The whole point of a period is to separate two sentences

A semicolon might have been better, I guess.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by urbanriot:

So the burning I feel on my hands when using alcohol, that's a psychological placebo effect? Innnteresting.

Let's look at the entire line:

said by graniterock:
One point against the anti-microbial soaps is that their residue can encourage increased microbial resistance. Alcohol hand sanitizers don't because they evaporate.
I think the point he was making is that alcohol kills germs and then evaporates before it has the chance to be systemically absorbed and possibly promote resistance.

2 points for decoding my bad grammar! That's exactly what I was trying to say. Alcohol also does a better job of just outright killing the bacteria.

A quick google search and I found this article which echos pretty much what I was taught.

»health.howstuffworks.com/skin-ca···wed4.htm

I think the research is still figuring it out but there is a growing concern that the anti-bacterial soaps do at some level promote resistance and long term wide spread use could build stronger germs. When one considers that soap and water is considered basically "just as good" it makes it my preferred choice for at home.