spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10

Switching from Road Runner To EarthLink Cable to Save Money?

We had road runner cable 2 years ago. We signed up for the $29.99/month for 12 months promotion and it was great. I then found out what people did was after 12 months, discontinue road runner and switch to earthlink because after 12 month, road runner charged 44.95/month. And earthlink is 29.95/month for 1st six months. So someone suggested what you do is change every 6 months and one year with time warner and earthlink to save money.

Well its almost 1 year for road runner for us and i want to switch back to earthlink. As you know recently for nyc residents, we are charged $3.95 per month for the modem lease plus tax so lot of people are buying a modem as oppose to leasing it for $4.30 per month.

Does anyone know if one is allowed to change services before the 12th month with time warner without penalty?? Also, i spoke to support on chat and they said first thing i need to do is cancel time warner cable. However... they said i then had 2 options.

1. Then sign up for earthlink from time warner because they sell it. I'm pretty sure i did this last year as i recalled when i switched from TWC to earthlink and vice versa... the person on phone did everyone just like that turn off my internet and turn back on to make the switch. They said if i do this and switch to earthlink, i would still be charged the monthly lease fee for the modem.

2. Cancel time warner by calling them. Then call earthlink directly to get earthlink. The person told me if i do this... then i have to return the modem back to time warner. Is this true/false? He also said if i do this, that means someone from earthlink will come over to my house to install earthlink in my house. Is this true? I thought all they had to do was ship me in the modem? I recalled 2 years ago they had to come to my house to install the road runner cable and the person who came had to drill a hole through the wall for the wires etc. But now since i dont have to do this... does this mean they can't just ship me the modem? Also, i asked support isn't it true if i do it this way... then i won't have internet for some time since i would be cancelling road runner internet and waiting on for earthlink? Also they told me if i do it this way... then earthlink won't charge me a monthly rental fee for the modem like time warner does. Is this true/false? I don't really want to have like 10 days where i don't have any internet at all.

What i don't get is this. What happens when after 6 months, i switch back to time warner cable for the 12 months 29.99 pricing. Wouldn't that mean all i have to do is cancel earthlink and sign up with road runner but if i do this...would they need someone to come to my house to install the cable yet again?? The thing is if i do this... i heard earthlink gives you their CABLE MODEM FREE. Does anyone know if this is true or false?

Isn't my best option to just cancel time warner by calling them and then just buy the earthlink DIRECTLY from them? I was planning to just buy a cable modem anyways so i don't have to worry about all the stuff i have to go through such as needing to be home for them to install etc.

mathfaster

join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

I just switched back to RR/TWC from Earthlink a week ago. Previously I was with TWC and switched to Earthlink. I just called Earthlink. Since it is TWC in my area under the covers anyway I did not cancel TWC before switching. Earthlink took care of it all. In fact TWC is the one that called me as part of the switchover. TWC switched me over in about 5 minutes. Earthlink is not charging a modem rental fee so I think you can just keep the modem you have. Not totally sure about that but ask Earthlink when you call. hth. Your PayExpress account stays the same.

quickguide1

Hey. So when you were with TWC... did you call TWC to cancel and had to switch you to earthlink DIRECTLY ON THE PHONE?

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to quickguide1

No, I just called Earthlink directly after having found a phone number or website with the promo pricing. Can't remember which it was any more. I never canceled anything with TWC. All they are doing is changing the vendor on the account. It is still TWC under the covers. TWC still does all the billing. Your Pay Express account stays the same.

quickguide1

HI what do you mean by pay express account?

I called earthlink about it. They then transferred me to the person that was going to do it. However... that person said they couldn't sign me up for earthlink because they saw i was still under a service... which is time warner cable road runner.

I'm thinking could the reason be because there are 2 types of earthlink... the regular earthlink and the time warner earthlink? The person who i then spoke to on time warner chat told me if i switch to earthlink through them... it would be less hassle than canceling it and signing up with earthlink directly as i wont have any internet during that period which could take 10 days or so...

The earthlink person then said i had to call time warner to see whats the problem but i'm pretty sure when i first made the switch from road runner to earthlink like 1.5 years ago... im pretty sure i called time warner to do everything.....

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to quickguide1

MyServices I should probably say instead of PayExpress. They used to be 2 different signins but have since been merged. You can navigate to PayExpress from your TWC my services account. I think I actually found a third party front to do the signup with Earthlink which IIRC was Saveology? They just did what they needed to do. Be careful if you go via them as they signed me up for some bogus tech support which I then had to cancel. I'm sure there is more than one way to go about switching. As long as you get the promo pricing for 6 months with Earthlink I don't think it really matters.

quickguide1

okay so you say best thing to do is just ask time warner to switch me over to their earthlink right and thus they will cancel my service and restore it very fast?

