·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to batsona

MVM

to batsona

Re: Symptomps of a failing fuel pump...

This looks to be fairly comprehensive:

»www.aa1car.com/library/f ··· nose.htm

You really need to test the fuel pressure to know if the pump is failing but other things could make it seem like it has failed - like a clogged fuel filter.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Agreed. Fuel filter should be the first thing to replace. Start cheap, then go expensive!

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I would start with diagnosing it first. Fuel pressure is a good first step.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Normally, I would agree. A 2-3 second prime is normal.

Maybe the OP can state when he changed his filter last? As I've said, I prefer to start cheap for fixes.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

OP here: Fuel filter changed: never. 113K miles! Now, this might be subjective, but the fuel pump seems to make a lower-pitched noise now, than it did months ago. When I had this happen in my old '92 mercury cougar, the guy at the garage said I was ready for a catastophic failure which would have stopped me cold in the middle of the freeway.. After repair, I could barely hear the pump run at all... Thanks for all the reccomendations!

Also: Just replaced all 4 plugs this summer, with Motorcraft OEM originals, from the Ford dealership. I've always stayed with OEM...

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

First replace the filter. Second, stop letting it "prime" by waiting with the key in the run position. That's *not* what it is designed to do. What it does is run the fuel pump during the time that there is zero oil pressure with the key on, which normally prevents the pump from running. The "prime" as you call it is there to get the system flowing for the crank process, and it should be a smooth action with the key, past run to start.

And the best advice here is to not use premium fuel in any case, unless it is specified in your owner's manual. Premium fuel use in an engine not designed to use it causes poorer performance in many cases, and one of the biggest is cold-start performance.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

Click for full size
Car leaving for dealership...
OP here: Welp, it happened. When I started the car this morning, it ran for a 1/2 second the stalled (I'm thinking the pump didn't come back on, after the prime. It stalled after 1/2 second or so. When I went to restart there was NO noise from the pump while priming. Engine cranks and cranks & no joy. Attached is a picture of it leaving for the local Ford Dealership.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Click for full size
RockAuto Fuel Pumps For 2002 DOHC Focus
said by batsona:

OP here: Welp, it happened. When I started the car this morning, it ran for a 1/2 second the stalled (I'm thinking the pump didn't come back on, after the prime. It stalled after 1/2 second or so. When I went to restart there was NO noise from the pump while priming. Engine cranks and cranks & no joy. Attached is a picture of it leaving for the local Ford Dealership.

Local Ford dealership? You're kidding right? Dealerships are for cars under warranty. Should have taken it to Firestone, Midas, PepBoys, or similar, all would have been cheaper than the dealership, and should buy the fuel pump on your own for one of those places to install for you.

RockAuto has fuel pumps for that car starting at $36. Even the name brand MotorCraft pump is only $244
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

itguy05

said by TheTechGuru:

Local Ford dealership? You're kidding right? Dealerships are for cars under warranty. Should have taken it to Firestone, Midas, PepBoys, or similar, all would have been cheaper than the dealership, and should buy the fuel pump on your own for one of those places to install for you.

Guess I've had good luck with the Ford dealers around here. Yes, they are more than an independent shop. But what I get from them is a ride to work, knowing I'm not going to get scammed, someone who knows my car, and decent prices. All those chains (Firestone and Midas) are notorious for scamming people for unneeded work. Yes, dealers have done it too but I think a lot of that was cleaned up.

I pay ~$40 for an oil change and tire rotation (plus the "inspections") at the dealer. I'm also part of their rewards program where I get 5% back for service as well as every 5th oil change free.

It works for me and the prices are not that out of line - they did the front bearing on the wife's Escape (a bitch of a job) for ~$300 which is not bad at all.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Well, in this case the dealer tried to charge $500 for a $244 part.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by TheTechGuru:

Well, in this case the dealer tried to charge $500 for a $244 part.

MSRP on the Motorcraft pump is a little under $500 - you can check at www.fordparts.com . Advance has them at about $300 for Bosch. Expensive, yes but may be worth it.

I've found with aftermarket parts sometimes they just don't work:
Coolant sensor on the wife's Escape - According to Advance it's the right one. Nope, wouldn't thread on at all as it was too big. Ford dealer part - perfect fit.

Parking brake cable on the wife's Escape - Special Order from Advance and it was too short and didn't fit right. Ford dealer part - perfect fit and not a special order.

For some things I'll go OEM to avoid the hassles.
Expand your moderator at work

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Re: Symptomps of a failing fuel pump...

Motorcraft for the aftermarket and at a dealer are not necessarily the same part.
We also don't know whether the OEM pump was a full assembly, or just the bare pump. I wasn't there, so I won't spout off about what was needed or not.

Motorcraft and most OEMS have separate divisions for OEM and aftermarket parts.