kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

1 edit
reply to Camelot One

Re: Sears.com order verification - very strange

said by Camelot One:

So even if I get Sears to confirm it was their rep she talked to, the whole thing still seems fishy to me.

It sounds as if you would have done the same thing as I would have, which is to tell Sears where they could shove your order.
As bitemeboy See Profile pointed out, that information is widely available, but seldom used in that manner.
It's commonly used to verify the information supplied on an online order form.
Enough 'correct' info e.g., address, phone number etc... matching up & the order is a go, not enough data matching up it goes to enhanced scrutiny which is probably what happened.
The good news is that your wife's info has been updated so future purchases with Sears should go without incident (is that really good news? That's the real question)
I'm not at all familiar with Sears but it may have been their CC processor that called. Their usually the keeper of that info, but Sears is large enough that I honestly can't say if it were them or the processor that called but it does appear as a 'legit' call.

Edit to add:
If anyone believes this is an effective ID theft deterrent, think again.
It will only trip up the neophyte while often causing more harm than it prevents because of the 'workaround' that ID thieves use to beat this system.
The workaround is to use a person's ID/CC data to order a full report on the ID they are abusing from services such as »www.intelius.com/ where the answer to those types of questions will be available.
So when a company such as Sears is going to be the target for a fraudulent purchase the ID thief will order up a record of the victim (did I mention using the victims name & CC data) to be prepared for the enhanced security check.
So now the victim has another fraudulent charge plus their life history is now in the hands of an ID thief.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
This morning I was able to confirm that everything is legit, at least in as far as it was Sears she was talking to. Last night the rep couldn't confirm that the phone number belonged to Sears, but when I called this morning and asked for the fraud prevention department, the rep gave me that exact number.

The person I talked to in the fraud department confirmed they were the ones my wife talked to last night. He said they pull that information from multiple databases and that the information is not stored in any Sears database. He pointed out that the same department handles in-store credit card application processing, which might explain how and why they defaulted to gathering such detailed information. He gave me the impression that the department is outsourced to another company. It's worth pointing out that throughout my call this morning, I had the rep rattling off the actual information they had, ie, her job title, what car she drives, etc. I had to provide nothing but my name and the order number to get him talking. My name is not on the order, and I was calling from a different phone number.

I order thousands of dollars worth of equipment online every week, and I have never been asked what kind of car I drive or where I own property. It's usually nothing more than making sure the name, address, and phone number on the order matches the credit card being charged. (and in this case everything matched) I've also never been able to get a rep to start spewing personal information without much more verification of my identity.

But then again, I don't order from slimy places like Sears.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
said by Camelot One:

The person I talked to in the fraud department confirmed they were the ones my wife talked to last night. He said they pull that information from multiple databases and that the information is not stored in any Sears database.

Yes, why deal with PCI issues over the data when it is so easily & readily available on a seconds notice from elsewhere.
The difference between physical storage & access is nonexistent on a practical level.

said by Camelot One:

He pointed out that the same department handles in-store credit card application processing, which might explain how and why they defaulted to gathering such detailed information.

They accessed your wife's data because the system they use did exactly what it's intended to do, correctly (or incorrectly) identifying your wife's order as potentially fraudulent.

said by Camelot One:

He gave me the impression that the department is outsourced to another company.

That's really neither here nor there, but it would make sense on many levels if it were outsourced if even to a subsidiary.

said by Camelot One:

It's worth pointing out that throughout my call this morning, I had the rep rattling off the actual information they had, ie, her job title, what car she drives, etc. I had to provide nothing but my name and the order number to get him talking. My name is not on the order, and I was calling from a different phone number.

That may have been a diversion from policy but I'd put that in the favorable column.
Too often companies will hide behind policy rules to avoid answering questions.
That was probably about someone sensing your concern over the matter & not amplifying it with 'policy rules'.
said by Camelot One:

I order thousands of dollars worth of equipment online every week, and I have never been asked what kind of car I drive or where I own property.

Yes, the more you use your ID for online purchases the easier it is to verify correct info.
said by Camelot One:

It's usually nothing more than making sure the name, address, and phone number on the order matches the credit card being charged.

Those are big items for sure but other factors come into play.
Your IP being out of your normal range is one of the more common items that can flag an order.
said by Camelot One:

I've also never been able to get a rep to start spewing personal information without much more verification of my identity.

Again, I'd be grateful for that given the circumstances but only if I could handle the truth, LOL
Glad the incident was legit, but of course that depends on the definition of 'legit'.