If anyone else has changed from road runner to earthlink, can you tell me if you remembered if you had to cancel their road runner from time warner first before switching to earthlink? And more importantly, did you change to earthlink THROUGH TIME WARNER or just canceled your time warner road runner service and then called earthlink. I assume most did it the 1st way and thats the preferred way??

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19

Hi quickguide1. I worked as a CSR for TWC for several years and we always did the switchovers on the phone. It wasn't really canceling service, just changing the hsi on your account. Your account number, etc, remains the same. There should be no reason for installation but there is a brief loss of service as RR is removed and then EL added. Usually the customer rebooted the modem and router and everything worked fine.

There may be a change in procedure in the past few months, but again, it shouldn't take very long to switch.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

This is no longer the case. I was told that TWC cannot swap from Elink to RR because Elink needs a chance to save the customer.

quickguide1

jmruss what do you mean by this? I assume i can swap RR to Earthlink right? But once i do this for 6 months... then i can't swap back to TWC?

Fleeced

reply to quickguide1

You can, but TWC can't do it without letting earthlink try to save you. Just seems too much effort to constantly switch and get mad to me.

quickguide1

jmruss so you are saying that if i change now to earthlink, then its not a problem. But its the 6 months from now, then they would say NO?

The reason im doing this is because im paying 29.99/month with road runner and after 1 more month, its going to be 44.99 if im not mistaken. So someone mentioned back to me 2 years ago just switch back and forth that way you get the 29.99/month either with time warner or earthlink.

How much are you paying per month after the promotion with earthlink at the moment? When i had road runner and changed to earthlink it was no problem. Then i did the change from earthlink to road runner and it was no problem as well... this was back 1 year ago and then 6 months later.

When i did this, the person at time warner who helped me didn't think it was problem though even though they knew i did this for the promotion.

Fleeced

I'm not sure of the processes anymore, but it's not the simple swap. You can swap back but you can't just call TWC first, they'll send you to earthlink so they can "save" you first, then you'll be able to swap. I'm saying it's not as simple as it used to be.

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to Fleeced

said by Fleeced:

This is no longer the case. I was told that TWC cannot swap from Elink to RR because Elink needs a chance to save the customer.

Hmmm. I just did this on 11/1. Switched from Earthlink to TWC. I did it via TWC website. Never talked to Earthlink at all.

quickguide1

mathfaster how did you do this? You can actually do this online??? You did that so you could get the promotional pricing correct mathfaster?

When you did this, so basically it resets your modem etc?

mathfaster

Upland, CA

1 edit

I thought I used the link »www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···ans.html but I just called them to start the process to switchover from Earthlink to TWC. Takes like 5 minutes to switch one over and the CSR did it. I told the CSR I wanted the 12 month promo pricing. Yes I got the $29.95 pricing plus the $3.95 modem rental fee which I got removed last week once I got my own modem.

quickguide1

mathfaster do you know the other person here mentioned he couldn't make the switch? Also you were with earthlink for the 29.95 plan correct for 6 months? So basically when you made the switch on 11/1, you were just shy of 6 months with earthlink? And thus in less than 12 months, you will be calling time warner and have them switch you back to earthlink?

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to quickguide1

Yes I was with Earthlink for almost 6 months. This isn't a contract. Just 6 months of promotional pricing. Just call Earthlink and tell them you want to signup for Earthlink internet and that you are currently with TWC. Here's their website with the number to call: »www.earthlink.net/access/ and some info on pricing if you fill in your address. I don't know what I will be doing in 12 months. Things change.

quickguide1

Hi. At first i called earthlink to sign up for it. Problem was they told me they couldn't sign me up for earthlink because they saw i already had a service... meaning the time warner cable road runner. They told me to call time warner cable to make the switch as they couldn't do anything. Does that make sense? Apparently you can't switch to earthlink without first speaking to time warner right?

They told me to contact time warner to make the switch. What i'm worried about is if 6 months from now, i cant switch back from earthlink to time warner.

quickguide1

And mathfaster another thing. When you had earthlink... didn't they give you a cable modem when you first got earthlink? You mentioned you got a new modem so am i correct to assume you had to return that modem you got from earthlink to earthlink or timewarner to avoid the monthly lease for the modem?

mathfaster

Upland, CA

2 edits
reply to quickguide1

I had TWC first before Earthlink. TWC gave me the modem. I switched to Earthlink after being with TWC for a year and a half. I only had a 6 month promo with TWC but they did not raise my rates to full rates until after a year and a half at which time I switched to Earthlink. As I stated previously, I switched to Earthlink via a Saveology(?) promo. I never had to give a modem back to TWC. Just used the one TWC gave me when I went to Earthlink. Things change and I switched to Earthlink over 6 months ago. This was all before TWC started instituting modem rental fees.

