join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON
reply to donoreo

Re: Dell Ultrasharp U2412M on sale, $289

said by donoreo:

I know it is a favourite, I got an email from Dell

»accessories.dell.com/sna/product···BP2S6-v1

Thanks for the heads up btw!

Decided to order one up. Came to $339.00 with taxes and environment tax. Estimated Ship date is the 23rd.

I have been watching you guys talk about these things for a while, and figured the price was good enough to check it out for myself!

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by bitchtorn:

Is this the "one to get" in the 24 inch range?

I have one, and I think a few others here do as well. The IPS LCD screen is great.

I have one also and it's great but a week later HP's 24" IPS at FS was $149 so I now have 2 IPS monitors.

Edit: sorry it was the 23" »www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···058.aspx

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by Stewy:

said by donoreo:

said by bitchtorn:

Is this the "one to get" in the 24 inch range?

I have one, and I think a few others here do as well. The IPS LCD screen is great.

I have one also and it's great but a week later HP's 24" IPS at FS was $149 so I now have 2 IPS monitors.

Edit: sorry it was the 23" »www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···058.aspx

Hey, 1 inch is 1 inch.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

My 2560 x 1600 monitor does not have four inputs for four PC's.

Mine does. I've got enough inputs of various formats on my U2711 to connect five inputs (2xDVI, 1xDP, 1xHDMI, 1xVGA), on top of the television inputs (1xComposite, 1xComponent). If you ignore all the analog inputs, you can even use cheap or passive adapters to get from four computers' digital outputs to the monitor's digital input.

This is one of the big flaws with the U2412M. It's one of their midrange monitors, not high-end, so it only has a basic set of inputs (1xVGA, 1xDVI, 1xDP). You couldn't use it, for example, to connect an xbox digitally, because it has no HDMI, and even with an adapter, you'd have no audio (the U2711 decodes HDMI audio to a headphone jack that you can connect to your sound system).
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
You have a strange idea of what a "big flaw" is! The inability to connect an Xbox to it without an adapter isn't something most people would ever think about. Another thing you can't do with the U2412M is lay it flat and use it as a cutting board, because you'd crack the screen! It is, however, designed to be a computer monitor, and does that job extremely well.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Wolfie00:

Another thing you can't do with the U2412M is lay it flat and use it as a cutting board, because you'd crack the screen!

You sure?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVTp7eCWBo

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
Those are German iPads -- built for endurance!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to donoreo
Well, my video setup is probably more elaborate than most. I have two display devices (Epson 1080p home theatre projector, and a U2711), two sound sytems (Sony soundbar/sub for the projector, Altec Lansing ACS56 for the computer), and four input devices (360, PS3, Videotron, PC). There used to (and may eventually again) be a Wii in there, but it's analog so it's a special case. DSL_Ricer borrowed it, umm, years ago, and still has it.

So, all of these video input sources go into a MonoPrice 4x2 HDMI matrix switcher. That means that any input device can be sent to any of the two outputs (even both at the same time). Or from the other perspective, you can set any of your output devices to show any of your input devices.

The place where it can get tricky is audio... The way I do the home theatre audio is the output from the HDMI switch goes to the Sony AV receiver, and then from there to the projector. This means any audio on the HDMI will be intercepted by the Sony box to put to the speakers, even from the computer (can bitstream DTS or AC-3 or whatever). But what about the audio from the input being shown on the Dell U2711?

Well, for normal computer use I don't go through the mixer (I plug the computer right into the U2711, and the computer's optical audio out into a digital optical to digital coax adapter and into the speakers). But what about if I want to play 360, or PS3, or watch TV on my computer monitor? I generally prefer playing games on the U2711 when I'm alone, because I prefer being close to the screen for gaming.

So the problem then is audio. Luckily the U2711 can decode HDMI audio and output it to a headphone jack. But my speakers don't have a second input, and the audio level from a 360 is way too loud for headphones... So I run the audio from the U2711 to the computer's line-in, which lets it go out to the computer speakers.

The end result of it is that when I played through Halo 4 on my computer monitor/speakers, the path looks like this:

Video: 360 -> Monoprice matrix switch -> U2711
Audio: 360 -> Monoprice matrix switch -> U2711 -> Shuttle PC -> digital optical to digital coax adapter -> ACS56 speakers

It's complicated, but it works for me, I can put any input onto either screen... When I have a friend over, of course, I put the xbox or the computer or whatever onto the projector. Because Star Trek: The Next Generation blurays playing on an 80" screen is awesome

EDIT: But if I had a much simpler setup where I had no projector or home theatre system, if I only had my Dell U2711, and I wanted to have all my devices lik PS3 and 360 on it, how else would I play any sound without the audio decoding on the monitor? That's why even if I didn't have the home theatre system it would still be important.

For example, DSL_Ricer doesn't (or didn't) have a television, just his monitor, so he had the Wii's component connection going into his Dell monitor. If it didn't have analog inputs, he could not play Wii.
--

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Guspaz:

Star Trek: The Next Generation blurays playing on an 80" screen is awesome

Yea, except for the fact that you learn that in the future, they didn't evolve past zippers and makeup on men. Never noticed that when the shows were originally broadcast...!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to donoreo
Zippers have lasted almost exactly a hundred years so far (modern zipper invented in December 1913, original concept in 1851) and are still as popular as ever, why should that not also be the case 300 years from now? We're 25% of the way from Zipper Invention to TNG already :P
--