·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to graysonf

Re: netopia 3347-02-1006L

said by graysonf:

said by burris:

Specifically I need the router to port forward UDP (5004 to 65000) pointed to 192.168.1.150.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can forward a range of ports that large and/or to that high a port number on that router.

You are right about the high port number. Since it is late in the evening, and there were only a couple of users on-line, I tried the OP's port range, and it barfed on the high port number.

However, the OP should be able to put the device needing the high port number into the 3347's DMZ (called the default NAT server), and not have to use port forwarding (assuming that the device has its own firewall and putting it into the DMZ would not be a problem).

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

burris
Premium
join:2000-08-22
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Thanks, guys....

I was familiar with all the things you both indicated and the port range refused for me as well.
I've never been comfortable using the DMZ for my setup.
I did have it set to clear sailing as the SPI firewall setting on any of the routers tends to interfere with the Voip from time to time. I use a 3rd party firewall with no problems.

I have never had a good result using a combo modem/router, especially with Voip that I have used exclusively for many years now.

With all my other modems and routers, I have no problems. For me, the Voip works flawlessly when I assign a fixed IP to the ATA and have the router point to it for the full port range indicated..

I guess like we all tend to do with spare time...try to conquer new frontiers and reinvent the wheel. My shelves are already cluttered with devices that I'll never live long enough to use. I will put the 3347s along with them.

Thanks once again....

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:1

said by burris:

Thanks, guys....

I have never had a good result using a combo modem/router, especially with Voip that I have used exclusively for many years now.

Generally speaking separating the modem and the router are the better approach. This allows you to buy a modem once, put it into bridging mode and forget it until it breaks.

Then you can change routers until you get happy. I would imagine that there are some pretty strong SOHO type units that can handle just about anything. But for me I have gone with things like m0n0wall or pfsense running on rather meager PC type hardware or specifically for firewall type headless x86 units.