Read this by someone who posts on this forum about switching: »stopthecap.com/2012/11/05/bright···tal-fee/

quickguide1

Okay mathfaster. So right now you are paying Time Warner 29.99/month for the 12 month promotion pricing. But did you return that modem back To timewarner as OF RIGHT NOW? I"m confused here as I'm confused why don't you have to give back the modem back to TWC because if you don't, aren't you getting charged the modem rental fee?

Basically you switched to time warner on 11/1 and then returned the modem back to them after you purchased a modem sometime before you returned the old modem to time warner??

I'm bit confused with your wording.

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to quickguide1

Yes I switched to TWC at $29.99/month promo pricing plus $3.95 modem rental fee. I used the modem I had with EL when I switched. I then ordered my own modem and had that provisioned then returned the leased modem to TWC. I now pay no modem fee.

quickguide1

okay thanks for clarifying that up!

quickguide1

Okay one last question. I just purchased a cable modem online but won't receive it till probably 10 days or so. So should i just call time warner now to change to earthlink and then when i get the modem call them again to activate my modem and return it to them?

Or should i just wait until i get my modem and then call them that not only do i want to change to earthlink but i will be returning their modem once i get my new one.

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to quickguide1

I switched from Earthlink to TWC. Then I added my own modem and returned the leased one. They prorate service. I just didn't want the switchover complicated by a modem. As I stated before, if you are going from TWC to EL why buy a modem. As far as I know and that link I gave pointed out, EL is not charging a modem fee at this time. My guess is you can just use the modem you have with TWC with EL. Ask them when you switch.

quickguide1

okay i just called TWC. They told me the 29.99/month we have with them for Road Runner ends on December 10 or so and after that, our monthly would be $38.99 after that. I then if i could change to Earthlink now then and they said yes HOWEVER... there is no promotional discount for our account. Is this completely new thing they have to prevent ppl from switching?

They said to call after December 10 to see what promotions they had for the earthlink b/c of as of right now, there are no promotions for us. I asked how much would it cost to change to earthlink now and they said 51.95/month so obviously that is way too much. I had thought road runner would charge us 45.95/month instead of 29.95/month after the 12 months but they said its $38.99/month so that isn't that bad. However, i thought doing the switch would be great as it saves us $15 each month but since its $39 a month, its $9 more.

Does anyone know if this is a new thing for time warner cable? Last year when i changed to earthlink after being with Time Warner Cable for the promotional pricing... i had no problems at all and they said yes i get the promotion 29.95 discount/month for 6 months with earthlink but right now i have NO PROMOTIONS? However... i think when i made the switch from RR to Earthlink, i did recall i made the switch like 1/2 a month into like the 13th month i was with RR so maybe i don't get the earthlink promotional pricing until the 12 months i'm with road runner ends??

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

When we switched to EL I did it through an online chat with an EL rep. They took all of my info and setup the account that way. The only thing the TW rep did when I called in was to switch my modem info over from one account to the other. Or at least that's what they told me they were doing. Try contacting EL directly and see what they offer.

quickguide1

i contacted EL a few days ago. They told me they couldn't sign me up for earthlink because they saw that my line... had internet at the moment which was the road runner. They told me i needed to contact time warner and have them cancel my road runner service or have them change to earthlink...

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

A few things I have picked up from our readers over the years that will save some hassles:

1) After your TWC broadband promotion is due to expire, you will receive a postcard or letter offering to continue service for a less-discounted rate, but lower than the rack price. This is the $38.99 rate mentioned above. In 2011, TWC began implementing a price-sensitive promotion adjustment program that gradually reprices service coming off promotions in an effort to reduce bill shock. So while an expiring $29.99 monthly rate used to head to $50, provoking customers to explore their options, a gradual increase of $9 a month, then $19 and so on is much more likely to be received by customers with a shrug.

2) Earthlink service is literally just a choice on a TWC employee's screen. The service transition is seamless (excepting no Powerboost and no rr.com e-mail account). It is much faster to call TWC to establish service with Earthlink than to place on order on Earthlink's web page (they will tell you to call TWC anyway if you already have TWC broadband). Earthlink's service qualifier has gotten buggy over the last year and may declare no service at your address, even though there is. Also, as of late, Earthlink has been pushing customers to the more expensive 15Mbps tier on their site. Don't bother. TWC and Earthlink speeds move in tandem. When TWC upgrades all Standard accounts to at least 15Mbps within the next 45 days, Earthlink speeds will match.

3) Once on an Earthlink promo, when it ends, you can approach TWC as a new broadband customer and secure new customer promotional pricing. The only exception is if you are on one of TWC's price protection contracts or if the regional TWC operation in insistent on limiting one promotional package to every 12-18 months. A talk with a supervisor and a threat to leave always gets you an override, however.

4) Local CSRs are not always able to access every TWC promotion. If you want to go back to TWC after an Earthlink promo and TWC says there are no promos available, e-mail twcable.help@twcable.com and see if they can locate something for you, or sign up through one of the third party offers available when you Google Time Warner Cable.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com