ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

to MuDvAyNe

Re: WiiU has no digital optical sound port!

said by MuDvAyNe:

Nintendo is always behind in technology. This is no surprise. It's like Apple really.

So since they didn't include technology from 10 years ago they are behind? It has HDMI, how is that putting them behind in technology?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

said by MuDvAyNe:

Nintendo is always behind in technology. This is no surprise. It's like Apple really.

So since they didn't include technology from 10 years ago they are behind? It has HDMI, how is that putting them behind in technology?

I assume the WiiU has ONE HDMI port. And since that one has to go to the TV how can you plug a HMDI cord into a sound receiver?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

2 recommendations

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by ptrowski:

said by MuDvAyNe:

I assume the WiiU has ONE HDMI port. And since that one has to go to the TV how can you plug a HMDI cord into a sound receiver?

Why wouldn't you connect it like this: WiiU => Receiver => TV -- I mean, that's how my Wii, PS3, Roku, and HTPC are all connected to my one TV... with just one HDMI port on the TV in use.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by ptrowski:

said by MuDvAyNe:

my receiver (Denon AVR-1612)

It has a HDMI out which goes to the TV and 4 HDMI inputs for whatever source, given HDMI can do audio and video on the same cable it's not an issue.

For the TV I do have an optical cable hooked to my receiver.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Easily. It plugs into my receiver just like the Xbox, Playstation etc does and the receiver switches from there. All my HDMI components go into the receiver and one HDMI goes to the tv.

Or you could run HDMI to the tv and the tv to the receiver.
ptrowski

1 recommendation

ptrowski to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Using optical over HDMI makes zero sense.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I don't think my tv supports ARC I have to double check but its no big deal to me

lololol
@verizon.net

lololol to ptrowski

Anon

to ptrowski
unless you have a receiver that doesn't have hdmi inputs like me that cost a grand back in 2005 and cant afford to replace it with one that sounds as good.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I hear HDMI switchers are less than receivers...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to lololol

Premium Member

to lololol
I got my denon for like $176 about 4 weeks ago the model that replaces it is $275 you don't have to spend $1000 to get a model with Hdmi

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Unless it's one of those setups where the cables for the speakers are made specifically for that receiver. Yes, even now, that shit happens.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

Unless it's one of those setups where the cables for the speakers are made specifically for that receiver. Yes, even now, that shit happens.

What are you talking about?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

A lot of HTiB's are still sold with proprietary, non-standard cabling keyed to the receiver they were sold with. So, at that point, it then becomes a factor of replacing the whole setup instead of just the receiver.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Oh HTiB I've heard so much bad things about them I knew to stay clear right now I have my Denon with my Logitech Z680's speakers and I hooked the sub up so I don't need a control pod for it to work.

It's enough to hold me until I get my proper setup next month, HTiB are too limiting.. it might look good then but say 5 years down the road it can be a setback.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Why wouldn't you connect it like this: WiiU => Receiver => TV -- I mean, that's how my Wii, PS3, Roku, and HTPC are all connected to my one TV... with just one HDMI port on the TV in use.

LOL! That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Seems like some people are just looking for things to complain about.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

Wii u to the receiver? Why not the receiver to the tv, and then hdmi to the wii u?

You will need your devices connected to the tv if you want to take advantage of the wii u logitech harmony Tvii thing. It's the reason why I have everything connected to my tv for my logitech harmony.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

Wii u to the receiver? Why not the receiver to the tv, and then hdmi to the wii u?

TV=>HDMI=>Wii makes no sense, it goes in the other direction and in which case, it would still go to the receiver first.

You will need your devices connected to the tv if you want to take advantage of the wii u logitech harmony Tvii thing. It's the reason why I have everything connected to my tv for my logitech harmony.

I don't know about your Logitech Harmony remote, but mine works just fine the way it's set up above, everything connected to the receiver first, and one HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV.

I'm not sure why having the TVii in the mix would change that... perhaps you could explain that?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

TV=>HDMI=>Wii makes no sense, it goes in the other direction and in which case, it would still go to the receiver first.

I don't know about your Logitech Harmony remote, but mine works just fine the way it's set up above, everything connected to the receiver first, and one HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV.

I'm not sure why having the TVii in the mix would change that... perhaps you could explain that?

I'm thinking this guy really doesn't have a firm understanding of how this system works....

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

I'm thinking this guy really doesn't have a firm understanding of how this system works....

Agree.. it's so simple it really takes pretty much no thought.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

Agree.. it's so simple it really takes pretty much no thought.

Agreed. This really is basic stuff. Don't understand what this guy is complaining about. Seems to me that he's just looking for something to complain about the Wii U.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to Subaru

to Subaru
My TV supports ARC, but my receiver doesn't. That's okay though. My TV has an optical digital output that will take the stream from the HDMI ports and send it to the receiver. Only thing that is a pain is that I have to turn off the unused sources in order for it to send the correct audio.