uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to batsona

Re: Symptomps of a failing fuel pump...

said by batsona:

In my dispair, I'm thinking that everyone's out to pull the wool over your eyes & charge the highest $$ for the lowest amnt of work.

It is sad that there are those that do that and give the whole industry a bad rep. But there are a bunch of good ones out there, but that is where you have to sometimes gamble and educate yourself to find one. It shouldn't have to be that way but that is life.

said by bastona :

I guess I go to the dealer, because (maybe incorrectly)? I think that given the complexity level of the repair of modern cars being 10X greater now, than it ever was, only the dealer has the people with the proper training to do the job. It's no longer an engine with a carb on top, and a distributor and spark plugs... its lots more these days.

Again it is sometimes true, but a good garage will have employees with current ASE certifications and up to date modern diagnostic equipment and training. Again this is back to what I said above. It sucks but whacha goin to do? Just don't think the whole industry is crap.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to batsona

quote:
I guess I go to the dealer, because (maybe incorrectly)? I think that given the complexity level of the repair of modern cars being 10X greater now, than it ever was, only the dealer has the people with the proper training to do the job. It's no longer an engine with a carb on top, and a distributor and spark plugs... its lots more these days.

There are 2 local shops I take my car to if I need to - both are great and they know how to diagnose and repair cars. Some may have actually worked at a dealership in the past.

Good local shops will guarantee their work and make surer the employee is up top date with training.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:1
reply to batsona

So the fusion doesn't have an access panel in the car to change out the pump without removing the tank?
--
my site

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by boogi man:

So the fusion doesn't have an access panel in the car to change out the pump without removing the tank?

It was the "at the Dealership" cost that was the biggest issue to the OP not the access type as he isn't a DIYer, but he also never got a 2nd or 3rd price quote from anywhere else either.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?
Expand your moderator at work

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to batsona

Click for full size
RockAuto Fuel Pumps For 2002 DOHC Focus
said by batsona:

OP here: Welp, it happened. When I started the car this morning, it ran for a 1/2 second the stalled (I'm thinking the pump didn't come back on, after the prime. It stalled after 1/2 second or so. When I went to restart there was NO noise from the pump while priming. Engine cranks and cranks & no joy. Attached is a picture of it leaving for the local Ford Dealership.

Local Ford dealership? You're kidding right? Dealerships are for cars under warranty. Should have taken it to Firestone, Midas, PepBoys, or similar, all would have been cheaper than the dealership, and should buy the fuel pump on your own for one of those places to install for you.

RockAuto has fuel pumps for that car starting at $36. Even the name brand MotorCraft pump is only $244
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

said by TheTechGuru:

Local Ford dealership? You're kidding right? Dealerships are for cars under warranty. Should have taken it to Firestone, Midas, PepBoys, or similar, all would have been cheaper than the dealership, and should buy the fuel pump on your own for one of those places to install for you.

Guess I've had good luck with the Ford dealers around here. Yes, they are more than an independent shop. But what I get from them is a ride to work, knowing I'm not going to get scammed, someone who knows my car, and decent prices. All those chains (Firestone and Midas) are notorious for scamming people for unneeded work. Yes, dealers have done it too but I think a lot of that was cleaned up.

I pay ~$40 for an oil change and tire rotation (plus the "inspections") at the dealer. I'm also part of their rewards program where I get 5% back for service as well as every 5th oil change free.

It works for me and the prices are not that out of line - they did the front bearing on the wife's Escape (a bitch of a job) for ~$300 which is not bad at all.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

Well, in this case the dealer tried to charge $500 for a $244 part.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

said by TheTechGuru:

Well, in this case the dealer tried to charge $500 for a $244 part.

MSRP on the Motorcraft pump is a little under $500 - you can check at www.fordparts.com . Advance has them at about $300 for Bosch. Expensive, yes but may be worth it.

I've found with aftermarket parts sometimes they just don't work:
Coolant sensor on the wife's Escape - According to Advance it's the right one. Nope, wouldn't thread on at all as it was too big. Ford dealer part - perfect fit.

Parking brake cable on the wife's Escape - Special Order from Advance and it was too short and didn't fit right. Ford dealer part - perfect fit and not a special order.

For some things I'll go OEM to avoid the hassles.

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA
reply to batsona

A new fuel pump on my 92 Ranger was about $250.00. The second time it was about $800 because they had to flush the entire gas line because of all the sediment that got sucked in because my gas gauge didn't work and I ran out of gas often. I kept a 2 gal can in the back to get me going again.

You got ripped for $1000 bucks!

Expand your moderator at work

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Motorcraft for the aftermarket and at a dealer are not necessarily the same part.
We also don't know whether the OEM pump was a full assembly, or just the bare pump. I wasn't there, so I won't spout off about what was needed or not.

Motorcraft and most OEMS have separate divisions for OEM and aftermarket parts.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to batsona

OP here: For the last 5-6 posts -- this is why I go to the dealer --

---Who has time to buy parts that dont fit & need to ship them back, while I sit out-of-work?

---GoodYear broke BOTH my front springs (on my late Ford Focus), fixing my suspension, and made me pay $700 to fix them, saying it wasn't related.

---Using FaceBook, and the group for my local Community Association, I've solicited info on all local shops that do work on Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler.. I've seen 4 recommendations so far.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by batsona:

OP here: For the last 5-6 posts -- this is why I go to the dealer --

---Who has time to buy parts that dont fit & need to ship them back, while I sit out-of-work?

---GoodYear broke BOTH my front springs (on my late Ford Focus), fixing my suspension, and made me pay $700 to fix them, saying it wasn't related.

---Using FaceBook,

Who said that you were able to diagnose and replace the in-tank high pressure fuel injection pump? I see people posted how much the pump ranges for in price and nothing about the pump (if bought online) would not be correct for your application as there is no indication there are multiple possibilities.

And no-one suggested Goodyear, or any other chain shop or tire store. Most recommendations were non-dealer independent shops that you can find in any Yellow Pages. Facebook isn't known to be the place to find qualified service and/or repair shops or technicians.

Anyway, regardless of the pump failing you stated you were already buying a new to you, used vehicle to replace the Ford as your Christmas to yourself so everything is pretty much moot with the Ford or its fuel injection pump.

Good luck with your Jeep.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

I received some recommendations from some people in my neighborhood, via Facebook, based on actual experiences - I'm not into Blind Faith anymore. Also, I was just mentioning that there are shops that still do some odd things, in mentioning the local GoodYear shop. --I'm looking forward to some much better experiences in using the private shops. Our minivan needs valve cover gaskets, and a new plastic ladder-ribbon for one of the slider doors.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

2 recommendations

said by batsona:

I'm not into Blind Faith anymore.

I don't know; "Can't Find My Way Home" has held up pretty well. Side two was a little weak, I'll concede.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC