Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL

Tennybopper pop music as recent as 2012

Does anyone listen to tennybopper pop music that's recently played in radio? I used to tune to 107.9, a pop music station in Panama City (that station also serves Altha, FL, which I currently live in for the weekends), and while I thought it's my speakers (Insignia NS-B2111), I found that some songs have drums that are over pushed or have some spatial effects (reverb in kick drum, for example) that just doesn't sound right to my ears (everybody does have their own preferences). Or maybe it's just poor mastering.

Anyway, does anyone listen to pop music in radio? How often do you listen to?

I really don't know the artists who wrote pop music that's been made during 2011/2012.
--
Phone: Yealink SIP-T22P + CSipSimple in Optimus V
Phone System: Asterisk 10.1; Server: Debian Sid+Exp

I'm in heaven with VoIP except for 3G wireless.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
I'm not sure what kind of production values you should expect from the corporate squeeze that is pop music.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to GraysonPeddi
They don't use real instruments any more. It's all sampled crap.

[insert Dude111 comment about how recording was better in the 80's because it was analog]

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
That is something I'd agree with.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to GraysonPeddi
said by GraysonPeddi:

Does anyone listen to tennybopper pop music that's recently played in radio?

And as far as Teeny Bopper goes that was NEVER Pop that would be Top 10 or 40 BS.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

They don't use real instruments any more. It's all sampled crap.

[insert Dude111 comment about how recording was better in the 80's because it was analog]

No that A or D is BS now... they literally don't use real instruments anymore and Sample/RIP OFF other peoples work that were real instruments.

One thing I love about living here is real music dominantly survives... to much cover shit... but some wonderful originality here and there, but all REAL musicians playing real instruments.

Techno (ology not genre) rip off crap totally limited to the couple of crap mind numbing "dance bars"
--

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:41
said by Hayward:

No that A or D is BS now... they literally don't use real instruments anymore and Sample/RIP OFF other peoples work that were real instruments.

I love posts like this. Give it a few more years and everyone will say "oh yes, music was so great in 2012, not like this nonsense we have now!" You can see the very same thing just browsing YouTube now and reading some of the comments there - bands and artists that used to be 'mainstream garbage' in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s are great now "because they're better than this autotune/Justin Bieber/Lady Gaga crap"
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

jmycknshk
...bring your green hat

join:2004-07-02
West Chester, PA
said by removed:

said by Hayward:

I love posts like this. Give it a few more years and everyone will say "oh yes, music was so great in 2012, not like this nonsense we have now!" You can see the very same thing just browsing YouTube now and reading some of the comments there - bands and artists that used to be 'mainstream garbage' in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s are great now "because they're better than this autotune/Justin Bieber/Lady Gaga crap"

just like my father's generation of "classic rock" said everything produced in the 80s was garbage. i would assume most of the people making those comments are the ones who listened to it back then, right? it's whatever your ear is tuned into; the music you grew up to and made memories with.

--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
said by jmycknshk:

it's whatever your ear is tuned into; the music you grew up to and made memories with.

Some how I find it hard to see how anyone could draw fond memories from bang your head against the wall or kill/murder the bitch, gay, cop, etc music. That there was plenty of in the 90's and even still.
--

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
Do you listen to any modern music? If so, can you point me to some "bang your head against the wall or kill/murder the bitch, gay, cop, etc" songs that have received mainstream play? Anything in the Billboard top singles would help since we're talking about common, everyday music.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to GraysonPeddi
I can happily say I don't listen to anything considered "new" music.
And haven't for a long long time. It does nothing for me, and I don't even consider it music.

Now there may be a band or three that have a song or two that I do get into, but I wouldn't by any of their music.

I consider myself a 50's up to 90's music listener. I love the old stuff, and don't think I'm missing a thing not giving the newer artist a chance.

And I really get into seeing the old bands still there rocking away, and follow a lot of them closely.
I can see it now, a rapper or someone from the 90's getting up on stage 30 plus years from now doing their old "hits" (lol)
It isn't gonna happen.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to removed
said by removed:

Do you listen to any modern music? If so, can you point me to some "bang your head against the wall or kill/murder the bitch, gay, cop, etc" songs that have received mainstream play? Anything in the Billboard top singles would help since we're talking about common, everyday music.

Eminem
Ice T

I'm sorry, you said music, my bad.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to GraysonPeddi
I listen to whatever suits my interest...

