ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy to winsyrstrife

Premium Member

to winsyrstrife

Re: Prepaid for about 1 month now

I haven't found one good VoIP client for Android. They all have one problem or another and have terrible integration. ICS has built-in VoIP, but carriers strip it out. I take a more complex route and use Anveo (since it can mask caller ID to my number) and Zoiper...which isn't too bad. Anveo is about $0.01/min.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

I struggled with it, and decided that straighttalk/Tmo was better because my wife is not technical and a smartphone to begin with is pushing her technical ability So it's $45, but the service is awesome. I was on VM/$25 plan but there was no joy in sight for them upgrading their backhaul. On a good day the phone would get 128 kbps. That's old skool edge speeds, and it was on 3G. She now is getting 9 Mbps which is 72x faster for $20 more a month and unlimited voice (she uses a lot of voice).

In any case with her employer discount I could have gotten a good deal for $67 + taxes but in NY taxes are like $20 so that would have been $87 which is $350/yr or $700 over the life of the contract more and you are locked into the contract. If I don't like this, I put in a new SIM and off to the races. The Nexus 4 is the perfect defector's phone.....
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

In my area.. South Florida.. Prepaid plans are only have sales tax(6%) added to air-time/service purchase. It sure beats the typical POT's(40-50%)/cable(13.2%)/wireless (postpaid)20-30% tax rates by a long shot.

All this is beat by using SKYPE/Laptop tethered to Android.. Zero tax.. 2 cents a minute(zero, if to another Skype user).. (note: requires rooting, Browser ID changes, etc..)
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to ssavoy

Premium Member

to ssavoy
said by ssavoy:

ICS has built-in VoIP, but carriers strip it out.

Root and fix. Or buy a Nexus and avoid the restriction from the get go. I use the built in SIP/VoIP with my GSM GNex all of the time. Works wonderfully.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to tkdslr

to tkdslr
said by tkdslr:

In my area.. South Florida.. Prepaid plans are only have sales tax(6%) added to air-time/service purchase. It sure beats the typical POT's(40-50%)/cable(13.2%)/wireless (postpaid)20-30% tax rates by a long shot.

I believe thats all of FL, Central FL taxes as well if you purchase a prepaid refill it has the same tax of 6%. Thats why I purchase mine on ebay and the callingmart not only is there no tax I also get a 5% discount ( which makes a$50 refill $48.50) and ebay bucks for each purchase.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to ssavoy

to ssavoy
How does Zoiper work? will your cellphone and your home phone be online at the same time? Or do you only use Anveo with your cell or what?

I recently started using Anveo.