All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Billkwando
join:2005-10-20
Germantown, MD

Billkwando

Verizon randomly sent me a new wireless router free.

Yesterday I received a wireless router (kinda looks like a flat bullet) and I think it's the wireless N one they sell for $80. It came with a letter saying the last router they gave me (I assume they mean the wired Dlink from YEARS ago I never hooked up) was outdated and that I should use the new one before there is any interruption in service.

I have a Linksys WRTG45GS (I think it's a 45....it's the one everybody has.....w/ Tomato firmware). It's only b/g and my wife's laptop is an N, so I don't see any reason not to give this free router a try, but are they pulling my leg talking about interruptions in service? Is there any reason NOT to use this router? Will it make my connection any faster? ( prolly a silly question).

Have there been other reports of this router giveaway I've overlooked?

Thanks!

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

What speed tier do you have?

The WRT54GS is limiting you to around 35Mbps up/down. If you have a speed tier higher than that, you'll see better speeds through the router they sent you.
Billkwando
Germantown, MD

1 edit

Billkwando

Interesting! I just logged in and it says I have FiOS Internet 25/15.

Wonder why they sent me the freebie?

Also I don't think they offer anything higher than 35/35 in my area.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Might be part of the getting rid of ppoe thing. It is a proactive replacement
Billkwando
Germantown, MD

Billkwando

Turns out it's a MI424WR rev E, so I don't think it's N after all. I didn't hear about the PPOE thing....that's pretty significant...that woulda sucked if my internet had just gone floopy one day.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to Billkwando

Premium Member

to Billkwando
I have several routers that FiOS has sent me over the last 5+ years for no reason. They are all gathering dust in my closet. One day I need to turn them all in.