share rss forum feed

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
reply to justgeegz

Re: [OOL] Network Setup Cisco DPQ-3925

Does this setup imply that CV allowed this customer two authorized MAC addresses at a time? I don't see how the imac and the router would simultaneously work otherwise.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by Network Guy:

Does this setup imply that CV allowed this customer two authorized MAC addresses at a time? I don't see how the imac and the router would simultaneously work otherwise.

The DPQ-3925 has a built in router. If he doesn't have static IP service, the DPQ might've been configured for NAT + DHCP, so then there's still only 1 CPE MAC address (the internal WAN of the router).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

The router WAN interface still gets the public IP, as said above, like when the router is configured for Static IP, but the devices take a 10. IP instead of being configured for the static IP range - like if someone uses the Cisco 851 router and it loses the static IP config.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1

That DPQ3925 was never supposed to land on your residential, non-static-IP account. Tech must have confused it with a DPQ3912 - they are similar enough. Without static-IP, it's operating in NAT mode, and if you were operating another NAT box behind it, there's some significant caveats - NAT-behind-NAT doesn't work well for a few things (XBOX Live very much breaks, I think Netflix had problems with it, too). Fully explains why you were able to operate both a directly attached machine and a router at the same time, too - it has a 4-port switch, but all ports are in the same 192.168.x.x RFC1918 network.