telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

FYI - Here are the latest additions to the list (»www3.tivo.com/products/t ··· _comcast ):

Indiana*
Miami, FL/South Florida*
Philadelphia, PA

* XFINITY On Demand is currently not available in all areas of this region
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

FYI - Just noticed the latest additions/changes to the XFINITY On Demand list (»www3.tivo.com/products/t ··· dex.html), with "Western MD" being changed to "Maryland*" now:

Maryland*
Michigan*
Washington DC
West Virginia*
Virginia*

* XFINITY On Demand is currently not available in all areas of this region

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I see that New Jersey* is listed for partial support but still don't see any updates as to when the entire state will be supported.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Right now I would have said to use the Zip Code "Look up" on that page to check different areas in NJ, but it still doesn't seem very accurate.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I know that when I tried other states it worked. What sucks is that I just got my TiVo set back up and been looking forward to the on demand stuff
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I see that New Jersey* is listed for partial support but still don't see any updates as to when the entire state will be supported.

From what I've heard, it's hopefully going to be in May of 2013 unless it changes.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

New generation of TiVo by holiday 2013 if FCC can get with it.
TiVo petitioned the FCC back in Feb to get waivers to make new all-digital models and they still haven't heard back, so they filled a status request this month.
quote:
As the Commission is aware, the lengthy design and production cycle faced by consumer electronics manufacturers like TiVo makes it extremely important that the Commission act expeditiously to resolve the kinds of technical issues raised in the Petition. In this case, if TiVo is to begin production of its proposed all-digital DVRs in time to begin delivering them for the 2013 holiday season, the Commission must act to grant the Petition soon.
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· ew-dvrs/
quote:
Yet, with the agency’s leadership in flux (and that nonsensical Charter ruling), it’s conceivable that TiVo may not receive a timely or desired response. In any event, two recent TiVo user surveys suggest the company is evaluating a 300-hr, 4-tuner, digital cable and OTA Premiere successor.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

My biggest concern is that TiVo is going to roll out a multi tuner model with the over the air function. My other concern is that TiVo is going to drop all software update projects for the series 4. I mean look at the fact that TiVo can't even get their butts in gear and rollout updates for the Series 3 and Series 3 HD for MPEG4 support.

I do hope that gigabit Ethernet will be included in the new version and that they will still have a two tuner model to keep costs down. I also hope that it will be backwards compatible with the series 4 for streaming and transferring in both directions since it's more then likely going to be purchased and implemented in a Series 4 environment and I need everything to mesh well and have the same HDUI interface for ease of use and familiarity.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

1 recommendation

Morac

said by Mike Wolf:

My biggest concern is that TiVo is going to roll out a multi tuner model with the over the air function. My other concern is that TiVo is going to drop all software update projects for the series 4. I mean look at the fact that TiVo can't even get their butts in gear and rollout updates for the Series 3 and Series 3 HD for MPEG4 support or new copy protection support for HBO on Verizon FiOS. »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=491051 »www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· dly-731/

Series 3 boxes are at end-of-life stage. Basically they are similar to Windows XP and Vista with Microsoft. Series 3 boxes will keep getting guide updates, but no new software updates.

On a side note, there's nothing to update on the Series 3 boxes for Verizon copy protecting HBO. The Series 3 is "working correctly" by not allowing transferring and behaves the same way the Premiere does. If you are referring to the fact that Series 3 boxes can't stream, see my first paragraph (plus they don't have the networking and CPU to do so).

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

Um, Windows XP came out in 2001 and support isn't being discontinued until 2014, Windows Vista came out in 2007 and support isn't ending until 2017, and Windows 7 came out in 2009 and support isn't ending until 2020. That's 13 years of support for XP, 10 years of support for Vista, and 11 years of support for 7.
TiVo S3 came out in 2006 and was discontinued in 2008. TiVo HD came out in 2007 and was discontinued in 2008. »www.tivopedia.com/model- ··· vohd.php
»www.tivopedia.com/model- ··· ies3.php
I also came across this post explaining TiVo's stance on their older generation DVR. »Re: List of CableCARD equipment MPEG-4 support status

What I'm referring to is that customers with Series 3 TiVo's aren't being able to view MPEG4. The copy protection issue is something different.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

XP and Vista are on out of mainstream support, which means they don't get any feature updates, just security updates. Hence my analogy. Just like XP isn't getting Internet Explorer 9 or 10, the Series 3 boxes aren't getting new features, including MPEG4 support.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I'm not exactly sure what the point of all this is. I, like everyone else, just don't want their Series 4 to become useless the day after the Series 5 comes out, and that it will mesh well in an existing TiVo environment. That's it. Now I don't wanna continue this discussion because it's off topic to the OP.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

FYI - While the free version of the TiVo Desktop for PC will soon be discontinued (»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· ntinued/), TiVo announced today its free "TiVo App for iPad":

TiVo Launches Customized Personal Dashboard for iPad
"What to Watch Now" Combines Recommendations and Personal Preferences to Create a Custom Dashboard That Presents Viewers Exactly the Content They Want Most Anytime They Turn on Their TV

TiVo Press Release - May 16, 2013
»pr.tivo.com/press-releas ··· -1018169

Also see: »www.tivo.com/mytivo/prod ··· dex.html

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Was aware of the discontinuation of the free version TiVo desktop software. I'm unaware how that and the iPad app has anything to do with Xfinity On Demand for TiVo Premiere. What bothers me is that TiVo can't even offer the TiVo Stream to customers with Android devices yet they add more features to iOS devices.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Was aware of the discontinuation of the free version TiVo desktop software. I'm unaware how that and the iPad app has anything to do with Xfinity On Demand for TiVo Premiere.

