spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHox

join:2012-05-31

Router suggestion/configuration

I have a small network setup for a customer between 2 buildings, with some Nanostation M5s bridging both buildings sharing internet service. I need advice on what router to use on the modem end. The setup as follows:

BUILDING 1
100MB Cable Modem
Router 1(to be replaced)
Ether 2: wired to 2nd router1A(customer owned) for local internet in building 1
Ether 3: wireless bridge via 2 UBNT M5s

BUILDING 2
Upstream via UBNT m5 wireless bridge, plugged into..
Router 2 -MT rb1200, which controls...
5 UBNT UniFi APs for wireless which serves up about 100 clients

The router in question is router 1, right off the cable modem. When I was brought on to this, "project" you can call it, there was an off the shelf walmart bought Netgear router right off the cable modem. I have not replaced that router yet, and looking into it further it appears this router is limited to 100 connections. I've seen error logs in router1 stating that my RB1200 router(router 2) is giving router1 DOS attacks because of the amount of connections the RB1200 is serving up.

The RB1200 in building 2 serves up around 100 clients, with QoS/dchp,fw, etc.
Router 1, would only serve 2 clients essentially, the customer owned router (router 1a) in building one, and the rb1200 via the bridge.

This is where I do not know enough about how the routing would work. Seeing as all the clients are on the RB1200, when that data passes through to router 1. does that router see the data as one client? Or does that router see all separate 100 clients? What I am trying to get to is can I get a basic router in there to just serve the 2 devices on that end, or do I need another high end router, to again route all the data coming from the RB1200.

I have an RB951-2N I was going to use for Router 1, would that be sufficient?
Or do I add another powerful router along the lines of another RB1200?
Or, do I move the RB1200 to building1, and use a switch and building2, thus moving all that traffic (qos, fw) over the wireless bridge?

Hope you got all that, thanks in advance.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
The basic rule-of-thumb is to put as much horsepower in the backhaul as possible.

The easy-peasy thing to do is put another RB1200 in place of the existing Netgear. After all, the RB1200 in Building 2 is handling the traffic alright...correct?

TheHox

join:2012-05-31
Well I actually have an RB750UP there now, that has been getting hit pretty hard, it's not cut out for that job. I was going to go replace that with the new RB1200 I picked up tomorrow.
The 750 is doing "ok" but with all the other issues going on, I don't think I'll see full performance till I get everything up to par.

Which brings me to here as what to use off the modem. I'd hate to spend another $350 if that's over kill, but if that is what is needed I will.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Click for full size
This is what I'm thinking...