share rss forum feed

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

HD signal distribution throughout the house

I am looking for a way to distribute an HD signal thoughout our house from a DirecTV receiver to 2-3 different TV's. Previously we used an RF modulator and sent the signal back on the coax to the other rooms on Channel 3. We have upgraded those TV's to HD and are now looking for a way to send HD service to them, preferably using the existing coax if possible. Each TV has a home run coax line back to a central location in the house. Is there an HD/ATSC RF modulator? Any other ideas are also greatly appreciated.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

You probably would need something like this...although the price is outrageous.

»sewelldirect.com/HDMI-over-Coax-···odLT8ArA

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to ilikeme

I think you're better off getting DirecTV receivers, one for each TV than to go through expense of distributing HD signals throughout the house. Will be cheaper and a lot more flexible.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

said by ArthurS:

I think you're better off getting DirecTV receivers, one for each TV than to go through expense of distributing HD signals throughout the house. Will be cheaper and a lot more flexible.

Thought about it, but those TV's are not used constantly, so it does not make sense to pay for additional subscriptions for them when they may go a month or two without being used.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to ilikeme

Doing HD over coax is not cheap either:
»www.hdtvsupply.com/4x4-hdmi-matr···oax.html
»www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-coax.html

Even baluns over CAT6 are pretty spendy.

So whether it makes sense or not is up to you.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to ilikeme

Get a STB like you're supposed too. Quit trying to "beat the system" or you get just go OTA in those rooms which would be better than nothing.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

said by 88615298:

Get a STB like you're supposed too. Quit trying to "beat the system" or you get just go OTA in those rooms which would be better than nothing.

We are not trying to "beat the system." DirecTV actually installed it this way since these rooms are used less often and it did not make sense to pay for individual receivers for them. What we have decided to do for at least now is add another receiver for the kitchen HDTV and have it on its own since it is used on a daily basis. The office and two guest bedrooms will still share a receiver since the two bedrooms are not used as often. They are also close enough together to where it would be easy and inexpensive to use an hdmi splitter and run hdmi cables to them if we decide to.
--

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

While it isn't an ideal solution, if the other TVs really get used that rarely, you could just pick up some extra power cords off ebay. Setup the power and HDMI lines at each TV where they are easily accessible, and keep a single spare receiver to move around to whichever TV needed it at that particular time.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to ilikeme

As I said. OTA would provide some channels. Since they are not used that much shouldn't that be good enough?

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

said by 88615298:

As I said. OTA would provide some channels. Since they are not used that much shouldn't that be good enough?

Nope.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA

How about a ZVBox? »zeevee.com/products/zvbox

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

They start at what, $1,000?

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by Camelot One:

They start at what, $1,000?

Well $800 if you look around a bit.

The OP did not say what his budget was and QAM/ATSC modulators are not cheap.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Premium
West Tenness
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

said by 88615298:

Nope.

Why not if they are not used that much? Well I suggest you pay for extra boxes then. Besides if you connect everyone to the same box everyone has to watch what the main box is watching. I'd think OTA would be better than that option.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to b10010011

said by b10010011:

Well $800 if you look around a bit.

You could rent 3 STB for 4 years before you'd spend $800

too bad DirecTV uses neither QAM nor ATSC

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

said by 88615298:

A QAM/ATSC modulator would take the output from a DirecTV receiver and feed it over the house coax to the other TVs, which would then "tune" the channel just as if it was OTA. It's the HD version of those old coax modulators that fed a 480 line RCA input over coax on channel 3 or 4.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by ilikeme:

said by 88615298:

Nope.

Why not if they are not used that much? Well I suggest you pay for extra boxes then. Besides if you connect everyone to the same box everyone has to watch what the main box is watching. I'd think OTA would be better than that option.

Well aware of that. They already are on the same box, its just in SD.
--

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Camelot One

said by Camelot One:

said by 88615298:

A QAM/ATSC modulator would take the output from a DirecTV receiver and feed it over the house coax to the other TVs, which would then "tune" the channel just as if it was OTA. It's the HD version of those old coax modulators that fed a 480 line RCA input over coax on channel 3 or 4.

I was looking for something along those lines, just preferably less than about $400.
--

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
reply to 88615298

No but the HDTV's the OP wants to send signal over coax to receive QAM/ATSC so that is the type of modulator that will be required to send an HD signal over coax to the the RF input of these TV's
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/