spc
uniqs
deepwoods2
join:2011-07-07
Berkeley, CA

deepwoods2 to Cheese

to Cheese

Re: [Speed] new "Performance Promo" is mostly unusable

In speaking with the tech, he said until around 2 months ago, it WAS congestion as they added two channels at that point. Now it is not, and he pretty much assured me of that.

If you are "inside" you can research this. Santa Cruz,CA was only upgraded a couple of months ago. Prior to that is was apparently fugly.

I only found this out today. I've overjoyed that we do not have congestion.

But in the absence of facts, versus conjecture, how would YOU depict time of day cratering? Just asking.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I was making fun of your original stance that it couldn't be anything BUT congestion. I guess I should have put the sarcasm tag on my post.
deepwoods2
join:2011-07-07
Berkeley, CA

deepwoods2

It's all good. No harm, no offense.

But I have been frustrated by lack of facts. I'm hoping a root cause is within reach.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

That would be nice

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to deepwoods2

Premium Member

to deepwoods2
said by deepwoods2:

But in the absence of facts, versus conjecture, how would YOU depict time of day cratering? Just asking.

One simple explanation is that time of day can also mean temperature changes. Those temperature changes cause expansion and contraction which can cause connection problems (especially with loose or corroded connections). Temperature changes also mean resistance changes in the coax and in other components in the connection, and that can also have an effect.

You have to remember that the actual signals are analog, not digital (that is why you have to use a modem*), and anything in the path that causes the analog signal strength or quality to vary, can produce unpleasant results on the digital and IP side of things.

* »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem
quote:
A modem (modulator-demodulator) is a device that modulates an analog carrier signal to encode digital information, and also demodulates such a carrier signal to decode the transmitted information. The goal is to produce a signal that can be transmitted easily and decoded to reproduce the original digital data. Modems can be used over any means of transmitting analog signals, from light emitting diodes to radio.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Also, there may be something (some kind of machinery / equipment) that may be kicking on at around the same time in the neighborhood (close proximity to cable lines / hardware) that may be injecting noise in to the system..

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to deepwoods2

Premium Member

to deepwoods2
said by deepwoods2:

In speaking with the tech, he said until around 2 months ago, it WAS congestion as they added two channels at that point. Now it is not, and he pretty much assured me of that.

That's what DOCSIS 3.0 is supposed to do. Provide faster speeds and add more bandwidth for everyone.
said by deepwoods2:

If you are "inside" you can research this. Santa Cruz,CA was only upgraded a couple of months ago. Prior to that is was apparently fugly.

I understand the system but have no association with Comcast.
said by deepwoods2:

Actually, technically speaking it is or was congestion causing your slowdowns. The problem isn't a congested node though. Even though they added channels your modem and the areas modems weren't able to use all of them so the root cause of the problem was actually in your neighborhood's lines but once everyone started using them there weren't enough usable channels to provide everyone with enough bandwidth to stay at speed, as the tech said he could see the ups and downs on the whole node. Since they are able to utilize all the available channels you shouldn't have the issue anymore.

edit: I can't spell.
--
bobjohnson

bobjohnson

Premium Member

The anon is correct btw. It would be the amp that I was talking about. A 750 amp but I can't see very well on my tablet so sometimes I just guess