Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mathfaster

join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

2 edits
reply to quickguide1

Re: Switching from Road Runner To EarthLink Cable to Save Money?

I had TWC first before Earthlink. TWC gave me the modem. I switched to Earthlink after being with TWC for a year and a half. I only had a 6 month promo with TWC but they did not raise my rates to full rates until after a year and a half at which time I switched to Earthlink. As I stated previously, I switched to Earthlink via a Saveology(?) promo. I never had to give a modem back to TWC. Just used the one TWC gave me when I went to Earthlink. Things change and I switched to Earthlink over 6 months ago. This was all before TWC started instituting modem rental fees.

Read this by someone who posts on this forum about switching: »stopthecap.com/2012/11/05/bright···tal-fee/

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10

Okay mathfaster. So right now you are paying Time Warner 29.99/month for the 12 month promotion pricing. But did you return that modem back To timewarner as OF RIGHT NOW? I"m confused here as I'm confused why don't you have to give back the modem back to TWC because if you don't, aren't you getting charged the modem rental fee?

Basically you switched to time warner on 11/1 and then returned the modem back to them after you purchased a modem sometime before you returned the old modem to time warner??

I'm bit confused with your wording.

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to quickguide1

Yes I switched to TWC at $29.99/month promo pricing plus $3.95 modem rental fee. I used the modem I had with EL when I switched. I then ordered my own modem and had that provisioned then returned the leased modem to TWC. I now pay no modem fee.

quickguide1

okay thanks for clarifying that up!

quickguide1

Okay one last question. I just purchased a cable modem online but won't receive it till probably 10 days or so. So should i just call time warner now to change to earthlink and then when i get the modem call them again to activate my modem and return it to them?

Or should i just wait until i get my modem and then call them that not only do i want to change to earthlink but i will be returning their modem once i get my new one.

mathfaster

Upland, CA
reply to quickguide1

I switched from Earthlink to TWC. Then I added my own modem and returned the leased one. They prorate service. I just didn't want the switchover complicated by a modem. As I stated before, if you are going from TWC to EL why buy a modem. As far as I know and that link I gave pointed out, EL is not charging a modem fee at this time. My guess is you can just use the modem you have with TWC with EL. Ask them when you switch.

quickguide1

okay i just called TWC. They told me the 29.99/month we have with them for Road Runner ends on December 10 or so and after that, our monthly would be $38.99 after that. I then if i could change to Earthlink now then and they said yes HOWEVER... there is no promotional discount for our account. Is this completely new thing they have to prevent ppl from switching?

They said to call after December 10 to see what promotions they had for the earthlink b/c of as of right now, there are no promotions for us. I asked how much would it cost to change to earthlink now and they said 51.95/month so obviously that is way too much. I had thought road runner would charge us 45.95/month instead of 29.95/month after the 12 months but they said its $38.99/month so that isn't that bad. However, i thought doing the switch would be great as it saves us $15 each month but since its $39 a month, its $9 more.

Does anyone know if this is a new thing for time warner cable? Last year when i changed to earthlink after being with Time Warner Cable for the promotional pricing... i had no problems at all and they said yes i get the promotion 29.95 discount/month for 6 months with earthlink but right now i have NO PROMOTIONS? However... i think when i made the switch from RR to Earthlink, i did recall i made the switch like 1/2 a month into like the 13th month i was with RR so maybe i don't get the earthlink promotional pricing until the 12 months i'm with road runner ends??

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

When we switched to EL I did it through an online chat with an EL rep. They took all of my info and setup the account that way. The only thing the TW rep did when I called in was to switch my modem info over from one account to the other. Or at least that's what they told me they were doing. Try contacting EL directly and see what they offer.

quickguide1

i contacted EL a few days ago. They told me they couldn't sign me up for earthlink because they saw that my line... had internet at the moment which was the road runner. They told me i needed to contact time warner and have them cancel my road runner service or have them change to earthlink...

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

A few things I have picked up from our readers over the years that will save some hassles:

1) After your TWC broadband promotion is due to expire, you will receive a postcard or letter offering to continue service for a less-discounted rate, but lower than the rack price. This is the $38.99 rate mentioned above. In 2011, TWC began implementing a price-sensitive promotion adjustment program that gradually reprices service coming off promotions in an effort to reduce bill shock. So while an expiring $29.99 monthly rate used to head to $50, provoking customers to explore their options, a gradual increase of $9 a month, then $19 and so on is much more likely to be received by customers with a shrug.

2) Earthlink service is literally just a choice on a TWC employee's screen. The service transition is seamless (excepting no Powerboost and no rr.com e-mail account). It is much faster to call TWC to establish service with Earthlink than to place on order on Earthlink's web page (they will tell you to call TWC anyway if you already have TWC broadband). Earthlink's service qualifier has gotten buggy over the last year and may declare no service at your address, even though there is. Also, as of late, Earthlink has been pushing customers to the more expensive 15Mbps tier on their site. Don't bother. TWC and Earthlink speeds move in tandem. When TWC upgrades all Standard accounts to at least 15Mbps within the next 45 days, Earthlink speeds will match.

3) Once on an Earthlink promo, when it ends, you can approach TWC as a new broadband customer and secure new customer promotional pricing. The only exception is if you are on one of TWC's price protection contracts or if the regional TWC operation in insistent on limiting one promotional package to every 12-18 months. A talk with a supervisor and a threat to leave always gets you an override, however.

4) Local CSRs are not always able to access every TWC promotion. If you want to go back to TWC after an Earthlink promo and TWC says there are no promos available, e-mail twcable.help@twcable.com and see if they can locate something for you, or sign up through one of the third party offers available when you Google Time Warner Cable.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to quickguide1

What happens if you keep switching to EL then TWC then back again. Do you get a new email address everytime. I did not want to switch to TWC because I have my EL address for over 10 years now.

mathfaster

Upland, CA

said by tonyram57:

What happens if you keep switching to EL then TWC then back again. Do you get a new email address everytime. I did not want to switch to TWC because I have my EL address for over 10 years now.

They warn you that switching from EL to TWC causes loss of EL email when you call to make the switch.

djm61
Change? HAH

join:2001-06-20
Simi Valley, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to tonyram57

You can do what I did years ago and downgrade your EL account to email only for 5.95 a month. Its a pain paying for an email address but it was easier than switching emails on all the accounts it was associated with.

I just did a switch back to EL from Roadrunner and it was easy and painless. Called EL and set it up and they connected me with RR and the nice lady switched me over with no hassles except trying to upsell me to their CableMAX package. All done with no hassles.
--
I haz met da emeny and them is us!

wizzle
Premium
join:2004-06-15
Durham, NC
reply to tonyram57

said by tonyram57:

This is why you obtain an email from someone OTHER than your ISP. Get a gmail/hotmail/yahoo/etc.

ISPs provide you with a free email address(es) for that exact reason. They hope you are so tied to the email address that you won't cancel your service with them in fear of losing it.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

I do have a email address from Hotmail since 1998 (when I was changing ISP's every month with dial-up) and Gmail since 2003 which I do use. It is my mother and fathers email address that they use from Earthlink I also can't lose and have since 2001.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

I switched to TW for a while and still could access Earthlink email. YMMV

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to quickguide1

i get a $10 coop building (right of way) discount from twc, so instead of paying first year $30/mo for standard 15/1 plan, i only pay $20/mo.

will that still apply if i do the twc to earthlink switch after my first year is up with twc?

if i pay earthlink $30/mo first year instead of twc $40-10 second year, then it obviously does not pay for me to switch.