All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
quickguide1
join:2010-02-10

quickguide1 to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

Okay im going to purchase a modem from ebay. I use time warner 29.99/month road runner.

Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem

Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem

One cost $56 whereas the other costs $65. Is there anything different about the two? One person mentioned the $65 one the sb5101 didn't work because his was made in UK and not usa and thus not compatible with time warner??

Also another silly question. I have a linkssy wrt54g router that i currently use. I see people talking about wanting to buy a cheap modem with wireless. Do they mean like a modem where has wireless capabilities so they just need a modem to have both internet and wireless?

I have a linksys wrt54 router so it doesn't matter which modem i buy from the 2 above right?

Another question. Can i just buy the same RCA modem from time warner? Someone said they actually did this and it work even though in the time warner page they said its not one of the ones that they require???

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You cannot use a EuroDOCSIS Modem on TWC. As long as the SB5101 is from the US, it'll work. I don't think the U in the SB5101U indicates it's from the US, it's just a different version of the SB5101.

Technically, you can use any DOCSIS2/3 modem with TWC. As long as you can get the customer service rep to enter the MAC address, it'll work.

As for the bill, I believe they'll prorate even the modem fee.

Terrys spot

Anon

Hi, I live in Southport,NC. Below Wilimington. I received my "card" About the $3.95 per month charge. So Ny Ker's You are not the only ones... I have a Motorola SB5120...I contacted TW Chat. They told me it was not approved and would not address. By what i have been reading here, that's not true?