I don't care if it is autotune, sampled, recorded with a band, whatever... I just don't care.

If it sounds good to me, I'll listen to it...
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to removed
said by removed:

Just because they aren't on Clear Channel I-Heart BS stations doesn't mean they aren't significantly popular.... still booming out of cars rattling windows in the BACK of my house as all the nuts an bolts are falling off their cars. But they will stop I guess since they will all be deaf in a few years.

Head banger music and gangsta rap just not quite the same in sign language.
--

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
I think it's safe to say for the most part that something is mainstream if it's played on the radio. There was crappy headbanger music that people played much too loud in your precious 70s as well - there's always been bad music, but it's utter nonsense to say that all modern music is the same.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit
said by removed:

I think it's safe to say for the most part that something is mainstream if it's played on the radio. There was crappy headbanger music that people played much too loud in your precious 70s as well - there's always been bad music, but it's utter nonsense to say that all modern music is the same.

Ahh aren't assumptions grand.... were did I say word one about the 70's???
But the bad music in the 70's was Disco... not the crap that started in the 80's and got progressively worse through the 90's, and has tailed off some but still out there.

Is it on Top40/Pop radio no, but still hear plenty of it publicly.
Been anywhere with a DJ these days... mindless often nasty lyric noise, for the dancing impaired... that need the unvarying driving drone beat.

But getting back to the OT, yes there will always be teenie bopper music, Tifany, Myle Cyris, Hanna Montana, Justin Beiber, etc.
--

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to GraysonPeddi
If I didn't know any better, I would say it's poor encoding somewhere along the line. It's not just teenybopper music either. If it's not recorded properly to digital (poor mastering as you mentioned), then not encoded correctly, it's going to sound nasty. 90% of people either can't hear or simply don't care.

Poor encoding (and mastering on one track) example: Jason Aldean - Don't you wanna stay
Poor mastering example: Nicki Minaj - Va Va Voom

Also radio stations are no longer player tape or records, but rather digital copies, so if they have a poorly encoding copy, it's going to sound like crap. It's one of the reason why I dislike satellite radio, very low bit-rate. Near CD quality my ass.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Ah, yeah. I think that's what I'm talking about. I think I'll back off of music being "tennybopper" and say that it must be due to encoding/mastering issues. But sometimes, "tennybopper" and poor encoding/mastering issues can go hand and hand.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
There is definite some instruments that are next to impossible to encode if you're not lossless. (*.wav) Even then, a straight digital recording still has artifacts. Digital does take out audio imperfections (recording noise, wow&flutter, distortion) but high quality analog equipment, I think, does a better job.

Interestingly, I was looking up digital photography vs 35mm film (100 ISO) to compare resolution. Basically with a high quality camera and a professional photographer, you'd need a 175MP digital camera to equal it, for 70mm you're looking at 700MP. For professional film 4"by5", you'd need a 2GP camera.

Love digital, but it has a long way to go.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

3 edits
said by J E F F:

Interestingly, I was looking up digital photography vs 35mm film (100 ISO) to compare resolution. Basically with a high quality camera and a professional photographer, you'd need a 175MP digital camera to equal it, for 70mm you're looking at 700MP. For professional film 4"by5", you'd need a 2GP camera.

Love digital, but it has a long way to go.

Getting way off topic here again....
But respectfully disagree in both aesthetics and math.

Yes early digital left a lot to be desired....

But digital is clearly now good enough that most pro's use it over film... and film overall market is pretty much left to the disposable camera market for those that just casually shoot and don't want to invest in digital

Even the high tech (med X-rays and scientific applications) have gone digital now.

Just like the analog audio vs digital... its to a purely fanatic boundary now vs anything really practical or economic.

And I am sure Kodak bemoans the day they ever told someone in development to see what you can do with this CCD chip.

Not surprising never ran with it because it would kill film. But everyone else did, even if Kodak was making something from the basic patents.

But fact is Kodak did invent the digital camera....then did their best to suppress it.... to the point very late only P&S getting into it...
after the die long cast.

They created their own demise and not smart enough to see a place to go.

The innocent killed was Polaroid the Chemical digital camera so to speak....had that sown up for 5 decades...and in the end made pretty pathetic digital cameras....

But like Kodak the money was in film.... but for purists and VERY specific applications that difference is all but gone.

--