Yes, my FYI post was a little OT, but this is the current Comcast service on TiVo thread right now.

BTW - as it says at the end of the MCN article about this (»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· d/143342 ):
quote:
TiVo, of course, isn’t along in developing recommendation engines. Comcast is working on a new version of its cloud-based guide, internally called X2, that will add recommendation features. The MSO is expected to show off the new guide at next month’s Cable Show in Washington, D.C.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

ah ok. thanks
Still ticked off at the incompetence of TiVo or their Android developers for not having Android support for the Stream by now but that's a rant for another day.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

1 recommendation

GTFan

More useless stuff for the iPad app, no VOD rollout for the ATL. I sure hope Tivo is getting their money's worth out of Comcast because Comcast sure isn't all that interested in getting VOD working on a lot of Tivos.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

ah ok. thanks
Still ticked off at the incompetence of TiVo or their Android developers for not having Android support for the Stream by now but that's a rant for another day.

I guess it may be a while longer for Android:

Still No TiVo Stream For Android
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - June 10, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· android/

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

(bleep)

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

FYI - The latest TiVo accessory:

TiVo Mini IR Extender & Wall Mount Now Available
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - June 14, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· ailable/
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Latest news on 5th gen TiVo hardware:
»www.theverge.com/2013/6/ ··· x-tuners

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by SpHeRe31459:

Latest news on 5th gen TiVo hardware:
»www.theverge.com/2013/6/ ··· x-tuners

From the information provided in the Product Description section of the test report on the FCC OET Exhibits page »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r ··· TGN-RC30 for the new TiVo remote, it looks like that remote uses ZigBee RF4CE too, like the Comcast XR2/XR5 remote.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

We're forgetting one of the most important things about this remote. Will it work with past TiVo's like they have in the past, or is this so "revolutionary" that it just ends up being a big "screw you" to everyone without the Series 5?

That article just seems like speculation. I mean hell all that new money that was mentioned probably won't even be put to use for finishing the development of the software for the Premieres. I mean hell the 20.3.1 software rollout has turned into nothing more then a complete and utter failure and screwup. »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=504477
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

We're forgetting one of the most important things about this remote. Will it work with past TiVo's like they have in the past, or is this so "revolutionary" that it just ends up being a big "screw you" to everyone without the Series 5?

Well since it supports IR as well as RF4CE I would think you could use for previous models. But of course only as an IR remote.

TiVo would need to supply a proper RF4CE USB receiver and software support for older models for out-of-line-of-sight support. Knowing TiVo's current state of supporting things (or lack thereof) I kind of doubt they'll do it.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

It's still unknown as to why they got rid of the Bluetooth supported TiVo slide remote, not even TiVo seems to know why. I do wish they'd hurry up and release this remote, or at least show us what the heck it looks like.
GTFan
Austell, GA

1 recommendation

GTFan to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I mean hell the 20.3.1 software rollout has turned into nothing more then a complete and utter failure and screwup. »www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=504477

This is a gross exaggeration - it has issues just like any Tivo SW update but my Elite runs fine with it, and the stuff I've seen is easy to workaround. Did they break as much as they fixed? Sure, but it's not an 'utter failure and screwup', it's just the usual Tivo crap.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf

New TiVo Series 5 Remote (bottom view)
said by Mike Wolf:

It's still unknown as to why they got rid of the Bluetooth supported TiVo slide remote, not even TiVo seems to know why. I do wish they'd hurry up and release this remote, or at least show us what the heck it looks like.

Here are some comments on the Zatz Not Funny! site:

quote:
June 18, 2013 at 1:24 am

... Hey Dave, any idea how big that new remote is? More like the slide or as big as the others? I still kinda dig the size of the slide myself. RF would be awesome though. ...

June 18, 2013 at 6:07 am

From the one crappy pic of remote that passed through the FCC, it appears somewhat shorter than the traditional peanut and the ridges are in the center, versus the bottom. I no longer have a Slide (which was a bad move on my part), so I can’t compare the rears. There are two models a S5-S MSO and a S5-S Retail. The retail has one less button – VOD, maybe? I’m hoping that “-S” means Slide… as an audible location alert does nothing for me.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to GTFan

to GTFan
I have to disagree with your statement since I haven't seen anything that was actually fixed, just broken and there really is no workaround for these issues such as the Netflix app crashing, missing temp. info, truncated program data, and so forth. Glad you haven't noticed any issues yet with your Elite but the number of people who have far outweigh those who haven't (or won't admit it). Simple as that. Anyway let's not get off topic here.

Xfinity app works great
GTFan
Austell, GA

GTFan

You have no idea how many people are having issues or not, you can't go by the number of people that post on TCF - a lot of people not having issues don't post. If the update was as truly broken as you think it is, there would be a zillion angry threads there and another update would've been released very quickly to fix any showstoppers.

The fact of the matter is that there are none, just annoyances. No different than any other update Tivo has released, and I'm sure I've been using them a lot longer than you.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

You can't claim that there would be a billion threads on the same thing, because the TCF mods wouldn't allow it and would just combine threads for more streamlined organization. Secondly since the new software hasn't yet been pushed to the general public as a general release, every single customer hasn't gotten it yet thus wouldn't have anything to call in and complain about. We just want this all fixed before it's released to the general population so that everyone doesn't have to suffer. Furthermore one cannot say that the update isn't broken because many haven't reported on it, because many could have reported it to TiVo itself and wouldn't say anything for fear of admitting guilt or bad press. Anyway let's not get off topic and just agree to disagree and leave it at that.