dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

VirtualBox question

Greetings

Just installed VirtualBox on my Ubuntu 12 laptop.

Under the Mac version of VMware, there was an option to clone an existing PC on your home network into your MAC as a VM.

Does a similar feature/proceedure exist for VirtualBox?
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

Look under the Machine tab. Isn't clone there?

hardware bum

join:2004-01-26
State College, PA
reply to dellsweig

I'm not at my computer where VBox is installed so I could be wrong. Try right clicking on the virtual machine you want to clone.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

Under the Mac version of VMware, there was an option to clone an existing PC on your home network into your MAC as a VM.

Does a similar feature/proceedure exist for VirtualBox?

You can clone existing VMs, you cannot create a VM from another PC on your network with VirtualBox. VirtualBox does allow you to teleport or move an existing VM over a network from one VirtualBox host to another. Look up Teleporting in the help.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dellsweig

If you still have the MAC adn VMWare, make the clone of the PC, creating the virtual disk etc. The take that virtual machine and import it into VBox. From what I read at one point, there is at least one format both VMWare and VoBox can read. It's worth a shot.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to dellsweig

If you want to use an existing physical machine as a VM, there's a way to do so in VBox, but they warn that it's extremely risky and that attempts to use the machine both ways at the same time can destroy its data. Details are in the online documentation, which is also installed on your system when you install VBox.

As for the format that both VMWare and VBox can handle, it's the *.vmdk virtual disk file. I have a couple on my VBox systems that were created before I switched from VMWare Server to VBox. The VM itself did not transfer, but the disk did and that was adequate for my needs.
--
Jim Kyle

Uraki
Uraki
Premium
join:2003-06-22
Belle Plaine, KS
reply to dellsweig

I've used the VMWare Converter to take a physical machine to virtual and then use the .vmdk in VirtualBox.

It's been a while since I did that, so I'm not sure if it still works.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to dellsweig

If the PC in question is Windows based this little gem may be of use. I've used it to make a VM of my daughter's laptop, my laptop and even a Windows VM.

Disk2vhd - »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi···ee656415
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to Uraki

said by Uraki:

I've used the VMWare Converter to take a physical machine to virtual and then use the .vmdk in VirtualBox.

Anyone out there get this to work?? I am having touble getting VMware Player running (kernel header issues) under Ubuntu 12.1

Virtualbox runs fine....
--

Uraki
Uraki
Premium
join:2003-06-22
Belle Plaine, KS

Have you looked at »help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Player for VMware Player under Ubuntu?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

said by Uraki:

Have you looked at »help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Player for VMware Player under Ubuntu?

I have it running on other Ubunto boxes but am havong trouble on this particular 64 bit laptop....
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

said by Uraki:

Anyone out there get this to work??

Yep, I have done it as well. Seems to work.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us