uniqs
dlloyd6
join:2011-04-05
El Cerrito, CA

1 edit

dlloyd6

ZyXEL USG with IPV6 on Comcast.

Hello,
I have a USG 50 and have recently tried to set it up for IPV6 on Comcast. I'm getting IPV6 DHCP addresses for both my WAN and LAN but cannot connect to the Internet.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS. When I ran "apt-get update" on a Debian Linux box today, it worked fine! As it ran update checks it echoed the IPV6 addresses it was talking to.

I have noticed that whilst the Windows PCs all get IPV6 addresses, they do not have DNS servers set.
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

1 recommendation

JPedroT

Premium Member

There was a post in this forum awhile back that was a guide to do what you want to do.

If you ping a V6 address, does it work then? If yes, its not a routing issue, but as you mentioned a DNS issue.

I do not remember how Windows behaves, but you can inform hosts about DNS servers in about 3 ways

1. DHCPv6, ie you send out the DNS server info with DHCPv6.
2. RA, ie you out the DNS server info with Router Advertisments
3. You have a local DNS servers that answers on the proper multicast address.

Now the fun part, until quite recent versions I believe, Windows liked DHCPv6 way only, Mac OS X liked the RA way only, or the other way around.

So have DNS server on your LAN or make sure RA DNS and DHCPv6 DNS is turned on.
dlloyd6
El Cerrito, CA

dlloyd6

Thanks for following-up on this. I did follow these instructions, which match the information given in the manual:

»[IPv6] Make IPv6 work with ZyWALL USG 50
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT to dlloyd6

Premium Member

to dlloyd6
traceroute and ping your LAN GW, ISP GW and www.vg.no with IPv6 what happens then?
dlloyd6
El Cerrito, CA

4 edits

dlloyd6

Hello,
From a Windows 8 computer (with teredo & isatap both disabled) I can traceroute and ping the USG LAN GW link local address OK, but not the DHCP address (request timed out).

The WAN only has a link local address, and it comes back as 'destination host unreachable'.

The Windows 8 PC I'm using has an IPV6 address, a temporary IPV6 address, and a Link Local address. It has the default gateway set as the USG LAN GW link local address, but no IPV6 DNS servers are set...

PS. Interestingly, pinging www.vg.no shows the IPV6 address 2001:67c:21e0::16, but the request times out. Pinging 2001:67c:21e0::16 times out too.

Thanks.

Also, from OS X 10.7 (Lion) DHCPV6 is supported:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ··· _systems
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

That looks like a routing issue then, your WAN and LAN probably should also have V6 global space addresses.

In regards to the V6 address for www.vg.no it probably queries the DNS server over V4 and gets the AAAA that way.

So the question is, why do you not have V6 global space addresses on your WAN & LAN ports of the USG.
dlloyd6
El Cerrito, CA

1 recommendation

dlloyd6

Thanks again for getting back to me on this issue.

Some great news, I contacted a senior networking engineer at Comcast who is on their IPV6 project team. He is looking into this issue and Zyxel have already sent him a USG 50 to work with.

So I should hear back from Comcast with some info. soonish.
polarisdb
join:2004-07-12
USA

polarisdb

said by dlloyd6:

Thanks again for getting back to me on this issue.

Some great news, I contacted a senior networking engineer at Comcast who is on their IPV6 project team. He is looking into this issue and Zyxel have already sent him a USG 50 to work with.

So I should hear back from Comcast with some info. soonish.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Please share your findings.
dlloyd6
El Cerrito, CA

dlloyd6

I certainly will. Thanks again.