All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Drift_91
join:2009-02-11
Perth, ON

Drift_91 to DKS

to DKS

Re: When will Tay Valley TWP have FttN? Or WISP alternatives?

said by DKS:

The speed of your line is determined by the way it is provisioned at the CO, not by any equipment you might install.

I was referring to the cost, not the performance. However I may be able to obtain better performance by using a router with better QoS, and load balancing. Although I understand the gains would be minimal, they would be of benefit in competitive online video games. Every microsecond of delay in the transmission of a packet makes a difference.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Drift_91:

said by DKS:

The speed of your line is determined by the way it is provisioned at the CO, not by any equipment you might install.

I was referring to the cost, not the performance. However I may be able to obtain better performance by using a router with better QoS, and load balancing.

Play with it all you want. I have explored just about every possible combination of router/modem over the years and there is not one iota of difference. I currently use a Netgear WNDR4000 with a Speedstream 4200 modem. Rock solid but not better than 5 meg/800. This is as good as it gets and has been on this connection 4.5 km from the CO for several years.

Drift_91
join:2009-02-11
Perth, ON

Drift_91

I'm not talking about raw throughput. I'm talking about packets arriving out of order and small things like that that only effect low-latency-VoIP and online gaming.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Drift_91:

I'm not talking about raw throughput. I'm talking about packets arriving out of order and small things like that that only effect low-latency-VoIP and online gaming.

Play with it all you want. I suspect your problems are elsewhere...