Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to Inssomniak

Re: nanobridge fix

said by Inssomniak:

We use it on tower sites, but that hasnt made a huge difference. Earlier this year lightning hit directly a site and blew 2 up in one crack along with the PoEs and router.

Holly crap, is the tower grounded ?.

One thing ive seen the cell phone company's doing on their sites they ground the antenna's mount's with 6AWG to a grounding bus at the top of the tower that runs down to their grounding ring. You might want to look into doing something similar.

Also don't forget the anti-ox on your grounding. I had to re-do grounding at once site because I never used it. After every storm the 3 devices near the top of the tower would crash and require a reboot.

When I tested the ground and found from one leg of our tower to the other leg's grounding rod it was 2 megohms. That was no good so I ran a new wire lower on the leg to the grounding rod and put some anti-ox on it. Now its under 300 ohms from anywhere on the second section to ground.

We also ground our enclosure box, Bypass our ups's for the POE ground as well as ground our switch's.

I have found ups's will have battery’s explode and the board inside will suffer damage if you have the poe's ground through the UPS.

said by Inssomniak:

Customers, not really, after the sour taste of tough cable gave us we never tried the new stuff.

I can't say I blame you, Its caused us tons of grief and re-work. The level 1 tough cable is by far the lowest quality junk wire ive ever worked with. I regret making the mistake of trusting ubiquiti to make wire.

I have since moved back to other vendors for the cable and will not be considering ubqiuiti cable until the relaunched product line has been tested for 2+ years by the community.

said by Inssomniak:

Some of the older stuff I dont mind replacing! I can finally get that 2024 MTU Ive been after!

That's a big jumbo MTU, Do you see any sort of performance improvement with it ?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

That's a big jumbo MTU, Do you see any sort of performance improvement with it ?

Not yet, too much of my network is still 1522/1524 max L2MTU. I hope one day to have it all swapped out, and finally pass a full frame packet in a VPLS tunnel end to end on my network without fragmentation.

Some parts of my network are really old.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to thewisperer
You got to keep in mind with these radio's that there is no path to ground except via the shield or negative on the POE power. NON... It wasn't that long ago they didn't even have a darned shielded RJ-45. We have lost them all, and in any configuration there is. It's just luck of the draw.

If there was a proper method to ground the chassis, it may help. And yeah, some can say having the mount grounded will help reduce the plastic case static build up, but I'm not buyin it. The are under $100 each. Just stock spares. That's really what it boils down to. Cheap is, as cheap does. If you want a radio that will survive it all, there are other devices for you. They are of course priced accordingly. And they fail too LOL
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Application of 1 " wide 3M 1181 Electroconductive tape to the non-RF side of the plastic cases and bonded to the drain of the FTP will help immensely to dissipate the static. Proper application includes a through cleaning of the plastic surface with alcohol, the gentle warming of the tape and case then the application of the tape and sufficient pressure to affect adhesion.

It is also necessary to make a bond from the FTP to the tower at the top, the bottom, and at the cabinet/building.

While this -might- not be worth the time and effort for most CPE installs, it is imperative for APs since many customers are affected by failures at the POP.
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
Or aluminum duct tape, eh'?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Uh, no. Copper, dude!

I saw your pic on how you do grounding on FTP. That is how it is done in the 'big time', kinda.

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
reply to thewisperer
Click for full size
can you see me now?

Just can't leave an empty hole there: looks "Mickey Mouse"

taken with my new iphone 5 (good change from 3gs)

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
Is that just a feedthrough gland or is it a RJ45 jack with a short pigtail?

thewisperer
Premium
just a feed through gland: I remember when Dan from Xagyl used to package his units with a jack and short pigtail. Had problems: so did I. Don't use them any more.

too bad the gland is not big enough for pass through with rj45

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to thewisperer
thewisperer did you have to drill the hole bigger to make the feed thru fit or not?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
Here is no way it fits in the stock hole. He had to have made it bigger. And round.

I like the colour coordination though. Beige RJ45 pass thru (maybe grey?), which I have never seen, and matching j-arm.

Hehe
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

thewisperer
Premium
reply to thewisperer
Click for full size
I did have to drill it bigger, and round: was easy with these bits
»www.amazon.com/Greenlee-34AR-6-S···01M0MDS4

and the j mount pictured there is a ubnt one: first one I order: nice paint job