spc
Search similar:

uniqs
snedo
join:2008-07-20
Hilliard, OH

snedo

Thinking about buying a Grand Marquis

I've been on the hunt for a new car lately, and I've been keeping my eyes on the Grand Marquis. I'm finding bargain prices so far (ex. 10k for a 2007 LS with 24,000 miles). I need something cheap, big, reliable, and with decent power. Is there anything I should look for when going to buy a used one? Things I should look for/avoid? Any input is helpful.

I've also really have always liked these cars. Nice and comfortable, simple instrument clusters, good power when you need it, decent gas mileage.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

I just traded my 2002 Crown Victoria LX Sport a few months ago. Same car as a Grand Marquis, except for some trim items. Loved it. One of the best cars I've ever owned.

There's always the obvious stuff to look for like repairs, CarFax reports, signs of rust starting, signs of neglect, etc. But a 2007 with lower miles should be fine. Since they're body-on-frame, minor accident damage isn't as big of a deal as unibody cars.

Mechanically, they're fairly bullet proof, as long as they get proper care and feeding. See if there are service records, which would be a big plus. The Grand Marquis LS will be nicely equipped and is the equivalent of a Crown Victoria LX.

A nice option to have is the "high output" engine, aka performance package. It's basically dual exhaust and possibly a higher (numeric) rear end. The dual exhaust is easy to spot, just look at the back of the car and tail pipes on either side. If it only has a passenger side tail pipe, then it's not high performance. The difference is only about 15-20 HP, but I've driven both and the cars with dual exhaust are "crisper".

Another great option is the air springs in the back. They auto level the car. I once had 12 cases of water in my trunk and 4 people in the car. It didn't sag one bit. More importantly, it didn't handle like there was an extra 700 pounds in the car. I'm not sure if they can be retrofitted, but most likely. Even if you never load people or cargo into it, I prefer the air spring ride.

There really isn't a weak point on them. Transmissions are good for 120,000 miles or more. The rear ends are solid. The engine can handle a few revs now and then, but usually just lopes along, ready to deliver power when you need it.

In the 7 years I owned mine, I had to replace the A/C compressor. I lived in Vegas at the time, so it ran a LOT, and this wasn't a surprise. It wasn't horribly expensive, either. I had a few minor front end issues which were mostly wear items, bushings, etc. I was religious about maintenance. Mine had Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires when I got it. I stayed with them when those were worn out, and that set still at around 40% with over 40,000 miles when I traded it. Aside from wear items and the aforementioned repairs, that was it. And I drive my cars hard.

Personally, if I were to buy another Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, I'd want one with fewer than 50,000 miles. That seems to be the sweet spot.

Oh and mine got 23 MPG on the open road when my wife drove it.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

DeltaElite to snedo

to snedo
As Taxi's they have a 1 million mile service life...

ullet proff is an understatement....at 27 k it isn't even broke in yet....You can extend the tranny life with a fluid cooler and other the brakes tires and oil and gas 200k isnt even getting started.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by DeltaElite:

You can extend the tranny life with a fluid cooler and other the brakes tires and oil and gas 200k isnt even getting started.

The interceptors had all that. There are many law enforcement officers lamenting the demise of the Crown Vic...
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to snedo

to snedo
We have had one for 7 years(got it at 30k) and it has 150k miles on it. Very reliable car, as long as you follow the schedule. The known problems for the crown vic/grand marquis are the AC Control Module(problem: ac blows out of vents) and Light Control Module(no low beams). Don't know if Ford fixed it for 2007, but it wasn't too much money to replace.
Suspension is nice and smooth. Brakes stop the car fast. Engine is powerful, transmission is smooth. Paint quality is also very good. Gas mileage(my data, not EPA) is about 16/25.
I hope you never have to experience this, but the car is also safe. Been in a front end accident, and the car had less damage than I thought. Rear ended/backed into 4 times, and the rear bumper is still strong. Great car.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to snedo

Premium Member

to snedo
They are great cars. I need a car for my daughter in the next year or so and am hoping to score a good deal on one. There are a bunch out there, low miles, driven by a little old lady, etc.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

Irun Man to snedo

Premium Member

to snedo
Production ended last year with the 2011 model. Solid as a rock and very comfortable for a 20 year old design.
snedo
join:2008-07-20
Hilliard, OH

snedo

In about 6 or so months I'll have a good chunk of change saved up, so I'll start looking. Thanks for all of the help, guys.

Though, looking around on auto trader I'm seeing good deals on the 2003-2004 Mercury Marauders. 70k miles, for $10,000. Now this would be a fun car...

A man can dream...

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

If you can swing a Marauder in good shape, that's DEFINITELY the Panther platform's best iteration. Barring that, a Crown Victoria LX Sport (Marauder minus the Cobra engine and a few suspension mods) or its sister car, the Grand Marquis LSE.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Mospaw:

If you can swing a Marauder i

Yes, this...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· M_NodiTU