uniqs

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

[Outlook] Outlook 2010 Rules Help

I'm having an issue getting a rule combination to work the way I want it.

Rule 1
apply this rule when the message arrives from myownemailaddress, delete it

Rule 2
apply this rule when the message arrives from myownemailaddress, delete it and mark it as read

The mark it as read in the 2nd rule, makes it a client side rule only.

Sometimes, from my phone, I send an email with myownemailaddress in the distubution list.

With outlook closed, if Rule 1 is first in the list of rules, I do not see the email in my inbox on the phone. If Rule 2 is first, I do get the email in my inbox on my phone.

The reason I'd prefer to have Rule 2 first is that if I do have outlook open and send the message from there, the message does get marked as read and I don't even get an indication it's in deleted items.

Any ideas why it's working this way? If Rule 2 is first and it's a client side rule and Outlook is closed, how does that even have an effect on this?

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Make two rules. 1) mark it as read, 2) delete it. Both client rules.

Try that.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

1 edit

Lex Luthor

Mod

said by mmainprize:

Make two rules. 1) mark it as read, 2) delete it. Both client rules.

Try that.

I think that works.

I created 1 rule that says from my address mark as read. That's a client side rule and is first.

I created a 2nd rule that says from my address move to deleted items (rather than delete it, not sure that makes a difference). That one is a server side rule.

Seems to be working correctly now. If outlook is open, the email gets moved to deleted items and I never see it at all (since it's marked as read) and if outlook is closed, it still gets moved to deleted items and I never see it on my phone.

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, I had to add a stop processing more rules to the 2nd rule. I guess if you move to deleted, another rule can still move that item to another box.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Great, i have had to play around with rules before to get them to work the way i wanted also.

You could move the two new rules to the bottom of the rules list and might not have to stop processing the other rules if you had any side effects from stopping those other rules.