how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mwolfson
Mel In Brooklyn

join:2002-06-30

Router that works with cable and Verizon MiFi

Can anyone recommend a router that would allow me to connect to my cable system and to which I could also connect the MiFi via USB which could serve as a fallback in the event that cable internet goes down?

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
proxicast lan cell 3

»www.proxicast.com/shopping/index···id=29905

i have several deployed out in the field and only have USB modems connected to them, but there is a WAN port to support the setup you are looking for.

edit- i dont know if the mifi device is the same as a usb modem.

mwolfson
Mel In Brooklyn

join:2002-06-30
The MyFi is a Verizon hotspot that claims the capability to be tethered. It can be connected to a computer via usb.

I have read that it is possible to have a router set up to use my cable as its primary internet source and which would automatically fall back to the MyFi in the event that cable goes down. Having just experienced four days without internet as a result of Hurricane Sandy, having a backup internet source would seem to be prudent.

Thanks for your reply, I will investiget the router you mentioned.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
if you know what type of modem/WAN card the mifi has, you can look here:

for the lan cell 3 router

»www.proxicast.com/shopping/index···id=29905

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to mwolfson
Or a cheaper but mildly round-a-bout option: Get a router that is DD-WRT/Tomato/OpenWRT capable and run it in 'Client Repater' mode. Basically the router runs as a client to the Mifi's wireless and repeats it out on separate SSID/security with all routing functions intact.

Did this not too long ago in an emergency and it worked sufficiently for my needs as a backup. Didn't really notice a speed drop at all.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
said by Vchat20:

Or a cheaper but mildly round-a-bout option: Get a router that is DD-WRT/Tomato/OpenWRT capable and run it in 'Client Repater' mode. Basically the router runs as a client to the Mifi's wireless and repeats it out on separate SSID/security with all routing functions intact.

Did this not too long ago in an emergency and it worked sufficiently for my needs as a backup. Didn't really notice a speed drop at all.

not saying this is a bad idea, but is that an automated process?

my redundant connection doesn't require me to configure/unplug anything.

don't take it the wrong way, just a simple question.

JollyStomper
The Funky Feel One
Premium
join:2003-03-16
Level 15
reply to mwolfson
Cradlepoints are pretty good...

»www.cradlepoint.com/products

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

said by Vchat20:

not saying this is a bad idea, but is that an automated process?

my redundant connection doesn't require me to configure/unplug anything.

don't take it the wrong way, just a simple question.

Not directly, although at least with OpenWRT and Tomato it is entirely possible to write up a script to manage the functionality.

It depends on how much money you are willing to pay to get that functionality. With the above solution it is only the cost of your average SOHO router. Buying a router with this ability built in I imagine is going to pump that cost up tenfold.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
'It depends on how much money you are willing to pay to get that functionality.'

good point. you get what you pay for.

i am not good at scripting (yes, there is a good chance i could find someone online who has already created the script) and if i needed redundant internet there would probably be a monetary reason for it (business). in that case, i wouldn't mind paying a little more to get something that is already built/designed.